Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 94 Next >>
Topic: Customizing Statues and Action Figures Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 July 2011 at 8:21pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Thanks, Scott.  I dream of someday commissioning a sculpture of John Byrne's Gormuu, so I'm always on the lookout for good talent.
Back to Top profile | search | www

James Henry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 July 2011 at 8:48pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

My six year-old son and I build a lot of Legos together and it's an enduring source of disappointment that Lego doesn't have any Marvel sets currently in production.  So, I decided to take matters into my own hands and took a stab at making my own X-Men set using Lego's Digital Designer software.

My initial plan was to make the Xavier Mansion, but that project soon spiraled out of control. So I thought I better start with something a bit more manageable:  The Danger Room!  It's basically a big gray box with a control room and lots of obstacles, so that seemed to be well within the scope of my rudimentary design capabilities.

After looking at a number of different iterations of the Danger Room in X-Men comics over the years, I decided to use the Fastner & Larson 1981 "Beware The Danger Room" print as reference.  There is clearly an art to transforming things to the Lego world that will take a while to master, but I'm definitely having fun while doing it.

My Danger Room is 48 x 48 in Lego Dots or 15” x 15” in real world measurement.  So far I’ve done the floor, walls, control room and the first obstacle: tentacles.   Next up, I need to work on the flame thrower, laser cannon, pop-up barrier and flying battle staves.  I’m not sure this picture does justice to the Danger Room, but it’s a work in progress.

William Roberge
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 July 2011 at 3:19am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Fun! My girls and I love building things with Legos. We are never quite done with our  Hogwarts castle!

Keep us updated.

Edited by William Roberge on 19 July 2011 at 3:59am
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

William Roberge
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 July 2011 at 4:02am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Also, if you want to customize some mini figs into X-Men there is a guy on ebay that sells decals....

Edited by William Roberge on 19 July 2011 at 4:04am

Ryan Maxwell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 July 2011 at 7:54am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Looking great, James!  I'm building a giant Hoth set myself, I'm hoping to be able to fit the new Millennium Falcon into the back.  Here's a link that might help, some minifig customization threads on Eurobrick.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

James Henry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 July 2011 at 8:49am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

@William Roberge, I've been amazed by what people can do with customized Mini Figs.  I've been buying X-Men customs on eBay in anticipation of finishing up the Danger Room, so I'll have to take some pictures and post them when I'm home tonight.

James Henry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 July 2011 at 9:00am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

@Ryan Maxwell, the Star Wars Hoth base sounds like an awesome project.  Are you doing it with the Lego Digital Designer or with bricks you already have?

Ryan Maxwell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 July 2011 at 9:12am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

With bricks I already have, plus figures and pieces I've picked up from BrickLink and eBay.  I have two of the 48x48 bases built so far:  A little bit of the front of the base, outside the walls; the side of the hill/mountain; the main shield doors which slide open and closed; a bay for a snowspeeder and most of a bay for an X-Wing; on top of the hanger on one side is the medical bay (with Luke in the Bacta tank) and on the other side is the command center.

I'm on version two of a couple of the sections, and I'm going to take apart the hanger walls and add more details to them.  Just need the time.  I hope to eventually have 6 of the 48x48 bases, with two more in front of the doors for the trenches and towers, and two more in the hanger for the Falcon.

Ryan Maxwell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 July 2011 at 9:13am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

James, if you need any parts, let me know and I'll take a look through what I have. 

James Henry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 July 2011 at 8:37pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

@Ryan Maxwell, thanks for the offer!  I'm trying to keep it pretty simple on my first project, but I imagine that I'll need help at some point along the way.  I'm starting to get to the limits of the Lego Digital Designer software's usefulness, so I think I'll end up building the flamethrower, laser array, etc. with pieces from other sets rather than trying to do it digitally.

I took a photo of the "prototype" that my son built while I was working on the computer.

Ryan Maxwell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 July 2011 at 3:21pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

James, your figures are better than what LEGO announced this week for the Marvel line!

A little creation today.

William Roberge
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 July 2011 at 7:12am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Hope you don't mind me tossing in pictures of Lego Hogwarts. I will admit its not 100% custom. What we did was take some sets put them together and then added on and on and on....

<< Prev Page of 94 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version