Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 15 Next >>
Topic: Rarities - artists drawing unexpected characters (Toth Spider-Man) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 21 July 2024 at 12:12pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Any idea on why he drew the character that way?

•••

I’ve been told Kirby was not one for using reference. Even on his own work, he’d draw mostly from memory—which is why complex designs would change issue to issue, sometimes page to page! (See Kuurgo, for instance.)

When drawing characters designed by other artists it’s as if Kirby took one look at the basic details and then drew his own interpretation.

Back to Top profile | search

Robert Bradley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 July 2024 at 3:05pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Could this be the same reason why the Watcher of the "Galactus Trilogy" came back looking so different than his original appearance?

And the number of toes on the Hulk's feet changes in Avengers #2.

There are also some costumes that different artists problems, like Kang.  So many details of his armor were changed (intentionally or unintentionally?) in his early appearances.

We also saw the Black Widow go from black hair to red and the Scarlet With from black to auburn.  And of course the de-aging of Rogue after her early appearances.

These errors or conscious changes led to picky No-Prize mentality that a lot of fans seem to have.  Human being make these things so an occassional "Peter Palmer" or "Dr. Bob Banner" is going to get by.
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 21 July 2024 at 6:36pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Contrary to what some fans seem to think, artists are not machines. Even the most fastidious among us are not capable of producing identical copies of the same images. And when it comes to “moving” characters over multiple images, tiny variations can creep in, sometimes deliberately.

I’ve mentioned before that George Perez told me he was as not aware that his drawings of Raven were changing subtly as time passed on TEEN TITANS. Then, when someone pointed it out, he and Marv Wolfman decided to do a story arc to explain it.

ron bailey
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 July 2024 at 7:31pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

That used to be part of the fun! I'm really no fan of how much so fandom is about being amateur archivists, hunting down every little inconsistency that has nothing to do with the purpose of these stories, to enjoy them. 

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 July 2024 at 8:38pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Dave Gibbons drew a bunch of random surprise characters in Harvey Kurtzman's Strange Adventures. This can't be the only time Gibbons has drawn Doctor Doom, right?

Edited by David Miller on 21 July 2024 at 8:39pm
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 July 2024 at 11:36am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Well, here's Dave Gibbons' Colossus and Invaders!

Dave Kopperman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 July 2024 at 1:42pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I'm sure I thought Gibbons could do a great Colossus, but I had no idea that it would be one of the best right out of the gate.

Joe Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 July 2024 at 3:06pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Man what a cool style he has!
This is the perfect time for me to say:
SWOON!
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Dave Kopperman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 July 2024 at 3:55pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Has Gibbons ever done any inker-only work?  Would be fascinating to see how his sculptural approach works over less exacting pencillers.  I'm sure it doesn't exist, but Gibbons over Colan would be intense.

Colin Ian Campbell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 July 2024 at 9:15pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Gibbons inked Brian Bolland's pencils on Judge Dredd in 2000 AD and Starlord #87, Joe Orlando's pencils on the Phantom #1-4's  covers, Jerry Ordway's pencils on Adventures of Superman #447's cover and Rick Veitch and Steve Bissette's pencils on 1963.

Dave Kopperman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 July 2024 at 11:26pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Gibbons over Bolland is a bit like putting a really stylish hat on another really stylish hat - the second-cleanest inker in comics inking the first-cleanest.  But I'd imagine the Bissette stuff was revelatory.  And I'm sure I've seen that, to boot, since I definitely bought all of 1963 on release.

Rodrigo castellanos
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 July 2024 at 2:41am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

That Gibbons Colossus is something else alright! What I'd give for a Gibbons X-Men run, or at least a miniseries, he's a perfect fit.

But I'd imagine the Bissette stuff was revelatory.  And I'm sure I've seen that, to boot, since I definitely bought all of 1963 on release.

The names are amazing, but when I look at the art in 1963 I can't help but feel a slight disappointment. 

By the very nature of the project none of the artists are actually using their own distinctive styles but trying to emulate 60s Marvel.

But even taking that into account the whole thing feels off art wise (probably as a whole given its incomplete, but especially in the art). I honestly don't know exactly why it makes me feel that way.

<< Prev Page of 15 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version