Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 45 Next >>
Topic: Wikipedia (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 September 2005 at 5:53pm | IP Logged | 1  

QUOTE:
Truly? You "hate" Rob Liefeld? What sort of emotion do you summon up, I wonder, for someone who has actually commited a crime, or actually harmed or wronged you in some real manner? "Hate" is a word that has lost much coinage, and largely due to foolish usages like this.

I would say a fierce dislike is a better term. 

Edited by Victor .R. Rodgers on 16 September 2005 at 6:30pm
Back to Top profile | search

Yvonne Christian
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 September 2005 at 5:58pm | IP Logged | 2  

Hate is a waste of energy.   It drags you down and muddles your thoughts.  It's best to let it go and move on with your life.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Troy Nunis
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 September 2005 at 6:19pm | IP Logged | 3  

just for the fun irony of it: Hate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Mary Ives
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 September 2005 at 7:00pm | IP Logged | 4  

<I find it difficult to believe that any rational person can, in the course of a normal life, truly summon up the energy to HATE another human being>

I agree.  There are people who I have some degree of bad feelings toward, due to past treatment or events.  Perhaps an intense, justified, dislike.  But "hate"?  No, I might want them out of my life/sphere of influence...but hate?  That takes too much energy to muster - energy that I'd rather spend in a positive way towards the people I care about.

Doug Jones
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 September 2005 at 7:08pm | IP Logged | 5  

Just skimmed through some of this thread and the forum page linked to the Byrne Wikipedia page and I am truly amazed that some people really have this kind of time on their hands! To edit and re-edit someone else's biography? Good lord.

Mike Tishman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 September 2005 at 7:25pm | IP Logged | 6  

Doug Jones wrote:
Just skimmed through some of this thread and the forum page linked to the Byrne Wikipedia page and I am truly amazed that some people really have this kind of time on their hands! To edit and re-edit someone else's biography? Good lord.

The system works because people care. Most trolling and vandalism on Wikipedia is corrected within a matter of minutes, because people care enough to keep tabs on things.

It's part of a larger trend in society - the rise of the "pro-ams." The reason I get so worked up about defending Wikipedia is because it's important. Mass participatory media run by amateurs is what the future looks like.

For an overview of "who this crap serves," read this article from Wired

Edited by Mike Tishman on 16 September 2005 at 7:26pm

Charles Jensen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 September 2005 at 7:25pm | IP Logged | 7  

To say you have an "intense, justified, dislike" of Mchael Bolton's music just doesn't have the same ring to it. Which is all I imagine Eric Kleefeld was trying to get at.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

James Wright
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 September 2005 at 7:32pm | IP Logged | 8  

I hate mayonaise.  I realize that it's not the same thing as hating a person, but it is truly hatred.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 September 2005 at 7:54pm | IP Logged | 9  

I can honestly understand hating a comics pro; don't get me started on Rob
Liefeld.

Just curious, Eric. Do you actually hate Rob Liefeld, the person, or do you simply hate his work in the comics field? Those are two separate things, after all. ( Although the bottom feeders that continue to write the garbage that has become the "John Byrne" entry on Wikipedia certainly can't distinguish between the two). If you hate him as a person, fine, that's how you feel. I was simply wondering if you actually meant what you seemed to be saying.

Glenn Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 September 2005 at 7:59pm | IP Logged | 10  

This whole situation...not just Wikipedia, but the animus towards John in general, just strikes me as very sad and in some ways sick.  Has there ever been a more publicly reviled comic book creator?  I mean, and don't take this the wrong way...but the guy really isn't worth all the time and attention...he's a writer/comic book creator, not a murderous despot or psychopathic child-killer.  If you don't like his opinions, attitude or work, fair enough; support another creator, find another forum.  But all of the energy that's being expended, by supporters and refuters alike, seems to me better suited to other more important pursuits.  IMO.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 September 2005 at 8:00pm | IP Logged | 11  

" Two days and I am ready to run for the hills. Joe Z, you're a better man than I."

Well, the guys currently trying to muck things up are a few levels more whacko than the one I dealt with back then.

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 September 2005 at 8:02pm | IP Logged | 12  

" Joe Zhang: Message board postings from the heart - a collection of posts and essays by my number one fanboy"

ROFL

<< Prev Page of 45 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version