Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 1033 Next >>
Topic: Statues, Action Figures and Other Toys Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 January 2013 at 8:55pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I think that's the final nail in the coffin for my hopes for full-sized Bowen Alpha Flight statues. 

Just give it time. Bowen will get there eventually.

As for the Hobgoblin. That one is looking great.  Just fix the cape.

Edited by Benny Hasa on 23 January 2013 at 8:56pm
Back to Top profile | search

Caleb M. Edmond
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 January 2013 at 2:44pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Between the Hobgoblin, Archangel and (possibly) the Stryfe statues, a brotha's gonna' go broke!!!!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Bill Mimbu
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 January 2013 at 4:24pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Good news for those picking up Bandai's S.H. Monster Arts Toho movie monster figures...

In addition to the general release of the Heisei-era Godzilla's final opponent, Destroyah, Bandai's Blue-Fin North American distributors will be offering the Japan web-only exclusive Destroyah variant figures for sale as well:

[Collection DX Link]

Edited by Bill Mimbu on 26 January 2013 at 4:26pm

Trevor Phillip
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 January 2013 at 6:23pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Didn't Angel have yellow boots when he wore the Blue/white costume?   I thought the white boots were just from the XFactor blue/white.

Bill Mimbu
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 January 2013 at 8:57am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Just the accessories you need for your 1/12 scale figure dioramas...

Same scale toilets and urinals...

[HLJ Link 1]

[HLJ Link 2]

My friends tell me that they often have the hard task of writing up descriptions of items such as these while trying not to interject humor...

Fabrice Renault
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 January 2013 at 8:52am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Kitchenware (well, I'll use it for decoration)

Bill Mimbu
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 January 2013 at 2:21pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Kaiyodo's Sci-Fi Revoltech series is coming out with the Batmobile Tumbler in two paint schemes:

[Batmobile Tumbler]

[Camouflage Tumbler] (Kaiyodo webshop exclusive)

Not sure if the Camo Tumbler comes with the same accessories as the Batmobile one

Edited by Bill Mimbu on 30 January 2013 at 2:21pm

Allan Summerall
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 January 2013 at 4:58am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I picked up the Diamond Select/Art Asylum Enterprise-B and Klingon Bird of Prey yesterday

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 31 January 2013 at 7:20am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Didn't Angel have yellow boots when he wore the Blue/white costume?   I thought the white boots were just from the XFactor blue/white.

••

When Neal Adams first gave Angel the black and white costume, they were black "jack boots", not the more familiar skin tight "sock boots". This touch, as well as the configuration of the white "stripe" down the center, was almost immediately forgotten/ignored by other artists.

When the costume turned to red and white, to give the Chamions "more color", the gloves and boots became yellow.

For a while, Angel also lost much of the black modeling on the red suit, making it possible for me to indicate clearly that this was not the black version in THIS commission piece.

Allan Summerall
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 February 2013 at 7:43pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

The Enterprise-D is coming in for me this week at my shop and I ordered the "Mirror,Mirror" version through the Diamond Select website. Should get it late next week or early the following week.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 02 February 2013 at 7:52am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

That I.S.S. Enterprise doesn't really work for me. Aside from the fact that there are painting details we didn't see on the episode, such as the impaled Earth icon, it's not really possible to model the ship "definitively". since the opening "flipped" shot, the first time we see it, is the pilot version, with the raised bridge and larger deflector dish (as seen in the model above), but subsequent shots are of the series version.

Now, granted, when I was a teenager watching TOS, and noticed that the ship "changed" episode to episode and sometimes even shot to shot, I attributed this to ACTUAL changes -- that the bridge raised and lowered, that the spheres on the ends of the warp nacelles were retractable, that the dish expanded and contracted -- but these were assumptions on my part, and not official canon.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 February 2013 at 1:15pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

That Diamond toy is basically just riffing on the Mirror Universe option offered by the 1/1000 Polar Lights model kit.

In additon to its inclusion of the options for the pilot and production versions, the 1/1000 kit's instructions work on the assumption that the Mirror Universe ship was "really"  in the second pilot configuration, and had those Imperial markings (since, in the side-view, flip-flop shot, those areas of the ship were not visible on-camera).

Here's an example of the 1/1000 kit built in that configuration--

http://www.therpf.com/f11/iss-enterprise-91486/

It only makes sense that the Diamond toy would have the same look, since I believe that Thomas Sasser, who designed the 1/1000 kit (and its Mirror markings), also designed the Diamond toy ship(s).

I do understand why the markings were added--it provides some visual distinctiveness for the Mirror version. Otherwise, the ship would presumably be identical to "our" Enterprise, except for "I.S.S." instead of "U.S.S." on the saucer. And, for someone who wants to have a display of the different Enterprises, that would look a bit...boring! The Imperial markings make the Mirror version more easily identifiable.

Edited by Greg Kirkman on 02 February 2013 at 1:21pm

<< Prev Page of 1033 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version