Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 28 Next >>
Topic: Biden’s health (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 July 2024 at 2:59pm | IP Logged | 1  

There were plenty of GOP members who spoke out against Trump.  They were all drummed out of the party at best and had their lives and families threatened, at worst.  Again, a key difference between today's Republicans and today's Democrats.

Trump is now the GOP and the GOP is Trump, and dissent and disloyalty are forbidden, and those who remain in the party are either deeply cynical people (Ted Cruz comes to mind) or full on Kool-Aid fans.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 July 2024 at 3:00pm | IP Logged | 2  

I was referring to the Dems and the Media. THEY should be embarrassed.

-C!

Edited by Charles Valderrama on 19 July 2024 at 3:01pm

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 19 July 2024 at 3:01pm | IP Logged | 3  

Trump supporters see and hear what they want to see and hear. Consider the use of his mug shot as a “never surrender” poster!
Back to Top profile | search

Dave Kopperman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 July 2024 at 3:07pm | IP Logged | 4  

@Charles: why, exactly, should those of us who are registered Democrats be embarrassed?

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 July 2024 at 3:12pm | IP Logged | 5  

Honestly, if you're aware of the current conversation, you should know I'm referring to the Dems and media who are questioning Biden's ability to win this election. If no one here agrees with me, I can handle it.

-C!

Dave Kopperman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 July 2024 at 3:29pm | IP Logged | 6  

Me wrote:
Consider me a very strong long-term Biden supporter. I am now in favor of replacing him as a candidate.

Charles wrote:
How're you a "very strong long-term Biden supporter" and want to replace him??

I'm not sure this is "handling it" as much as it's being somewhere between the first two steps on the Kübler-Ross model. I'm still moving from step four to step five.  I feel your anger.  It doesn't help.

Edited by Dave Kopperman on 19 July 2024 at 3:29pm

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 July 2024 at 3:37pm | IP Logged | 7  

I'm not sure this is "handling it" as much as it's being somewhere between the first two steps on the Kübler-Ross model.
Because I asked a simple question? It was clear and without snarky intentions. Sorry you read it differently.

-C!

Dave Kopperman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 July 2024 at 3:44pm | IP Logged | 8  

Two question marks are the forum equivalent of the guy next to you at the bar putting down his beer and initiating staredown protocol.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 19 July 2024 at 4:30pm | IP Logged | 9  

Hold on there, buckaroo! Please don’t apply your own definitions to various bits of Forum “language” as if they are official. Posters are free to use punctuation as they please. Myself, I use ?? as a stand-in for Huh?
Back to Top profile | search

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 July 2024 at 4:45pm | IP Logged | 10  

Thanks, JB... appreciate the clarification.

-C!

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 July 2024 at 6:49pm | IP Logged | 11  

Carl the janitor and assistant principal Richard Vernon discuss generational change in THE BREAKFAST CLUB:

Richard: "Carl, I've been teaching for 22 years, and each year, these kids get more and more arrogant."

Carl: "Aww, bullshit, man. Come on, Vern. The kids haven't changed, you have."

It's a reassuring quote that suggests the world doesn't really change nearly so much as our own perception of it but I've found myself more and more in Vernon's square, uptight and judgy shoes ever since Trump's arrival on the political stage in 2015/16. Some of it is surely the self-reinforcing algorithms of the internet and media outlets which feed us a steady diet of the same information supporting our perceived political views in a feedback loop so that our perceptions of the world become more and more polarized compared to those with differing views who get fed a completely different story to support their positions. But I truly believe Trump is also the focal point of a sea change. Not only in the coalescing of hard line partisanship, scapegoating and distortion but also in something of shocking breakdown in basic civil discourse. And though I see his faction distorting and lying far more, both sides are guilty of it.

I've always considered myself a centrist and have voted both Republican and Democrat based on the candidates over the years but I've never seen anything like Trump. Forgetting his continuous stream of lying, his ability to shrug off so many albatrosses which would have sunk any other candidate from sex scandals to 34 felony convictions to multiple bankruptcies and welching on payments to contractors to fraud and inciting insurrection about stolen elections when he was the one who tried to steal it... As Tom Hanks recently observed, the Republic can and will endure whatever the next four years brings. That holds for Trump, Biden or Kamala Harris. But I can't help thinking that I'm in some mirror universe where the whole world has already changed into something I no longer recognize where Spock has a beard and the lie has become so big it can't be exposed or everything will fail.

"The illogic of waste, Mr. Spock. A waste of lives, potential, resources, time. I submit to you that your Empire is illogical because it cannot endure. I submit that *you* are illogical to be a willing part of it...
If change is inevitable, predictable, beneficial, doesn't logic DEMAND that you be a part of it? ...In every revolution , there's one man with a vision."

Trump is leader of that mirror Empire and he has marshaled the troops in lockstep around him. I see no one out there presently with the vision to compete with him.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Casey Sager
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 July 2024 at 6:56pm | IP Logged | 12  

As a registered Democrat I'm only embarrassed that there was no real competition or "primary" this time around and the DNC just wanted to annoint a guy whose decline was not only hidden from us, but hidden from a lot of congress.

I'm not embarrassed that the majority of Republicans are 1) idiots or 2) afraid to dissent for fear of the R base. Saddened, angered, stupefied...yes.

My uncle for example is college eduated, a retired person who had his own business for 20 years, has a lesbian niece and another gay relative. But he is all Trump 1000% and posts some of the most vile stuff I've seen on Facebook including LBGTQ+ bashing regularly.

He was not like this ( openly ) until the 2020 election. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

<< Prev Page of 28 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version