Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 376 Next >>
Topic: Marvel Figurine Collection Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 November 2007 at 3:34pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

...oops, I'm going to have to correct myself.  Bullseye is 87.5mm(so he's probably 85mm at the top of his head) and Super Skrull is 87.5mm.  I was thinking Deadpool when I originally wrote Bullseye.  So, now my two questions are:

1. Is Deadpool that tall?

2. How tall is Super Skrull(in "real" life, not figurine)?

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

David Ferguson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 November 2007 at 4:00pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

2. How tall is Super Skrull(in "real" life, not figurine)?

as tall as he wants to be
Back to Top profile | search

Don Bohm
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 November 2007 at 9:03pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Great poses on Yellowjacket and Luke Cage!!

Steve Gumm
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 November 2007 at 9:29pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Just imagine, if Eaglemoss decided to do their take on the Star Wars characters. That would be one major hit on my wallet!

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 November 2007 at 8:56am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Probably won't happen - DeAgestini have been running a Star Wars collection for the past couple of years in the UK (Currently around 55). Very expensive for what you get - a rehash of the Fact Files from a few years ago and a figure that I think is in scale to the current figure game. The early sculpts were also terrible so I stopped buying, looking at current sculpts, things look much improved. I think I read somewhere that there is a version of this based on the ships coming out in France.

Which is a bit strange as there have been some ships in this collection.

Anthony Wallis
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 November 2007 at 10:55am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I'm with you Andy (Mokler). I think these figures are excellent but the scaling issues bug me a little. Eaglemoss make no mention that they are supposed to be to scale and other guys on this thread say that if you stand them apart it doesn't matter, I agree to some extent. However, Eaglemoss do appear to have paid attention to scaling in most cases and they do sell the stands showing that they intended them to be displayed shoulder to shoulder.

Galactus couldn't possibly be to scale in lead, but Kitty Pryde is taller than Ironman and Captain Britain! I wonder if Kitty and Lockheed would have been too fragile at the right scale and so was made more robust? 

Having said that, they are truly great little things and the scaling is good in many cases. I highly recommend them, Andy.

Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 17 November 2007 at 11:06am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Scaling is really only an issue if you line 'em up and get down to eye level. I
have mine clustered, and it's almost impossible to tell who's too tall and
who's too short. The only one who really jumps out is Iron Man (not visible
in this shot) who is too slender.

Al Cook
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 November 2007 at 11:30am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Is it just me, or is the pose on the Sue Storm-Richards very Adam Hughesy?

Andy Mokler
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 November 2007 at 3:34pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

The Scale wouldn't stop me from collecting these as much as the additional monthly price might.  However, compared to action figures, the cost seems about the same but the quality and how I'd display them seems in favor of the figurines.  Compared to mini-busts/statues, the quality isn't quite as nice but the cost is so much less that it's no contest.  $40 a pop for the mini busts adds up quick with my budget!

I think Dr. Doom will start my figurine collection if all goes well. 

How pricey/rare are the earlier figurines?  The mini-bust's are outrageously high if you tried to collect the earlier one's now.

Ryan Maxwell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 November 2007 at 4:08pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

The earlier figures can still be had at the issue price if you're lucky enough to find them.  I've paid more than that (not including shipping) for exactly one figure (Cap), and I just started buying about 2 or 3 months ago.

Steve Reaper
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 November 2007 at 5:59pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Scale has never really been an issue for me.  These figures are 3d representations of 2d comic characters and as long as it "looks" ok then I am happy.  Galactus was always going to be difficult because of his "percieved" size.  Must admit that some figs do seem to be on the fringes of what is acceptable Kitty Pride for me is too big, Iron Man too scrawney but hey, they are still damn fine models for the money.

I remember reading some of the comics as a kid so this series brings back good memories and actual scale don't really matter.

I have images of all the figs I have photographed side by side.  The images shown on the EM site are montaged, some scaled up, some scaled down to fit the available frame.

Galactus magazine made good reading for me, I knew very little about him, some great artwork in there and a reference to www.heraldsreunited.com made me chuckle. 

@JB  Do you still do commissions / personal artwork.  Reason I ask is because I am running a CMFC custom competition and am looking for a special prize for an overall winner.  If there is anything you can offer or assist with I would be eternally grateful.  Even if it is a case of me sending some magazines to get your autograph.  If needs be you can contact me directly on TGR@marvelcustoms.co.uk

The submitted models will be on show as of 30 Nov 07 on www.marvelcustoms.com

Thanks in advance

steve

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Bodin
Byrne Robotics Member
Purveyor of Rare Items

Posted: 18 November 2007 at 9:08am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Wow!  I really like the Green Lantern figure:

Not the "classic" Hal Jordan costume, but close enough for me (better than the Iron Man armor they chose for the Marvel line!).

What's up with the Flash, though -- does THIS costume look "correct" to anybody?  The belt looks all wrong to me -- like it's supposed to be an arrow pointing to his groin, rather than a lightning bolt-esque belt (they got the bands around the wrist "right," so I have trouble believing it's a problem associated with the scale):

Ripe for a repaint, methinks . . .

EDITED TO ADD:

I was just checking out the Eaglemoss DC site and came across this image:

Any idea who the guy circled in red is?  (I added the circle for clarification -- this isn't how the picture appears on the site)  Vandal Savage, perhaps?  Or -- this just dawned on me -- Ra's Al Ghul?  If that's who it is, it seems somewhat odd to start off with THREE  Batman villains, though, especially one who's not so iconic (yeah, the public "knows" Ra's from the Batman Begins movie, but this doesn't look like the Batman Begins version of Ra's to me . . . Sinestro, Brainiac, or Luthor would have been more easily recognizable, IMO).

Edited by John Bodin on 18 November 2007 at 9:17am

<< Prev Page of 376 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version