Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 256 Next >>
Topic: What are you reading now? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 November 2015 at 3:35pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Hey Joe,

How about a follow-up on the Demon with a Glass Hand by Harlan Ellison & Marshall Rogers? Two of my favourites. Was it written as a graphic story? I don't have the title in my book database. And Marshall's work is always interesting.

Hi Steve,

I don't think I've seen the Robert Culp episode of the Outer Limits:

But, I've been on a Marshall Rogers tear lately.  I loved the criminally short Stern-Rogers-Austin DR. STRANGE run, but pretty much missed everything else.  So, I plan on reading everything I can that I missed the first time...

Here's what the GCD has on it:

http://www.comics.org/issue/40886/

Really enjoying it so far!

Back to Top profile | search

Steve Coates
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 November 2015 at 5:10pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Aha! it is based on a script by Harlan.

I followed Marshall's work back in the day. You look at how many times his run with Steve E. and Terry A. on Detective Comics has been reprinted and it is amazing!

Thank You
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Robert Cosgrove
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 November 2015 at 10:07pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Will Eisner:  Champion of the Graphic Novel, by Paul Levitz.  Just published.  Nice account, beautifully designed with well-chosen Eisner art and photos.  If you've followed Eisner's career, or read a bio, there's not much surprising here, but the text shows the organic development of Eisner's career, and how his experiences and skills as a businessman played an essential and symbiotic role with his artistic capabilities.  I don't know that Brad Meltzer would have been my choice to write the intro, but perhaps those that I might have considered more likely (e.g., Jules Fieffer, Mike Ploog, Denis Kitchen, maybe Jim Steranko--declined or were unavailable).  Todd Klein designed the cover lettering and a number of chapter headings, and writes about the experience quite interestingly on his blog.  I'm a luddite at doing links, but googling Todd Klein should bring him up, or perhaps someone can insert a link here.

Robert Cosgrove
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 November 2015 at 10:17pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

After doing Oliver Sacks' recently published bio (see post of a few weeks back), I decided to listen to a book on tape of one of his other volumes, and of those available in my public library system, I decided to try Hallucinations.  I found it less enjoyable than the autobio.  Parts fascinated me, parts told me much more than I wanted to know.  It did make me understand that for almost any supernatural/folklore phenomenon that there is a scientific, physiological explanation, whereas before I might have chalked such stories up to simple imagination.   E.g., succubi and other night creatures, deja vu experiences, sightings of "little people" (elves, fairies, trolls, etc), sightings of giants, voices, "phantom limbs" (see, for example, Capt. Ahab in Moby Dick), doppelgangers/evil twins, mysterious visitations, the "bright light" the dying believe they are travelling toward, and out of body experiences (see Dr. Strange, "ectoplasmic form" of).  Lots of raw material for writers here.

Edited by Robert Cosgrove on 18 November 2015 at 10:20pm

James Best
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 November 2015 at 9:38pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Just finished

James Best
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 November 2015 at 9:38pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Now starting:

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 November 2015 at 12:10pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I'm just starting Yuval Noah Harari's Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind.  This is the Amazon review:

"Yuval Noah Harari has some questions. Among the biggest: How did Homo sapiens (or Homo sapiens sapiens , if you’re feeling especially wise today) evolve from an unexceptional savannah-dwelling primate to become the dominant force on the planet, emerging as the lone survivor out of six distinct, competing hominid species? He also has some answers, and they’re not what you’d expect. Tackling evolutionary concepts from a historian’s perspective, Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind, describes human development through a framework of three not-necessarily-orthodox “Revolutions”: the Cognitive, the Agricultural, and the Scientific. His ideas are interesting and often amusing: Why have humans managed to build astonishingly large populations when other primate groups top out at 150 individuals? Because our talent for gossip allows us to build networks in societies too large for personal relationships between everyone, and our universally accepted “imagined realities”--such as money, religion, and Limited Liability Corporations—keep us in line. Who cultivated whom, humans or wheat?. Wheat. Though the concepts are unusual and sometimes heavy (as is the book, literally) Harari’s deft prose and wry, subversive humor make quick work of material prone to academic tedium. He’s written a book of popular nonfiction (it was a bestseller overseas, no doubt in part because his conclusions draw controversy) landing somewhere in the middle of a Venn diagram of genetics, sociology, and history. Throughout, Harari returns frequently to another question: Does all this progress make us happier, our lives easier? The answer might disappoint you."

Robert Cosgrove
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 November 2015 at 6:52pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

We know that no man is a hero to his butler (or is it valet?), but is any president a hero to his Secret Service detail?  Apparently, at least for John R. Barletta, retired secret service agent and author of Riding with Reagan.  Regan was the first president in some time to ride a horse, and the Secret Service embarked on a crash course to train sufficient agents in the art of horseback riding.  Barletta knew how to ride, was put in charge of the program, and often was in Reagan's protective detail.  I found this book highly readable, but the author by his own account formed a deep admiration for the Reagans, so if your political views are such that you regard the Reagan presidency with disdain (or worse), you probably would not enjoy this one, even though the book itself is not highly political.  

Edited by Robert Cosgrove on 27 November 2015 at 7:00pm

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 November 2015 at 9:58am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard
Back to Top profile | search | www

Joe Murray
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 December 2015 at 3:54pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Currently reading:

Daughters of the Dragon: Deadly Hands Special by Chris Claremont & Marshall Rogers
Coyote, Vol. 1 (Includes Scorpio Rose #1-3) by Steve Englehart & Marshall Rogers

Next up:

Nine Princes in Amber by Roger Zelazny

James Best
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 December 2015 at 8:40pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Just finished:

James Best
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 December 2015 at 8:42pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Now starting: