Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 291 Next >>
Topic: Pencil Practice -- and Beyond! Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 25 February 2019 at 11:17am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Chris and I had plotted roughly thru 150. That was to be a big Magneto story. (If I’d lasted that long, nothing that happened to Magneto after I left would have been possible.) Rachel was, of course, the daughter of Scott and Jean, something of which Chris seemed unwilling to let go after the timeline changed.
Back to Top profile | search

Jason Ditzel
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 February 2019 at 12:11pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Hey JB - I still enjoy your Thing's feet.

Gundars Berzins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 February 2019 at 2:16pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Wow JB, the non-SPOILER page is already fantastic without being finished! I just have to laugh, this is too cool.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Richard Palmgren
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 February 2019 at 8:02am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Chris and I had plotted roughly thru 150. That was to be a big Magneto story. (If I’d lasted that long, nothing that happened to Magneto after I left would have been possible.)
-------------------------------

Thanks!  And now of course I'm curious to know what your Magneto plans were (unless they're being used in Elsewhen)

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 26 February 2019 at 8:57am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

They’re not.

Richard Palmgren
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 February 2019 at 9:32am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I was feeling nostalgic and was re-reading HIDDEN YEARS and was struck with how perfect a continuation of the original run it was.  Your Cyclops was the perfect blend of your Uncanny version and a Neal Adams version.  And NOBODY draws a better Jean.  Can't you just form an army and take over the X-offices and just produce "Scott and Jean and Hank and Warren and Bobby" books.  

That being said, who were / are your favorite characters to draw and / or write for each of your runs; Hidden Years, Uncanny and Elsewhen?  Curious to know if your "favorites" choices evolved as the years go on.

Andrew Cate
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 February 2019 at 2:35pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

New to this forum so I want to start off and say what a true pleasure it is to be part of this group. I did my best to read through this particular thread and apologize in advance if I am redundant. 

JB what are your plans with Nightcrawler? After time off from the run have you reflected on how you might approach this character? Will the direction be drastically different from the CC, Cockrum character?

Someone mentioned earlier in this thread that a comic released in pencil only would be enjoyable. Mike Grell came to mind. Something about his raw pencils have always captivated me. Once his pencils are inked they lose a certain something. 

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 27 February 2019 at 8:51pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I did an ANGEL miniseries that was scanned from the pencils, and published in black and white (except for red blood and white snow).

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 February 2019 at 1:57am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I recently purchased that Angel mini-series on Ebay and have to say the art on it is gorgeous. It would've been nice to purchase the IDW work as it was coming out but other than the HIGH WAYS and DOOMSDAY .1, which I got as they were coming out each week, I don't think my LCS ordered ANY of the rest of the IDW work, including the Star Trek stuff. Also picked up both Angel vs. Frankenstein one-shots too via Ebay the same time I ordered the Angel mini.

Edited by Shane Matlock on 28 February 2019 at 1:58am

Brennan Voboril
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 February 2019 at 6:53am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

My dream would be to see this thing published in a large-size, like the Artist Editions, scanned from the pencils edition.  I love looking at the pencils in the gallery - especially to Blood of the Demon and Hidden Years.  

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 28 February 2019 at 7:27am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

My dream would be to see this thing published in a large-size, like the Artist Editions, scanned from the pencils edition. I love looking at the pencils in the gallery - especially to Blood of the Demon and Hidden Years.

••

I'd like nothing better, but sadly, experience has taught that a sizable percentage of the audience looks for what's known as "perceived value". They want everything inked and colored, or the product is considered "cheap" and "unfinished".

This would also carry a hefty price tag, which would have people complaining!

Brennan Voboril
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 February 2019 at 8:47am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Yes, you have a point but I bet there is a large enough audience to support an AE of this.  I seem to recall Scott Dunbier saying IDW was eager to do it too.  Imagine seeing Kirby's FF pencils published that way.  Remember the Kirby Pencils and Inks AE?  That was just gorgeous.  Pencils are the creme de la creme, for connoisseurs - the raw stuff. 

<< Prev Page of 291 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version