Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 45 Next >>
Topic: Wikipedia (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 16 September 2005 at 8:44am | IP Logged | 1  

Is that anything like Gladly, the cross-eyed bear?

Or possibly Round John Virgin, who I understand
hangs out in stables a lot.
Back to Top profile | search

James C. Taylor
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 September 2005 at 8:45am | IP Logged | 2  

Todd Hembrough wrote:
"Olive, the other raindeer, used to laugh an call him names...."

Drew Barrymore made that book into a pretty neat Christmas cartoon I saw for the first time the last year. It also featured Richard Stans.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 September 2005 at 8:50am | IP Logged | 3  

Snapdragon wrote:
Quote:
When did I ever ask you for anything? You really can't read, can you? And you're an editor, I understand?

Wow, and to think the people here are worried about trolls on other sites.

Snicker. I'm a troll because I called you on your screw-ups?? Hey, which of us is using his real name, "Snapdragon"?

Todd Hembrough
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 September 2005 at 8:57am | IP Logged | 4  

Matt it is exceptionally good cover, to put 2050 posts on a board before you unveil yourself as a troll.

Well done.

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 September 2005 at 8:59am | IP Logged | 5  

Drat! I've been discovered! I hope nobody here will find out where I work... Uh...

;-)

Joe Mayer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 September 2005 at 9:08am | IP Logged | 6  

You should be safe as long as you keep hiding behind that mask of yours, Matt. :)

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 16 September 2005 at 10:19am | IP Logged | 7  

Matt will now reveal his name is really "Semi-gloss".

Gamaliel Snapdragon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 September 2005 at 10:26am | IP Logged | 8  

QUOTE:
On the contrary, you fail first step out of the gate, when you present as an "encyclopedia" something which can be "edited" by anyone who can access the site

Wikipedia is fundamentally an open encyclopedia.  If we closed it off to editing its very nature would change and it would just be another one of countless online reference works.  Its open nature allows it to take advantage of what I think they call the "genius of crowds", drawing on many diverse points of view, and to be more flexible than traditional reference works, and update faster to current changes.  The disadvantages, as we're all aware, are that it is particularly vulnerable to vandalism, trolls, agenda pushers, though the most blantant of this is quickly and easily corrected.

You and some of the other posters here seem to have a problem with the very nature of the site, which is a perfectly valid point of view, but this particular debate isn't going to be solved here. 

QUOTE:
It is not my job to annotate drivel. The entry purports to be about me. If I have a problem with it, it should be corrected without my needing to "present my case". Already this morning I have had to delete a new "biography" that was shot thru with opinion, assumption and complete falsehoods. I have told "Jimbo" the opening paragraph (as originally presented) is all that is needed. It sums up as much as anyone would ever need to know about my career, especially with the attached bibliography. Those who wish more information can consult the latter, without having to wade thru biased opinion first.

Sorry, that is just not going to happen.

Wikipedia is not Who's Who.  The entries are longer and more in depth, and there is no reason to make an exception in your case. 

You seem to adamantly feel that you should not have to provide specifics about what you think is wrong with the article.  That's fine, but this would go a lot smoother if you felt differently.  Harlan Ellison I think felt much the same way about his article, and it was removed in the same way yours was removed.  Then it went back up as is a month or two later because there was no further contact with Ellison and no one knew what he thought was wrong with it. We're going to factcheck this article as much as we can and we're going to remove all the opinionated statements we can spot. Beyond that, I don't know what else we can do without your input.  Whatever happens, there will be a longer article, and it can be one you are happy with or one you are unhappy with.  I sincerely hope it is the former.

Jason Fulton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 September 2005 at 10:34am | IP Logged | 9  

So, would it be OK if I make a page on Wiki about Gamaliel Snapdragon? I'll make sure to make some wildly horrific claims (like, a friend of a friend of some guy I know's sister told me that GS can only get off after he/she/it kills a dog and eats it).

Ah, right, Wiki is only for famous people, and your only claim to fame is harrassing John Byrne. Gotcha.

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 September 2005 at 10:36am | IP Logged | 10  

Jason, it wouldn't matter if you made a page about "Gamaliel Snapdragon." That person does not really exist. This person going by that name on this board hasn't given us his/her real name, that I've seen. There's something revealing about that, I think.

Jason Fulton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 September 2005 at 10:39am | IP Logged | 11  

Says the guy in the Batman mask....with his address in his sig.

Todd Hembrough
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 September 2005 at 10:40am | IP Logged | 12  

Interestingly the only hits in google for "Gamaliel Snapdragon" are in this forum.

<< Prev Page of 45 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version