Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 256 Next >>
Topic: What are you reading now? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 April 2018 at 8:45pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Never heard of Kerr, James, but I shall give him a try based on your comments.
Back to Top profile | search

Phil Geiger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 April 2018 at 11:37am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

GROUCHO AND ME by, well, Groucho.

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 April 2018 at 12:53pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Wild, I was just watching some vintage tv docs on the Marx Brothers and reading the book Marx Brothers Scrapbook (courtesy of the BF's collection). I discovered that Harpo wrote a book and I'm going to keep an eye peeled for a copy of that and the Groucho And Me now! There's a wonderful appearance Groucho made on Jack Benny's show that one of the docs, Unknown Marx Brothers, includes a lot of... priceless! I've had the Dick Cavett appearance recorded from a re-run on a cable channel for awhile.
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 29 April 2018 at 9:47am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

DUNE -- read it half a dozen times, and only now thinking Herbert may have intended Duncan Idaho to be Black. Dark skin. Curling black hair.

Maybe, maybe not?

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 April 2018 at 11:43am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Gave up after 98 pages.

Tolle talked about the ego. Whilst some of it made sense - e.g. people who gossip are motivated by ego as it means they have exclusive information that they can share - but other things made no sense. 

This passage, about the role and motivation of parents, irked me:

QUOTE:
On the surface, it looks as if they were concerned about their child, and they themselves believe it, but they are only really concerned about preserving their role-identity. All egoic motivations are self-enhancement and self-interest, sometimes cleverly disguised, even from the person in whom the ego operates.

Come on!!! I am quite sure - 100% in fact - that my mother, who did make many sacrifices, was motivated by love and wanting her children to do well than the above gibberish.

Some of this New Age stuff is irksome. I hate that "Law of Attraction" stuff I read, one person told me EVERY bad event in my life was energetically attracted by me due to my mindset being wrong. Great, I guess I energetically attracted the health-related reasons for the deaths of my father and stepfather.

I'm really thinking some of this modern spiritual stuff is bullshit. I thought some of it - e.g. the power of positive thinking - might benefit even an atheist like myself, but I am seeing unrealistic gibberish in some quarters. I thought it might be preferable to religious dogma/doctrine - Tolle does dismiss organised religion, it seems - but they have thrown the baby out with the bathwater in this new age thinking.

Remember, folks, smiling and being happy/thinking positively will manifest ALL the good things, but every bad thing you experience was because your mindset/energetic vibration was wrong...

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 April 2018 at 1:24pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

"I'm really thinking some of this modern spiritual stuff is bullshit."

Robbie, I think for awhile this kind of junk was popular with women who watched Oprah and the like, that's where I first noticed it anyway. I worked for a woman once who watched and bought all the Oprah/Dr. Phil books and mags who if anyone had any problem she would say they "drew negative things to themselves". Those kids born starving into some third world nation who die before age twelve must really be terribly negatives sorts then, eh? She was a self-proclaimed born-again Christian too by the way who went through some fad diet of eating baked potatoes a lot (with five maxed-out credit cards I learned later too).

Well... it never ceases to amaze the quality of books with 'Bestseller' plastered on the cover.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 April 2018 at 1:48pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Problem is, Rebecca, some books I've read claim everything - and I mean everything - is down to attracting negativity. One even mentioned late trains. Yes, it could never be a signalling fault or technical fault, that late train must surely be down to me, eh?

Oh well, I'll crack it. I'll manifest £1m into existence. And next time I'm at the railway station, I will ask everyone else to positively manifest a punctual train...

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 29 April 2018 at 2:11pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Negativity is not a force, it's an attitude. It can control our individual lives (present!), but, unfortunately, deciding not to be negative will have a positive effect only if the World goes along with it. But when it does, look to coincidence, not positive thinking.

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 April 2018 at 2:27pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Dearie: The Remarkable Life of Julia Child, by Bob Spitz

James Best
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 May 2018 at 10:17am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Going retro this week and sampling my first Agatha Christie novel...

Ed Aycock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 May 2018 at 2:15pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Oh, James Best, that's a good one to start with.  Try and catch the British TV version with Sam Neill and Miranda Richardson that came out a couple years ago.  Very good adaptation.

I just finished "Less" by Andrew Sean Greer which just won the Pulitzer for fiction.  Not the weightiest prize winner in history  but still enjoyable.  Now am reading "The Sisters Brothers" by Patrick DeWitt.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

James Best
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 May 2018 at 8:41pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Oh, James Best, that's a good one to start with.  Try and catch the British TV version with Sam Neill and Miranda Richardson that came out a couple years ago.  Very good adaptation. 

Ed:

It was certainly a good read although it was a bit tame compared to some of the other mysteries I have sampled over the last few decades. Of course, it was written way back in 1939 so that has to be taken into consideration.

I have read that many of her avid readers think that particular Christie novel was her masterpiece. That was a bit surprising to hear, given all of the attention (and the two movie adaptations) of "Murder On The Orient Express". 

That said, I don't think I will be sampling any of her other novels for a while, as I already have fifteen books piled up on my bookshelves waiting for my attention. Speaking of which...

<< Prev Page of 256 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version