Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 15 Next >>
Topic: John Romita Jr. Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 June 2007 at 4:37pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

It's good to read so many things about JR Jr on this thread.  He's my next comicbook artist hero behind JB and Walter Simonson.  What really thrills me is that he's still out there putting out stuff on a consistent basis.  The only problem that I have with it is that he's working for Marvel, and Marvel really isn't my cup of tea any more...
Back to Top profile | search

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 June 2007 at 5:07pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

It's good to read so many things about JR Jr on this thread.  He's my next comicbook artist hero behind JB and Walter Simonson.  What really thrills me is that he's still out there putting out stuff on a consistent basis.  The only problem that I have with it is that he's working for Marvel, and Marvel really isn't my cup of tea any more...
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Replace Simonson with George Perez, and you have my top 3.

I pretty much agree with that last sentence. I used to be a diehard Marvel Zombie, but about the only book I'm reading from M at the moment is Captain America, and I may be dropping it soon. I only picked up the Fallen Son comic that was in my box at the LCS because he did the art; otherwise, I would have told them to dump it.

Incidentally, he said the Hulk stuff he's doing has been the hardest work he's had so far, so everyone keep that in mind when before making any harsh criticisms about it.

Edited by Brian Floyd on 02 June 2007 at 5:14pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

William McCormick
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 June 2007 at 6:54pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

JRjr. is one of the few reasons I still read any monthly comics at all anymore. Now that JB is not on anything he is without a doubt the single greatest artist working in comics today. Just my two cents.

Michael Arndt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 June 2007 at 7:59pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

All this talk of the great JR JR makes me want to buy a tpb that he has done. What does everyone recommend?

Michael Arndt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 June 2007 at 8:00pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Also, congrats on the Iron Man sketch Brian.

Paulo Pereira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 June 2007 at 8:03pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

QUOTE:
All this talk of the great JR JR makes me want to buy a tpb that he has
done. What does everyone recommend?

Daredevil: The Man Without Fear

Kevin Hagerman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 June 2007 at 8:19pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I haven't read much of his new stuff, but I liked his Wolverine run with Mark Millar and I LOVED his Black Panther.

Zaki Hasan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 June 2007 at 8:36pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Is JRjr gonna be at the Con tomorrow?  I'd love to get my ETERNALS HC signed by him.  A sketch wouldn't be unpleasant either.

Robert Kowalewski II
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 June 2007 at 9:20pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I think your answer is somewhere on page 3 or 4 Zaki.

George Edwards
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 June 2007 at 1:22am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I think JR JR is a brilliant artist. I met him twice and I can confirm he's not only a great guy but a seasoned pro with great insight about comic book storytelling. I'm a huge fan. Been so for years. I met his dad in the early 80's and he's also a kind, well respected and gifted artist.

I've seen the progression in JR JR's work. He clearly puts a lot of thought into creating the visuals for a story. One of the greats.

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 June 2007 at 4:51am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Zaki, he's going to be at the con today, but I don't know how long he'll be sketching. He was supposed to be doing a discussion panel at 6pm yesterday but around 1pm or so they (the people running the convention) decided to move it to today (no idea what time), and the cutoff for people getting sketches was 2pm. (They were afraid his hand would wear out and he wouldn't be able to sketch tomorrow, because he had the most popular line at the con, with Ethan Van Sciver being second) My advice is to the get there as early as possible and head directly for his line, even if he isn't there yet. I didn't (waited and got in line after he showed up) and was lucky to get a sketch, as when they announced the cutoff for sketches, I'd say the two or three people behind my best friend (who was right behind me) were probably the last two to get sketches.

If anyone goes to a con he is attending this year and gets a Captain America sketch, be specific what you want, or you'll get a profile headshot. That's what he was doing on the Fallen Son blank covers if people didn't specify.

Scan of my Iron Man sketch will be coming later today (I've only been up about 20 minutes or so and don't feel like doing it yet). I also got a Shadowhawk sketch by GW Fisher (Shadowhawk inker) and will scan that as well. (I have a bad knee and bad back and my knee was hurting too bad for me to stand going through Van Sciver's line, so I didn't get anything by him, but was going to ask for a Batman)

One thing I'm kicking myself over? GW Fisher had pages of original art from 3 issues of Shadowhawk he's done for sale, and there was a really awesome page on the top of the stack I considered buying. I bought a color print of Raven, Wonder Girl (Cassie, not Donna) and Starfire for $10 instead.

Next year I'm making damn sure I take a lot more money with me than I did this year.  (I ended up with more cash than I thought I'd have because I've been hired to do a Power Point presentation for someone and got paid in advance for it)

Edited by Brian Floyd on 03 June 2007 at 8:06am

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 June 2007 at 7:11am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Okay, here's the art I got:

Iron Man by JRJr

Shadowhawk by G.W. Fisher (Shadowhawk inker)

I also got two free prints, one by JRJr and one by Phil Noto, and I forgot to get the one by JRJr signed. I'll post those later.

<< Prev Page of 15 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version