Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 256 Next >>
Topic: What are you reading now? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 June 2016 at 5:07pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

WATERLOO by Bernard Cornwell.  Cornwell had written about Waterloo before in the fictional context of his hero Sharpe's adventures, but this time he tackles the subject in a non-fiction account, and does very well with it.

Probably a defect of American education, but I got through schooling without much of an appreciation of just how big a deal the Duke of Wellington was in Great Britain; beyond knowing that he had beaten Napoleon at Waterloo, I knew little about him and was more or less blank on the battle of Waterloo; I knew more about Nelson at Trafalgar.  What gradually changed my perception was reading Cornwell's Sharpe series, and somewhat contemporaneous with that, Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norell by Susanna Clarke, then some of Clarke's short fiction, in which the Duke also figures.

This book is excellent, as are the Sharpe novels, for an unblinking portrait of the savagery of war.  It didn't start in the 20th century, folks.  Back then it was hard on men, but even harder on horses.

The book sketches a portrait of the generals on each side, gives a good sense of the overall strategy and tactics and who was successful and why, but also contains some wonderful closeups of actual soldiers, and sometimes their wives and chidren, and what they thought and felt about what befell them.

Edited by Robert Cosgrove on 01 June 2016 at 5:17pm
Back to Top profile | search

Don Zomberg
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 June 2016 at 9:39am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I just finished KING MAYBE, James.

Thom Price
Byrne Robotics Member
L’Homme Diabolique

Posted: 02 June 2016 at 9:49am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Uncharacteristically started two books at once:

MARLENE: A NOVEL by C. W. Gortner; an "autobiography" novel about film star Marlene Dietrich.  A curious conceit, since Dietrich wrote an actual autobiography.  (Which, even by film star autobiography standards, was just about the biggest pack of self-serving lies ever published.)

JOI LANSING: A BODY TO DIE FOR by Alexis Hunter.  Written by Lansing's companion/"little sister"/lover of her later years.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 June 2016 at 10:08am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I'm giving Rick Riordan's BIG RED TEQUILA another try.
Back to Top profile | search | www

James Best
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 June 2016 at 5:02pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Don,

What did you think of KING MAYBE? I just finished reading it last night.

James Best
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 June 2016 at 9:32pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Now starting:

Don Zomberg
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 June 2016 at 6:20am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

KING MAYBE was a bit of a letdown for me, James. Didn't care for the subplot involving his daughter--it was a case of "too much or not enough." Rina and Junior have what, one brief exchange in the entire book? Junior also fails to have any kind of follow-up with the film producer who got him into the whole mess in the first place--the character is just forgotten.

Also don't like how he keeps shuffling Ronnie off to the side for his novels, except when he has to bring her back in to help Junior.

I did appreciate the way Bender took out both villains at the end, though. Very clever.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 03 June 2016 at 6:36am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

THE CAVES OF STEEL by Isaac Asimov

Got to be at least forty years since I last read this. Maybe more. Found myself trying to cast the characters using current actors. Not too successful.

Monte Gruhlke
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 June 2016 at 7:14am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Once again I dipped into the mighty reservoir that is Terry Pratchett's DIskworld with Mort. Looks like I'll be dusting off the others this summer!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

James Best
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 June 2016 at 7:54am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Don,

I agree with your assessment of KING MAYBE. I have to say that it is my least favorite of the Junior Bender series so far.

The subplot with the daughter seemed to be used merely as an excuse to bring more of Anime and Lilly into the story but there wasn't much of a payoff at the end.

I am on the fence about Ronnie. Her never-gives-a-straight-answer approach to life can make for humorous dialogue but I think that it weakens her character development. She comes across as being annoying instead of being interesting.

And yes, Bender should have gotten some payback against Whelan. I am not sure if Bender was feeling sorry for him and gave him a pass but I think there should have at least been a confrontation between the two of them at the end.

I did enjoyed the remainder of the novel. And Timothy Hallinan continues to be one of my favorite mystery writers. But this one was not quite up to his usual standards with Junior Bender.

Don Zomberg
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 June 2016 at 8:00am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Agreed. And LITTLE ELVISES continues to be my favorite of the series.

Paul W. Sondersted, Jr.
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 June 2016 at 8:27am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

John, regarding Isaac Asimov's merged universe...

SPOILER ALERT for the two people that have yet to read Dr. Asimov's merged universe stories & novels...

How did you feel about Dr. Asimov's revelation that Daneel Olivaw was pretty much responsible for guiding everything?
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

<< Prev Page of 256 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version