Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 45 Next >>
Topic: Wikipedia (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 September 2005 at 8:38am | IP Logged | 1  

Tishman wrote:
You people are a bunch of fucking idiots, a bunch of embarassing Luddite relics.

It's funny: You can almost visualize Tishman's head exploding after he hit the final keystroke.

Somehow, I doubt that Wikipedia is the end-all and be-all of modern technology. Wikipedia should hire Tishman to do their marketing though.

"Don't be a bunch of fucking idiots, a bunch of embarassing Luddite relics, use Wikipedia! Dumbasses!"

:-)

Back to Top profile | search | www

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 September 2005 at 8:43am | IP Logged | 2  

Todd Hembrough wrote:
It appears the the Wiki folks have drunk the Kool-Aid and bought into the central conceit of the entire wiki process....YOU can write the history in REAL TIME!!  No grown-ups can stop you, and the MAN cannot keep you from telling it like it is!!

Heh.

Yeah, from what I've learned of Wikipedia, it's far, far from being perfect or a reliable source of information.

Roger A Ott II
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 September 2005 at 9:22am | IP Logged | 3  

Well, Mike, I was trying to have a civil discourse with you on this, but it appears that is pretty much out of the question after your last statement.  I'd be offended, but the Internet has helped me to grow a pretty thick skin.

You are correct in that amateurs sometimes have more knowledge than the professionals.  I'd say I have probably more knowledge of the comic character Iron Man than the current creative team on the book, but the only people who are going to know that are people that already know something about the character themselves.  Everyone else isn't going to know if I'm knowledgeable or not.

Sure probably 80% of the amateurs working on articles at Wikipedia are honest, hard-working individuals who do their best to report factual information, but that means there are 20% that aren't and who don't.  I see too many people on the internet who think because they know a little bit about something that they are the expert on the topic.  Who's to say that the article I'm reading about isn't written by one of those 20% who don't have the knowledge to accurately represent the topic?

When I go looking for information, I want to know it's legitimate and comes from a reliable source.  I can't have that if anybody with a keyboard has the ability to modify the information presented.

And that's my problem with it.  The idea is great, but the reliability is suspect.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 17 September 2005 at 9:34am | IP Logged | 4  

Roger A Ott II: You are correct in that amateurs sometimes have more knowledge than the professionals.  I'd say I have probably more knowledge of the comic character Iron Man than the current creative team on the book...

Often more a bane than a boon. I know a guy who has worked peripherally in comics for years, and who knows more about the history of the Marvel and DC Universes than any three other people combined. He has long wanted to write for comics, yet he has never managed to turn that corner -- and the reason is, he simply knows too much and does not know when to turn it off. (I once asked him for some background on a character I was using in one of my books. He told me what I needed to know, then added "And, of course, since you are using FoneBoneMan, you will make reference to panel three, page six of FONEBONEMAN 11, published in 1949. . . "

Which I didn't.

That way lies all those issues with a footnote in virtually every panel! I, for one, am very glad those days are (largely) behind us!

Back to Top profile | search

Stéphane Garrelie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 September 2005 at 10:10am | IP Logged | 5  

I just got the answer "BTW Jessica Alba was not blond in Sin City" to one of my posts on the Wikipedia Byrne talk. section "Jokes are not Opinions".

I think I made clear that Byrne is not racist, and the Sin City source is my interpretation of the "Blond Hispano women always looks like hookers to me" joke about Jessica Alba playing Sue Storm. Joke + esthetic opinion from an artist, but no racist attack against a minority, to summ up my long post about that. and yes I know and said that she's a striper, not a hooker in Sin City.

But frankly, how can someone say that she's not blonde in this movie?????

Edited by Stéphane Garrelie on 17 September 2005 at 10:13am

Roger A Ott II
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 September 2005 at 10:13am | IP Logged | 6  

I wrote:  You are correct in that amateurs sometimes have more knowledge than the professionals.  I'd say I have probably more knowledge of the comic character Iron Man than the current creative team on the book...

JB: Often more a bane than a boon.

+++++++++

Definitely.  I remember reading some time ago that David Michelinie had little to no knowledge of Iron Man prior to he and Bob Layton taking over the creative reigns of the book.  Sometimes a fresh look at things is great, as long as you don't break the toys you were given to play with.

I honestly have very little desire to write an Iron Man comic, especially given the editorial directive of Marvel these days.  I'll settle for being a repository of Iron Man lore and leave it at that for now.

Stéphane Garrelie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 September 2005 at 10:41am | IP Logged | 7  

Yes I think that David Michelinie himself said that. Bob Layton on the other hand  knew the character very well.

I think that before working for Marvel David Michelinie knew more about DC and wasn't reading Marvel. He was helped by Shooter for the avengers, and probably by Layton for Iron Man. That didn't prevented him to be one of the best avengers writers and the best Iron Man writer ever IMO. Stan Lee, John Byrne Gerry Conway and Bill Mantlo were very good too. But the first Michelinie/Layton run with too John Romita Jr and Jerry Bingham and John Byrne (for one issue) as artists, top it all.

Roger, Advanced Iron is one of my favorite comics site on the net. Thanks.

To be totaly fair to the Wikipedia Byrne Talk poster who wrote "BTW Jessica Alba was not blonde in Sin City", he wrote too: "I  think the likelyhood of JB being a racist is about the same as him being a cannible, more than Byrne-bashers will ever have of getting a life, but significantly less than what most people consider worthy for being considered as fact."

Edited by Stéphane Garrelie on 17 September 2005 at 10:51am

Stéphane Garrelie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 September 2005 at 10:49am | IP Logged | 8  

ok its edited. see previous post.

Jacob P Secrest
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 September 2005 at 11:09am | IP Logged | 9  

Stéphane Garrelie wrote:

I just got the answer "BTW Jessica Alba was not blond in Sin City" to one
of my posts on the Wikipedia Byrne talk. section "Jokes are not
Opinions".

Ehh heh, I just did an image search, and I retract that statement.

I didn't remember her being blonde in that movie.

Edited by Jacob P Secrest on 17 September 2005 at 11:10am

Stéphane Garrelie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 September 2005 at 11:13am | IP Logged | 10  

It was you Jacob? heh-heh I knew it was one of us. Big smile:(-------)

Jacob P Secrest
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 September 2005 at 11:20am | IP Logged | 11  

Yup, it was me, hmm, I just don't remember her being blonde, but now
that I know she was, I can't imagine her having been any other way.

Jason Fulton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 September 2005 at 11:38am | IP Logged | 12  

But....a real blonde? We'll never know.

<< Prev Page of 45 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version