Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 08 February 2019 at 4:06pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

No ALPHA FLIGHT.
Back to Top profile | search

Jim Petersman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 February 2019 at 8:30pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

No ALPHA FLIGHT.

What's that sound, you ask? That's just my inner child sobbing hysterically. If you need me I'll be huddled in the corner in a fetal position.

Seriously, JB, I wish you could see AF through my eyes. Those 28 issues are pure joy for me, both then and now. Thanks for the memories.

Manuel Soler
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 February 2019 at 9:18pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

If a 2nd title was in the works, perhaps to avoid comparation, Mr.Byrne could do something totally new or a series he has never worked before as for example Dr. Strange or the "classic" Defenders. I loved how he drewDoc Strange in his appearances in F4.
So I think we won't see/ask for any AF, F4, Hulk,...
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 February 2019 at 8:24am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I believe Mr. Byrne has pretty well established that he's told his Alpha Flight stories. If he really felt the urge to tell another, there are venues that don't need to be their own book. For example, Cyclops might be asked for help by Guardian - and now we have a venue in Elsewhen.

Meself, I'd not be too heavily expectant to see all of Alpha Flight... or even any of their individual members.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 09 February 2019 at 8:45am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

ALPHA FLIGHT, as mny of you already know, is among my least favorite of my own work. There was just too much going on in and around, and over and under, for the book to ever be more in my mind than a pale shadow of the rest of the Marvel Universe. It was just never real to me.

It is, of course, tremendously gratifying to me that this (in my mind) lesser light means so much to so many of you, and far be it from me to ever denigrate your fondness for the title. Just don’t look for me to share it!

Philippe Negrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 February 2019 at 9:04am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

You know about "Never give the fans what they want " ? So we should all clamour here over and over again that we absolutely don't want early AF charaters appearing in thise series...

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 09 February 2019 at 9:20am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

You know about "Never give the fans what they want " ? So we should all clamour here over and over again that we absolutely don't want early AF charaters appearing in thise series...

••

Or you could just Let It Go.

Jim Petersman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 February 2019 at 1:35pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

It is, of course, tremendously gratifying to me that this (in my mind) lesser light means so much to so many of you, and far be it from me to ever denigrate your fondness for the title. Just don’t look for me to share it!

Last year I met up with someone I used to work with 25 years ago. We were sharing stories from the old days when she became really animated and brought up a story about a co-worker with much delight and enthusiasm. "Remember when....!"

Nothing. I remembered nothing about it at all and the look of surprise turning into disappointment turning into disbelief from her was palpable. What the hell was wrong with me that I couldn't remember what was, to her, such a clearly remarkable story that we both participated in?!

The night of reminiscing cooled after that and the promises to stay in touch (made earlier in the evening) remain unfulfilled to this day. My failure to remember - and remember enthusiastically! - something that happened a quarter of a century ago was treated as something of a betrayal.

....far be it from me to ever denigrate your fondness for the [memory]. Just don’t look for me to share it!

I get it and am grateful enough for the stories (and memories) that I wouldn't want JB to ever work on something he wasn't 100% enthusiastic about, but I still wish he could briefly see Alpha through my eyes, if only to feel his characters standing equally amongst those of Stan's, Jack's and Steve's. I miss their stories just as much as I miss the stories of the FF or X-Men.

They deserved better than what Marvel did to them.

In an attempt to pull us back towards the topic of the thread, I have to say that I'm excited that there is a possibility that the X-Men of the Dark Phoenix era will have another chance to see the light of day and be a part of new stories. They also deserve better (IMO) than what I last saw them getting. Here's to hoping!

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 09 February 2019 at 2:33pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I should clarify a little. I LOVE the characters themselves. Each began in my mind as a vast, nearly blank canvas, and I’ve rarely had so much fun, professionally as I did weaving in the stories of their lives. Stories I have since seen shredded by other writers.

So, for the sake of my sanity, I have forced myself to accept that I live in an age when nothing can be considered bulletproof, and the true versions of these characters can live only in my head.

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 February 2019 at 6:56pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

How much control does/should Nightcrawler have over his tail? I seem to recall an issue of EXCALIBUR that showed him fencing with it.
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 09 February 2019 at 7:43pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I felt it was pretty prehensile.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 February 2019 at 9:00pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I was flipping thru some of these pages again, and I’ve meant to ask keep forgetting, JB — I’ve noticed you’ve changed the “flares/horns?” coming off Wolverine’s boots. They’re flaring out above the calves when in the past you had them coming out from the calf area. Was this a conscious change?

<< Prev Page of 291 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version