Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 291 Next >>
Topic: Pencil Practice -- and Beyond! Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 October 2018 at 10:29pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

As is my way with these things, I gravitated toward the original team, when I was a kid. This despite the All-New team being at the top of the sales charts, during that era. I was more inclined to seek out issues of X-FACTOR in the back issue bins, rather than the main X-MEN book.

I still have a lot of fondness for the All-New team, of course, but the smaller original team and their dynamics just hit a nerve. Five teenagers against the world, y’know? You had a more mild version of the classic Stan Lee love triangle plot with Scott/Jean/Warren. There was a Thing/Torch dynamic with Hank and Bobby. Bobby was the kid with the attitude. Scott was the cool, brooding one, and an expert tactician. Professor X was the strict taskmaster with a dream. Hank was the smart one. Warren was the slightly spoiled rich kid. Jean was the heart.

Certain elements of that original team and that original run are certainly riffs on Marvel’s other team books of the era. And the book itself wasn’t really quite at the level of Marvel’s A-list books until the end of the original run, with Thomas/Adams. But, there’s just something about it which works for me on a fundamental level. I think the original series’ cult-popularity is a part of its charm. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 October 2018 at 11:57pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I've been buying (and reading) JB's run as artist on X-Men (and, boy, are those Dark Phoenix issues getting expensive, I guess because of the new movie which looks terrible to me). His new stuff is better. 
Back to Top profile | search

Richard Palmgren
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 October 2018 at 7:31am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

To me, The X-Men have always been about family and legacy; kinda like STAR TREK-  you have the original team laying down all the ground work and dynamics and then the next generation team to enrich that.  Whenever the original crew would be mentioned or appear in Next Generation, there was a certain thrill to see the "old crew" interact with the newbies, not to mention the excitement thinking about reunions.  Hidden Years was a dream come true because you had new adventures and new dynamics with the "old crew".  Elsewhen is a dream come true because you have the excitement and thrill of the possibilities of the "old crew" interacting with the newbies, just like they did in the original run (108-138) and a continuation of the magic that was started then.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 11 October 2018 at 12:47pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Meanwhile, I think I may have figured out the difference between my pencils and my inks. Since I pencil with a pretty "dead" line - very little variation in thickness along the length -- the exercise becomes all about light and shadow.

In the inks, on the other hand, it's all about the line weight, and light and shade take a distant second place.

ART!!

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 October 2018 at 7:19pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Hey, if you had it all figured out by now, you’d probably get bored!

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 11 October 2018 at 7:40pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

A fate worse than death!

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 October 2018 at 10:56pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

As a hobbyist, I can relate. I’ve built a bunch of model kits and prop replicas, but the only proper answer to the question “Which is your favorite?” is “The next one!”.

It seems that the eternal curse of the artist is to have an itch which can never be scratched!

Nathan Greno
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 October 2018 at 11:41am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

It seems that the eternal curse of the artist is to have an itch which can never be scratched!

---

Yeah, constantly looking for ways to improve your craft -- that's the game. It's exciting every time you take a little step... makes you want to take another one. 

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 12 October 2018 at 11:54am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

What many fans don’t seem to understand is that we’re not machines, so all our “steps” won’t necessarily be in the right direction, and when a wrong path is taken, sometimes it can take a while to find the way back.

Nathan Greno
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 October 2018 at 12:27pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Ever since JB started drawing these X-pages, I've seen a ton of articles covering "will it or won't it happen". I've read rumors of JB possibly doing a "Vision comic for Marvel" -- and rumors of Marvel canceling an X-Men coloring book to possibly solidify their relationship with John.  

What I find most interesting: Many times there's a secondary source that's sited for information on what's being said on this site (the twitter account "@JohnByrneSays" gets referenced a lot) -- but given that this site exists, and John actually posts here, why aren't more journalists coming here to ask questions for their articles? Why do they turn to "@JohnByrneSays"?

Couldn't the journalists just post a question here about a possible Vision series and see what "John Byrne says"? 

I'm just curious why they aren't coming here to ask questions... it's a direct source to the subject. 

Nathan Greno
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 October 2018 at 12:35pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

JB: What many fans don’t seem to understand is that we’re not machines, so all our “steps” won’t necessarily be in the right direction, and when a wrong path is taken, sometimes it can take a while to find the way back.

--

Personally, I like to see artists evolve. It's exciting. I looked forward to every new Bowie album because I never knew what I was going to get. Sure, the newest album wasn't always my favorite -- but I always appreciated him trying something new. 

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 October 2018 at 1:33pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I worry about people who devote time and effort to poring over a piece like this, looking for who isn’t there. How about devoting a portion of that intellectual energy to considering WHY Bobby is “missing”?

Anyone who read JB's issues of the All New, All Different X-Men can figure it out. (Also, Iceman is damned hard to draw properly, so if one can avoid it, why not do so? And yes, I read X-MEN: THE HIDDEN YEARS, where it obviously couldn't be avoided.) 

<< Prev Page of 291 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version