Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 15 Next >>
Topic: John Romita Jr. Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 May 2007 at 1:55pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

If I would name 5 artists that influenced me over the years, JRjr is definitely one of them!

Anatomy, backgrounds, composition, speed, he has it all! Can only put him second to the JB's (John Buscema and Byrne) in my book...

And after reading the interview, I also discovered that's he's a very nice guy! :)

Back to Top profile | search | www

Michael Everall
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 May 2007 at 2:07pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Whew! Glad to hear not everyone has read the interview already.

My favorite of his work is Black Panther. I'm so enamored with Kirby's art on
that character (topic for another time), and John Romita Jr managed to punch
all the right Kirby buttons to get me hooked. It's really the point where I re-
evaluated his art and went from "JrJr is a decent artist" to "JrJr is great
artist!". I would have made that leap earlier if I was still collecting comics
during his last Spider-Man run.

Nice sketch you got there, Paul. I like the sense of volume.
Back to Top profile | search

Glenn Greenberg
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 May 2007 at 2:18pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

One of the all-time best, and a pleasure to work with.

I told him once--with tongue only HALF planted in cheek--that I felt
betrayed by him back in the 80s when he left AMAZING SPIDER-MAN to go
over to do X-MEN, and that I've held a grudge against the X-Men ever since!

Edited by Glenn Greenberg on 30 May 2007 at 2:18pm

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 May 2007 at 2:24pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Sweet sketch, Paul.

The reason I'm not going is because I'm financially strapped for cash at the moment, and since there's no real way to find out how much attendees will be charging for autographs, sketches, etc ahead of time, I'm afraid once I paid for my ticket I wouldn't have much left.

Unfortunately, its about the only decent convention we get here in a year with comic artists attending. I think there's a sci-fi convention held later in the year, but they've never really had anyone attend that I'd go out of my way to see.

Funny story: guy from another board I visit is up in Canada, but he's originally from Australia. He finally attended his first comic convention this year and has gone to one or two others and getting sketches of the same character by various artists. The character?

Stilt Man.

O_o

I was a big fan of JRJr's runs on both Iron Man and Amazing Spider-Man (mostly his second run on Amazing), but I couldn't really get into his run on Uncanny X-Men, for some reason.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Nathan Greno
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 May 2007 at 2:29pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I loooooooove JRJR. Love, love, love! I agree with those of you who say he's one of the best in the biz today. I just wish he'd be a liiiiiiiitle more picky about the projects he works on...

Ultimate Vision?
The image “http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h149/srecancovek/enquadrando/UltimateVision0preview01.jpg” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.

A death of Captain America tie-in?

Spider-totems?

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 May 2007 at 2:32pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I've always been a fan, all the way back to his first run on "Iron Man."

Man, that in that pic on the site with the interview, you can really see the resemblance between John Romita, Jr. and his father!

Dave Pruitt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 May 2007 at 2:40pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

http://www.adventurecon.com/

Brian, if you can afford the entry fee, you should go. It won't cost you any extra to meet JrJr and get an autograph. Comic pros don't charge for their autographs like the other media guest that appear at cons, though I noticed some are now asking/accepting donations for orgs like ACTOR, or whatever it's called these days. Wayne and I will be there saturday. Andy Smith (JBF member) is a guest there. Anyone else here that's going?

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Michael Arndt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 May 2007 at 2:41pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Great artist. I still demand to see a tpb of Armor Wars II.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Greg Kirkpatrick
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 May 2007 at 2:46pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Nathan-
JR JR made those books better.  The Ultimate Vision was okay,nothing to write home about.  The Cap book I actually really liked and JR JR made it that much better.  Spider-Man...well...the Totem stuff was lame and I thought with the beginning of their run that JMS and JR JR would be great...then it got not good.
It's easy to pick the common Marvel whipping boys like Ultimate Universe, Death of Cap and JMS.  But to lump them all together as crap is unfair.
Cannot wait to see JR JR on World War Hulk!  I have images of Rampaging Hulk dancing through my head!

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 May 2007 at 2:46pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Some interesting quotes:

JRJR wrote:

...John Buscema said "throw your eraser away." Those were the words. Quote, unquote. He said it to my father-he told Frank Miller and me in the offices of Marvel one day. "Throw away your eraser!" "Throw away your F'n eraser" he said. (laughs) ...

...My father always stressed you have to have thick skin, because I watched him agonize over the comments that "Romita's a hack" and "Steve Ditko should always be drawing Spider-Man". He said that it took a long time before he got over that. So he said you gotta learn to be thick-skinned about it. He said you're going to have several bosses and then you'll have fans. Before I got good enough to be even noticed I would hear comments like "How dare you, you're following Paul Smith, you're not that good"....

...Ralph Macchio probably kept me from quitting after I got off the X-Men and experimented with Shooter on Star Brand. After that fell through, I was pretty down on myself and Ralph came to me and said "Listen, I always loved your stuff. Get on Daredevil and do whatever you want. You're workin' with Ann Nocenti. Full pencils, story tell the hell out of it. Go". And if not for Ralph and that period of time, I probably would have quit. I was very close...

Edited by Matt Hawes on 30 May 2007 at 2:47pm

Dennis Calero
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 May 2007 at 2:47pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

JRjr Spiderman was the Spiderman for me.  His work has always been so effortless, so solid, so THERE.  His designs are fantastic and his storytelling is just...ugh...he makes me wanna quit he's so good.

Aaron Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 May 2007 at 3:06pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Excellent excellent artist, and one of that little group who produced the first handful of comics I ever read, so he'll always be among my favorites. 
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

<< Prev Page of 15 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version