Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 226 Next >>
Topic: JBF Image Gallery Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 June 2004 at 3:23am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

IMHO, the X-Men page and the Alpha Flight pages have a 'weight' or 'tonnage' that the WW pages lack. Maybe JB ability has increased on thinking the page structure, body language et al, but sometimes (Generations is a good example for me) the pages looks like a rough pencil inked with urge, looking so 'not finished'.

Sometimes this effect is increased via the embedding of 3d models, that increases the contrast bettween an elaborated item (3d model) and the less elaborated environment. I remember the pages with JSA on Generations focused on The Spectre. When I read these, I mentally compare with an issue of Superman (or Action?) teaming up with Superman. I would like to see booth pages uploaded aside, if this is possible.

I think the reason for this is the direct inking over undetailed pencils. I know JB has not lossed his pencil abbilities (JLA & DP uploaded pages demostrates this).

I must agree with Phil (= Felipe :) on Flash rendition on WW page. Him looks like made of plastic to me. Also I agree whit him on the 'special page' versus regular pages, that is equal to 'irregular work' to me. For example, X-Men 137 has an impressive double splash page, but the issue is totally balanced and superb. Several chapters of Generations, lack this balance, IMHO.

Sorry if my oppinion sound somewhere offensive, it's not intended. My english is not perfect, too.

Like Phil, I am a faithfull follower of JB work, past, present and I hope, future.

Edited by Felipe Arambarri on 23 June 2004 at 3:35am
Back to Top profile | search

Luke Smyth
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 June 2004 at 12:42pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Well, I for one appreciate both Phil and Felipes' opinions and honesty.  This is a subject that has bothered me for many years as I am sure it has John altho I suspect for very different reasons.

I like to think I understand art, able to recognise good from bad and yet this matter has me baffled.  I see the limitations in the early work and am aware of the quality and range of the work of more recent vintage, so clearly that is the better work and yet I am drawn to the earlier work. As John said nostalgia is a powerful opiate but I think it is more than that.

For a start the phrase "his old work is better" is clearly a misnomer.  Perhaps his old work was more universally appealling would be more apt.  The magic produced between the synthesis of John and Terry resulted in a very slick and attractive package that stood head and shoulders above the competition at the time, stiff as it was  and catapulted John to the status of number one artist in the industry.  For good reason.  They seemed to excel in spite of their limitations producing work that exceeded their solo abilities at the time.  In other words, magic.

I remember years ago with all the hype about Jim Lee etc. thinking that if John and Terry were still producing the slick work of their X-Men days that they would blow these hot newcomers out of the water. Of course now I realise how ridiculous that is.  To my eye, the magic was starting to wane towards the end of their run on X-Men.  Two artists that were starting to go in separate directions with their respective talents so that by the time Terry inked that Fantastic Four backup some months later the moment had passed.

My reason for this is because in the intervening months John Byrne had gone and produced the magic all on his own but not only that, he refined it.  The subtlety of his work suberbly captured by slick meticulous inking.  Magic.

Over the years Johns' art changed as he developed and experimented.  While the drawing was better the rough inking resulted in a loss of subtlety which was what made him so great in his earlier work.  I was not a fan of the skratchy rendering but I respected his decision to execute his art the way he saw fit.  The more bang for your buck approach to storytelling also left me cold altho I understood the thought process behind it.  Just a matter of taste.

I remember some years back Roger Stern was asked what he thought was Johns' greatest work to which he replied " he hasn't done it yet".  Made sense but I had my doubts.

Confession here.  When JLA 94 came out I was horrified. The inking totally obliterated the pencils.  Since John first started inking his work I have not liked anybody inking his work other than himself.  Sure, some were better than others but nobody could capture the organic quality of John himself.  How Irish of me, here I am complaining about Johns recent inking of himself and yet I don't want anybody else doing it.  Go figure.  So I asked myself, had he lost it.

Then through the generosity of John and dedication of others on this board I got to see the pencils of JLA 94 and then 95, 96,97 etc. Blown away.  Everthing I had been missing was there, tight pencils,subtlety, approach to storytelling everthing.  Magic. All over again.

Still not sure where I stand on this issue but one thing I am sure of, as long as John Byrne continues to produce magic artistic eperimenting included, I will be along for the ride. 

John Papandrea
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 June 2004 at 1:28pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Phil Katzman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 June 2004 at 1:14pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I'm feeling quite nostalgic today.

Phil Katzman
Byrne Robotics Member