Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 291 Next >>
Topic: Pencil Practice -- and Beyond! Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 19 October 2018 at 10:01am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

A comment from the SyFy clip...

“I would love if he came back to X-Men but only if he didn't do the art rushed and ‘sketchy’ like he did Wonder Woman. He made her look like amateurish drawing. Back in the X-Men days his art was perfect, the backgrounds were refined the foregrounds were detailed you could see the emotion on their faces. It was comics at their best.”

...to which I can only say ”Huh?”

Back to Top profile | search

Richard Palmgren
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 October 2018 at 10:06am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

One writer once said that Cyclops was the "Batman" of the X-men universe:  brooding, driven, focused, channeling his personal tragedy into becoming a brilliant tactician and leader; seeds that were definitely planted, even in his artistic representation, during your run

and on another note, 

I've spent almost 40 years dreaming of a continuation of the "real" Scott and Jean story told by the one person who could tell it, so to be this close to having it actually happen is amazing

Ernest Degollado
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 October 2018 at 10:11am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

JB, let me translate that for you. 

"Back in the X-Men days his art was perfect..."

That means your art looked just like I think it should look. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 19 October 2018 at 10:25am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Nostalgia is powerful. My original work on UNCANNY was FAR from “perfect”. Ask Howard Chaykin! 😉

Altho there have been plenty of ups and downs in my career, the general direction has been up, and those who have memories of my X stuff being the best of the best are really not looking!

Brennan Voboril
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 October 2018 at 10:29am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I studied the recent Uncanny AE and I would say your art is much better today.  I also believe those saying otherwise are driven by nostalgia.  

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 19 October 2018 at 10:39am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Re: WONDER WOMAN. The chap who thinks my work on that series was rushed (sigh) and sketchy should try a Google search for the black and white art. WONDER WOMAN had some of the worst printing I’ve seen in American comics, the scans done so poorly lines dropped out all over the place. (On the last page of my last issue, Diana has no right hand!) Our uninformed friend might be interpreting that as a flaw in my work.

Dunno what I can make of his complaints about detail and facial expressions, tho!

Paul Wills
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 October 2018 at 12:03pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I have those Wonder Woman issues. I don't know what WW issues he was looking at...
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 October 2018 at 12:43pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

"Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown..."

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 19 October 2018 at 1:03pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

“Forget it” worked when these things were contained in LoCs that could be consigned to the circular file as the nonsense they were. But once something is on the Internet it needs to be addressed. Leave it unchallenged, and it joins “his old stuff was better” and “he never draws backgrounds” and “all his faces look the same” and other such drivel.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 19 October 2018 at 1:14pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

It’s occurred to me, that even tho I am swearing up and down that I will not harm these characters, for many readers a “reset” would do exactly that. There were, for instance, those who were furious when I restored Magneto to his villainous ways in HIDDEN YEARS, even tho that was appropriate to the period. He’d be showing up in this series, too, along with non-dickish Scott, unMachiavellian Xavier, and a flock of others who had not yet gone thru the shredder.

I’ve often said, in all seriousness, that I must have been holding Chris back, since the book took off once I left. ELSEWHEN would be a real test!

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 October 2018 at 1:30pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

JB: ...But once something is on the Internet it needs to be addressed. Leave it unchallenged, and it joins “his old stuff was better” and “he never draws backgrounds” and “all his faces look the same” and other such drivel.

Good point.

I meant the quote to refer specifically to solving the mystery of WHY Anonymous Internet Critic believes what he believes.

But it does seem like stupid opinions take on magical life once they are posted and when they can affect a livelihood, stupid opinions need to be contradicted.

Dale E Ingram
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 October 2018 at 1:56pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I think the difference between when you first started doing Hidden Years and now is that readers are more accustomed to these kind of alternate universe books that branch off from a specific point in time and offer a creator's vision for how it could have gone.

We had X-Men Forever, New Mutants Forever,  X-Factor Forever, and even Ultimate X-Men and Exiles, all alternative universes, and all of these have primed readers so they can keep these alternate takes separate. 

I was one of those readers that loved what Claremont did with X-Men over his run, but I'm just as excited to see where ELSEWHEN can go if it makes it to series.

Also, considering everything that has happened to Scott Summers in the last 10 years, if you present readers with a viable non-dickish Scott Summers, the fans might just give you a statue on the grounds of the X-Mansion.

<< Prev Page of 291 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version