Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 45 Next >>
Topic: Wikipedia (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 September 2005 at 7:20pm | IP Logged | 1  

John W. Leys:  I'm a huge Reggie fan, and I'd forgotten that little tidbit.  It fits perfectly in this matter.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Roger A Ott II
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 September 2005 at 8:39pm | IP Logged | 2  

Matt Hawes: The world will never change as long as people do not change.  And people never change.

That goes along with something I remember reading awhile back:

"It'll never be a perfect world as long as there are people in it."

Sad but true...

Jonathan Stover
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 September 2005 at 9:04pm | IP Logged | 3  

The time might be ripe for a wikiparody site. Except that it would probably also be cited as fact. For instance, I write:

John Byrne (b. 1501 BCE in what is now Turkey) is nine-feet tall and generally dresses in either full battle armor or traditional Oktoberfest garb. When he is not writing and drawing ten to twelve comic books a month, he works as a volunteer lighthouse for the North Dakota Coast Guard.

Controversy: Some say that Byrne once put a restaurant out of business after consuming 1000 chicken wings at the restaurant's all-you-can-eat chicken wing night.  A Comics Journal article that I recall from memory states that in 1985, during an argument over caption placement in a Hostess Fruit Pie ad, Byrne threw then-Marvel E-I-C Jim Shooter into outer space, where Shooter became the constellation Cassiopeia.

And two days from now, someone's handing in a term paper about lighthouses in North Dakota.

Cheers, Jon

Back to Top profile | search

Victor Rodgers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 September 2005 at 9:43pm | IP Logged | 4  

I just read that one link.  Cheese and crackers are some of those people dumb.  Somehow saying someone should back up their statements with facts is wrong.  

Mig Da Silva
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 September 2005 at 10:57pm | IP Logged | 5  

QUOTE:
Mike Tishman wrote:

All information is explicitly or implicitly biased.     

You do realize that this is wrong. What, pray tell, is the bias in "James C. Taylor was born on 11 July 1961 in Lorain, Ohio"?

That's a moniker commies usually love. Everything is abstract. All discourse is inherently biased. Art can't be defined.

It serves the commie constituency well since most can't deal with reality, can't concoct unbiased factual discourses, and can't produce art if their very lifes depended on it.

You're probably noticing that i'm calling wikipedia.org a commie\liberal driven open source experiment on how to dispel their drivel under the usual subterfuges from truth and factuality that might negate their dolphin delusions of world commune of happy happy we're all equal la la land, where even a retard is an "encyclopaedic editor".

If if you refuse to participate in the community, well, then you "deserve" to be slandered and called a paedophiliac. Hilarious. Well, at least they're not sending us to siberia for refusing to work within the 'system', 'the community', and 'the party' any more.

"Jimbo" is a great name for a walmart piss poor virtual Stalin.

I can't wait for the day a private company clusterfucks this pathetic bunch of open source hippie anarchists in the closet out of the water.

It's basic a glorified slander tabloid mascarading as "encyclopaedic" material. It's a tool for slander, harassment and missinformation presented as information. It's as an idiotic idea of a commune as bolshevik USSR, Cuba, or North Korea - Let's all work with the 'system' and help our beloved leader Kim Jong Jimbo, the asshole that no one elected.

Best wishes to "Jimbo" and the Flower Power brigade, keep up the good work for the community, comrades!

Mig Da Silva
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 September 2005 at 11:04pm | IP Logged | 6  

QUOTE:
Its open nature allows it to take advantage of what I think they call the "genius of crowds", drawing on many diverse points of view

That's the stupidest shit i've ever heard.

Mig Da Silva
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 September 2005 at 11:08pm | IP Logged | 7  

QUOTE:
Edited to add: I discovered how to edit there and the above was already taken down. It still baffles my mind that this "free community" allows anyone with a brain cell to include what was written above or the line I took out, "John Byrne Sucks Dick."

I'll explain:

It's the "genious of the crowds".

Ron De Marco
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 September 2005 at 11:26pm | IP Logged | 8  

Mig Da Silva wrote:
That's the stupidest shit i've ever heard.

As opposed to your last hate and bile filled post?

Edited by Ron De Marco on 19 September 2005 at 11:27pm

Stéphane Garrelie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 September 2005 at 5:13am | IP Logged | 9  

Mig Da Silva: How can you write such a libel. It's almost on the level of the people who insert in his bio that JB was a sexual ofender.

Edited by Stéphane Garrelie on 20 September 2005 at 5:15am

James C. Taylor
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 September 2005 at 7:35am | IP Logged | 10  

Well, one good thing out of the Wikipedia stuff: a Mike O'Brien sighting.

Tom Melly
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 September 2005 at 7:47am | IP Logged | 11  

Wow - I came across this controversy via blogdex, and needless to say I can't resist putting my 2c in...

I have to admit I'm slightly puzzled as to what the original fuss was about (on JB's part). The original article may not have 100% accurate, but it was hardly a hatchet job. Now the article is reduced to a dull and short biography, and a minimal bibliography - I don't see how this is an improvement.

Later revisions were entirely out of order, but IMHO they were a response to JB's act of deletion, and must be viewed in that context. I am not defending the people who made those updates, but it's foolish to use those revisions as a strawman - apart from anything else, such revisions are generally removed from wikipedia quickly.

Personally, I like wikipedia, and, if I'm looking up info on a fairly neutral subject, I've found it as reliable as any other resource. That said, anyone who treats a resource like wikipedia as canonical is being foolish.

The majority of wikipedia contributors genuinely care about making a valid contribution. I'm sorry that JB was so offended by the original article, but I'm even sorrier that he felt other peoples genuine efforts deserved no more than cursory deletion...

BTW whilst I don't want to get into a dispute as to whether 1+1=2 is an indisputable fact, the truth is that very few things in life that are interesting are so unambiguous. If an encyclopedia is a repository of facts, then a dictionary should be even less ambigous - yet my 1958 copy of the smaller Oxford (iirc) tells me that "masturbation" means "bodily self-abuse". Now, I'm not even sure that's wrong, but it's sure as hell biased...

James C. Taylor
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 September 2005 at 7:53am | IP Logged | 12  

Hi, Tom. Welcome to the forum.

<< Prev Page of 45 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version