Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Fan Fic
Byrne Robotics > Fan Fic << Prev Page of 39 Next >>
Topic: X-MEN.ELSEWHEN 24--Comments Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 July 2021 at 10:20am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Awww. Peter and Kurt together. Just delicious, man!

And that lightning looks colored in my eyes - but it's just white with a little electric blue. How you manipulate light is a true delight!
Back to Top profile | search

Jean Sterling Ajouissance
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 July 2021 at 11:46am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Mr. Byrne does seem to have a way with these two.
Let's just hope they
steer clear of opera house private boxes.

(Edit: Image removed. Jean, per the
Forum Decorum, please do not post colored
versions of JB's B&W art -- Tim)

Edited by Tim O Neill on 14 July 2021 at 4:31pm

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 July 2021 at 12:53pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

They're a great study in contrasts- Peter is big, strong, and indestructible, Kurt is smaller, quick, and inhumanly agile. But both share deep convictions and think through what comes their way. They're a terrific pairing.

Tony Moretti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 July 2021 at 3:05pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Big apple?
--------------
Yes, spelled b-r-a-i-n-f-a-r-t. The second from last panel triggered a city scape in head. Don't mind me. I need a nap.

Chris Durnell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 July 2021 at 4:26pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

It occurred to me that Colossus's comment on the mansion's dilapidation is a bit of an anachronism.

It would have made sense for 1970's Colossus, the son of collective farmers and at a time when the Bolshevik Coup was under 60 years old.  It makes less sense in a sliding timescale when Colossus would just have been a non-collectivized farmer's son in post-Soviet Russia.  

Indeed, Colossus "now" likely was born after Putin became President when Russia was recovering from Communism and the immediate economic transition.  Any abandoned country estates from the Revolution would be over 100 years old at this point and likely looking far worse than Xavier's mansion (which might be 7-10 years?).  A more obvious reference for this Colossus would have been something abandoned as a result of the end of the Communist era ("only" thirty years ago!).

Probably the most apt comment would have been something like "I have seen things like this in Russia.  Collectivized farms abandoned when Communism fell.  Left to collapse under the weight of history!"

This isn't a complaint.  The reference still works.  It's not like Peter is saying "Lenin's Ghost!" anymore.

(The passage of time has affected a lot of the All New, All Different X-Men.  Nightcrawler, formerly of West Germany, was now born in a united Germany.  We could assume 1975 GSXM Storm had originally been born when Kenya was a British Colony (not ended until 1963).  Now Storm would have been born in a Kenya long independent.  Even Banshee's Ireland has changed tremendously from a relatively poor agricultural country with lots of emigration to a booming Celtic Tiger with a  growing high tech economy and lots of immigration.  Though none of these have the importance that the Cold War ending did.)

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 July 2021 at 4:36pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

🤦‍♂️

Joe Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 July 2021 at 5:45pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

#Nerdbomber
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 14 July 2021 at 5:48pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Somehow the estates abandoned after the revolution… evaporated?

Chris Durnell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 July 2021 at 11:48pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I'm just saying the abandoned buildings of post-Soviet Russia would be a more obvious and topical comment for "this" Colossus (2021 vs mid-1970s)  to make.  They'd be both contemporary to him and more likely to be in the same state of dilapidation than the much older and more rare estates of a 100 years ago.

But as I said, the reference used still works.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 15 July 2021 at 5:13am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Now Storm would have been born in a Kenya long independent.

••

BTW, Ororo was born in Harlem.

Ted Downum
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 July 2021 at 5:33am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

A few scattered thoughts on this morning's page...

1) Uh oh, X-Men.
2) That is one furious-looking Thunder God!
3) How did I not see this coming?
4) The Warriors Three (and Sif...the Warriors Four)!
5) UH-OH, X-MEN!

Fantastic!

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 15 July 2021 at 5:46am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Now, the Secret I have been trying to keep.

When I started posting ELSEWHEN, there were eight issues in the drawer. Eight full issues, to which I was adding pages daily. One of the longest lead times I have ever created for myself. (HIDDEN YEARS had five issues in the drawer, when it started, but editorial incompetence still managed to make the first issue ship late.)

Time and tide have caused me to lose some of that healthy backlog. Cutting big chunks of subplot, for instance. And my habit of sometimes jumping ahead to draw pages that belonged to future issues. This I most often did because I was not exactly certain of what would be the next page of the issue actually on the board, but I didn't want to waste a day doing nothing. Over the months I've accrued the equivalent of several issues worth of random pages. (I actually caught up to one of them on Tuesday.)

All this means as I am posting pages for issue 24, I am working on issue 25. That's why the sharper eyed among you were able to spot the Warriors Three "model sheet" I sketched for myself, sitting to one side on my board in that picture I posted.

I don't like crowding my "deadlines" this close, but I can draw some comfort from how close I am getting to those "future" pages. When I catch up, I'll start jumping ahead in large chunks!

<< Prev Page of 39 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version