Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 291 Next >>
Topic: Pencil Practice -- and Beyond! Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 November 2018 at 11:05am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I've read a few articles where C.B. Cebulski has publicly said he would like to see the book happen. I can't imagine someone in his position saying that if the company had concerns about working with you. 

Back to Top profile | search

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 November 2018 at 11:05am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Whatever happens it's good for this fan to see you drawing again and awful nice to have it shared. Speculation aside, I absolutely love and appreciate my nostalgia getting stoked with what got me into comics in the first place.

Paul Wills
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 November 2018 at 2:32pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I would hope they would see past any unsubstantiated rumors about you and see the potential for success with this series - especially based on the successful work you've done in the past (which is still being released in various reprinted formats to this day). I know it would bring people back to purchasing comics who haven't done so in quite some time (myself included).
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 November 2018 at 4:34pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I would love to see this happen.

Then again, I would be happy to read just about anything new that JB writes and draws! It is my hope that while the possibility of this X-MEN series becoming a reality is out there, other viable ideas (that would be at home over at IDW) are growing in the head of my favorite comic book creator!
Back to Top profile | search | www

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 November 2018 at 12:56am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

JB mentions something that I have been thinking about a bit over the past few weeks.
Will some right wing idiot start to post out of context stuff from this forum in an arrempt to get him removed.

It really is not about whether the company knows of anything controversial, it isn’t about whether those things are controversial. It is about whether some idiot drags something up, uses it to attack, & the company rolls over & caves without even attempting to stand by their employee/freelancer.
We live in very dangerous times where what people say now impacts what people are allowed to do, regardless of context. Unless you are the President or one of his friends.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Oliver Denker
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 November 2018 at 2:28am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

"Will some right wing idiot start to post out of context stuff from this forum in an arrempt to get him removed.

It really is not about whether the company knows of anything controversial, it isn’t about whether those things are controversial. It is about whether some idiot drags something up, uses it to attack, & the company rolls over & caves without even attempting to stand by their employee/freelancer.
We live in very dangerous times where what people say now impacts what people are allowed to do, regardless of context. Unless you are the President or one of his friends."

Better not give anyone stupid ideas...

Brennan Voboril
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 November 2018 at 7:23am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

It would really be sad if this project didn't happen because of quotes taken out of context in order to "prove" that John Byrne is a bad man. 

On a related note, I read today about Mark Dice's trolling of Target in order to make a point about today's sensitive atmosphere.  Dice succeeded in getting Target to remove a photo of a white child in a Black Panther Halloween costume.  Wild.

Edited by Brennan Voboril on 02 November 2018 at 7:26am

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 02 November 2018 at 7:27am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

…a photo of a white child in a Black Panther Halloween costume…

••

In today's climate, I wonder if the Panther would even have a chance to exist. I mean, two middle aged Jewish White guys decide to invent a fictional African country/culture?

Steve Coates
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 November 2018 at 7:57am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

...and perhaps two young Jewish white guys would not dare to make their perfect warrior a blonde haired, blue eyed, caucasian male?

Manuel Soler
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 November 2018 at 8:33am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Supposing that today the Elsewhen project got Marvel's aproval, aprox how many months should the comic need to be released?

Steve Green
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 November 2018 at 9:20am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Steve Coates: "...and perhaps two young Jewish white guys would not dare to make their perfect warrior a blonde haired, blue eyed, caucasian male?"

If you're referring to Captain America, the US Army of that period would not have countenanced any other ethnicity for its propaganda superhero, so Simon & Kirby reflected that. I recently watched a wartime information film aimed at US troops stationed in the UK, in which Burgess Meredith very lightly touched upon the fact this country did not have racial segregation (at least, not overtly) and visitors from the South would have to adjust accordingly.

Edited by Steve Green on 02 November 2018 at 11:19am
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Steve Coates
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 November 2018 at 10:53am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I was at the least, borrowing the first three words of John's first sentence. And perhaps alluding to the myriad societal pressures of the current day, affecting the creative process.

Considering the timing of the creation and publication of Captain America, I doubt any thought was given to what the US Army might like and more consideration was given to the target audience.

<< Prev Page of 291 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version