Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 256 Next >>
Topic: What are you reading now? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 June 2016 at 7:05am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

20th Century Ghosts has some spectacular short stories inside!
Back to Top profile | search

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 June 2016 at 7:15am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Face The Music:A Life Exposed,autobiography of Paul Stanley of Kiss,very interesting,i had no idea that he was born deaf in one ear,with it just being a deformed stub.The book takes us from a bullied childhood,with little sympathy from hos parents,to success with Kiss,and the trials and tribulations of Peter Criss and Ace Frehley`s addictions,and Gene Simmons` Hollywood courting in the 80`s at the expense of the band.Not finished it yet,but i`m enjoying it.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Peter Hicks
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 June 2016 at 7:26am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

The Making of Return of the Jedi.   With TESB and ROTJ being sequels to the biggest grossing movie ever, one would have thought there was carte blanche for budget. But in fact compromises were always being made to cut costs. Going over budget on Empire resulted in the departure of Gary Kurtz too.

Robert Cosgrove
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 July 2016 at 10:58am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I generally confine my postings to this thread to standard prose books, figuring there's plenty of comics stuff elsewhere, but here are two graphic novels and one strip collection:

Gaiman, How to Talk to Girls at Parties. A good example of the naive narrator genre, and not just with respect to girls.  Enjoyable art by Fabio Moon and Gabriel Ba, but the protagonists look much older than they are supposed to be.  Can't really recommend this one.  Gaiman's stuff is often picked up by libraries, I'd say wait for that and see if you like it.

Dini & Risso, Dark Night:  A True Batman Story.  What is the impact when a man who spends his life writing about a well-nigh physically perfect human being who beats the crap out of criminals is jumped by two criminals who beat the crap out of him?  I can recommend this one whole-heartedly.

Falk & Mc Coy, The Phantom:  The Complete Sundays Vol. 3, 1945-1949  I've just read the first story in this book.  A lovely princess seeks a husband worthy of her, and of course, settles on the Phantom, whose heart already belongs to Diana.  We've seen this story done in the Phantom a hundred times.  In this variation, our hero confronts the beautiful princess, puts her over his knee, and spanks her.  The lesson is not lost on princess's major domo, who soon does likewise, marries the princess, and lives happily ever after.  I couldn't decide if Falk was knowingly being kinky, or if this was just a more innocent age.  I think the latter.  Recall the Spirit spanking Ellen Dolan, etc., and I believe this was a staple of movies in the thirties and forties.  

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 July 2016 at 11:07am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

An Army at Dawn: The War in North Africa (1942-1943), by Rick Atkinson.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 03 July 2016 at 11:24am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

However, I've never read the novel [THE WAR OF THE WORLDS] prior to now and the differences are striking. The machines aren't slow and mechanical but fast and nimble - moving akin to a milking stool rolling across the ground...

•••

SPUN across the ground. A significant difference. Since I reread the novel some 25 years ago, I've had that image firmly in my brain -- the sight of of of the footpads crashing down while also slashing sideways!

(In his review of the Speilberg version, Roger Ebert was most disparaging of the tripod leg structure. He declared it "unstable" and easy to cripple by blowing off one leg. Yes, of course. Cuz on the battlefield, we bipeds fare so much better with one leg gone!)

Matthew Chartrand
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 July 2016 at 1:06pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

FIELD OF PREY by John Sanford. Never been disappointed by a book in this series.

Robert Shepherd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 July 2016 at 8:07pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Just started reading THE LOST SYMBOL, Dan Drown.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Thom Price
Byrne Robotics Member
L’Homme Diabolique

Posted: 04 July 2016 at 6:40am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

PARADISE SKY by Joe R. Lansdale

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Robert Cosgrove
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 July 2016 at 5:36pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Just finished the recorded book version, Henry Marsh, Do No Harm:  Stories of Life, Death, and Brain Surgery.  I didn't realize, when I got this from the library, that Marsh is a Brit, so some interesting comments about the British health system, and insights, from his perspective, of the differences between the way things are done in Britain and here in the colonies.  Marsh is definitely a curmudgeon, and the book, while interesting, is not necessarily a day brightener.  A major thesis:  surgeons get good at difficult operations by doing difficult operations, and when they are starting out, they are apt to screw up, to the lasting harm of their patients.

Josh Goldberg
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 July 2016 at 5:43pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

THE MAN IN THE HIGH CASTLE.  I binge watched the first season over the long weekend, loved it, and couldn't get my hands on the book quick enough.

Robert Cosgrove
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 July 2016 at 5:46pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Also just read Laurie King, The Murder of Mary Russell.  Russell was first introduced in The Bee Keeper's Apprentice, and in a subsequent novel married the much older man that became her mentor in the debut novel, Sherlock Holmes.  I've read all of her Russell books, as well as most of her other novels, and while the quality naturally varies, the best are, I think, very good indeed, and this one is a gem.  Inspired by Conan Doyle's story, "The Adventure of the Gloria Scott," the novel weaves a fascinating backstory for Holmes's landlady, Mrs. Hudson.  Very satisfying from beginning to end.

<< Prev Page of 256 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version