Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Fan Fic
Byrne Robotics > Fan Fic << Prev Page of 69 Next >>
Topic: X-MEN.ELSEWHEN.31--Comments Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 March 2022 at 1:33pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I love seeing JB's work from when he was a mere mortal-- and this piece makes me smile.

I can't help thinking of that phrase sometimes used in snarky criticism -- it looks a bit like it was drawn by someone who had been told about the New X-Men, but hadn't actually seen them yet.
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 07 March 2022 at 1:46pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Oh, and HERE’S something that completely misrepresents the point of the original drawing.

sigh

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 07 March 2022 at 2:03pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

And HERE’S a “review” that gets the origins of ELSEWHEN wrong.

Paul Wills
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 March 2022 at 2:16pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

It seems many 'reviewers' automatically have to state that this started as a Marvel project - which fell through (or in some cases was declined by Marvel). Easily remedied by just researching the source of where the material originated
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 March 2022 at 2:28pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

It's really not enough that reviewers show they don't know the difference is between a "retcon" and picking up the story where it was left off --it's also necessary to use the most condescending tone possible.

There are so many subtle references to the collective group-think on Byrne. Everything is so predictable and (yawn) easily assessed. You'd think Elsewhen was just another in a long line of projects that are all so similar that it's a chore to review them.

To compare this project with "X-Men Forever" is to compare apples and oranges. There is far more that is different between the two projects than what is the same.

For ELSEWHEN, there is really no accurate comp to what this series has become. Nothing even comes close.

John Northey
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 March 2022 at 3:40pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

That one about the image was so silly as to make me think it had to be a parody account, but it isn't.  You'd think by now people would have figured out commissions are done by artists all the time and the person getting it done decides what the theme is, not the artist.  For example, if I was willing to blow the money I could ask to have the Legion of Super-Heroes done as an Earth 2 team (ie: costumes matching up to the JSA as they would've been inspired by that instead of by Superboy - no idea how that would look, but an Earth 2 LSH is something I'd love to see).  Then someone would decide that is what Mr. Byrne would've done if he took over the Legion which would be 100% wrong.  

I love the commissions others have done.  I remember someone I used to see at cons who had a book based on a one shot character who came out in the 50's and had artists do a sketch based on him.  That was one of the more fun books.  Another had a 'wisdom of Lobo' book which was a cover with blank pages inside and he had people do Lobo sketches inside.  So much fun, yet some take those as meaning something beyond 'fan had a cool idea and paid artists to draw it'.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Steven Queen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 March 2022 at 5:04pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Was that 1975 sketch the first time you drew the new X-men?

Do you have any older drawings of the original X-team?

Thank you for sharing that one.

Also, I don't comment as often as I had been not because I am not blown away on a daily basis, but for some reason on all the other computers I own my posts hang indefinitely. Only with this one laptop do they get through.

So let me just reiterate my appreciation for ELSEWHEN while I am able. During this small March hiatus, I am even more aware of the magic it brings to each day. Thank you!

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 07 March 2022 at 5:55pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Historical Background: that X-Men piece wasn’t a commission. It was just me goofing around, following a motif I’d used on a COMIC READER cover. Neither it, nor that cover, had anything to do with the creation of the ANAD X-Men.

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 March 2022 at 6:47am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I like the drawing of the ANAD X-Men in the school uniforms-- it's definitely an alternate take on the team and is fun to look at. Wolverine in a school uniform? That's great!

Hope all's well with you, JB, and that the wild fluctuations of the weather aren't causing any mischief. (My wife and I both have mild colds so... thanks, Nature!)

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 08 March 2022 at 8:19am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I’ll note there’s really no way ELSEWHEN could be considered a “retcon”. The term means “retroactive continuity”. The biggest example of such is probably Superboy, who was inserted into Superman’s continuity—wait for it!—retroactively.

ELSEWHEN has its own internal continuity, but none of it impacts in any way on the “real” continuity Marvel is producing. That continuity itself being riddled with retcons. (It was introduced so long ago many readers don’t realize, for instance, that Magneto being the father of Wanda and Pietro was a retcon.)

Stevie Thomas
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 March 2022 at 4:17pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Lots of Neal Adams influence in that '75 drawing! 
Back to Top profile | search | www

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 March 2022 at 7:12pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

"Retcon" is a buzzword that some people throw around without knowing what it means, for sure.
ELSEWHEN is an alternate history; no "shocking new revelations" have been introduced into the saga, much less passed off as "the truth you NEVER suspected!" Or somesuch.
And it ought to be enjoyed on that basis. (As I am.)

<< Prev Page of 69 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version