Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 376 Next >>
Topic: Marvel Figurine Collection Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 September 2007 at 2:15am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

As I stated above, I am very pleased with this collection !
The figurines do not take too much room (my wife's first concern !)
However, I have some complaints about the figurines.

1/ They are too much static for my taste,I would have liked more acrobatic poses for "dynamic" characters such as Spidey, Nightcrawler or the Beast.
I don't like the Hulk pose, but I bought it anyway because it just doesn't make any sense to have a Marvel collection without Hulk ! But I would have prefered more rage and anger in that pose.
I don't like the Beast version, a good job has been made on the fur, but I just don't like the choice made for the character (I prefer the previous version, when Hank was more gorilla like).

2/ My other complaint is about the paint, when it comes to metallic characters such as Colossus or the siver Surfer. I think the paint is to gray and lacks of chrome. I am glad with Ultron and Doctor Doom paint job however.

I think it's too bad that Ghost Rider was released without the bike.

I hope some big characters such as Terrax, Abomination, Absorbing MAn, the Rhino, Sasquatch will be released.

Back to Top profile | search

Didier Yvon Paul Fayolle
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 September 2007 at 2:51am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Wow...

WonderWoman...

Dream comes true...

Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 18 September 2007 at 6:58am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

They are too much static for my taste,I would have liked more acrobatic poses for "dynamic" characters such as Spidey, Nightcrawler or the Beast.

••

It seems as tho the "normal humans" are being made from a single, standard form. Thus, Spider-Man, Iceman, Daredevil, Angel, Nightcrawler, etc are all standing upright with essential the same body types. One good thing about this is that I can easily imagine myself picking up a dozen Icemen and going to town customizing figures they don't get arount to making.

On the other hand, looking at the neat poses on Colossus, Black Panther, Juggernaut, etc, I wish some of the others were given more characteristic poses. As I have mentioned before, makes me want to get after Spider-Man and Nightcrawler with a heat source and a pair of plyers. (No, not to get medieval on their asses!)

+++

My other complaint is about the paint, when it comes to metallic characters such as Colossus or the siver Surfer. I think the paint is to gray and lacks of chrome.

••

Neither of those characters should be "chrome". Colossus is exactly the right color, and the Norrin Radd is, after all, the Silver Surfer.

Ryan Maxwell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 September 2007 at 7:26am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I plunked down some cash and ordered several figures from a site in England:
  • Captain America
  • Captain Britain - Time to get busy on a Guardian mod
  • Vision
  • Scarlet Witch
  • Hawkeye
  • Ultron
  • Black Cat
Getting Black Cat means I'll eventually cave in and buy Spider-Man, which will be fine because I really like the Kraven sculpt.  There are several more I'll probably get, but this was a big enough investment for now.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Richard Franck
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 September 2007 at 2:51am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

" Neither of those characters should be "chrome". Colossus is exactly the right color, and the Norrin Radd is, after all, the Silver Surfer. "

Okay John, forgive a french guy for not being able to give much subtleties...

Let me explain. : in the picture below, this is the kind of paint I call "metallic chrome", not too gray and with a little shade of blue.

THIS is the kind of paint I would have liked to see applied on this figurine (which is great However, cool pose!)

When it comes to paint metallic characters, I always have this kind of dilemnia : gray metallic or blue metallic ?
When I painted my Horizon ROBOCOP vinyl kit, it was hard to choose, but I managed to get a cool Blue Gray Metallic.

And while we discuss metallic character, I think THEY MUST ADD ROM the SPACEKNIGHT to this collection ! Along with a huge Titanium Man !

John Webb
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 September 2007 at 4:15am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I received my Nova, Scarlet Witch and Apocolypse the other day. They are very nice indeed. I think on balance though I would have prefered Nova to have been in his classic uniform

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 19 September 2007 at 9:48am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I hate you people who live at the Source.

Ryan Maxwell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 September 2007 at 9:49am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Ditto, especially since I haven't seen the shipping charges on my order yet.

Richard Franck
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 September 2007 at 2:10am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

According to the site, here is a list of the "Huge" DC figurines that Eaglemoss plans to release (special runs, like Hulk, Colossus, Juggernaut in the Marvel Collection)

• Darkseid (it would be great to see this ugly bast*rd standing next to Thanos)
  • Swamp thing (mff!)
  • Bane
  • Doomsday (can't wait to see this one!)
  • Killer Croc 
  • Lobo (don't like this one)
  • Man-Bat (him neither)
  • Solomon Grundy  (oh yeah, but a different pose from Hulk please !)

Richard Franck
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 September 2007 at 4:53am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Thanks to http://www.marvelcustoms.co.uk/newdc.htm, we now have a first Marvel/DC crossover.

Pretty good job on Batman, don't you think ?

I would have liked more movement to the cape however...

Gil Dowling
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 September 2007 at 5:42am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

@Steve Reaper - Do you have a list of paint colors used for all the figures produced so far. Or at least Gambit? I need to repaint his legs.

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 September 2007 at 1:52am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

What do people think of the magazines that come with the figures?

Personally, I find them variable and am amazed that some of them (especially the Wolverine one) were passed by Marvel. While there can be some really good selections of art, there are some really poor selections as well while at times the copy can degenerate into contempt. I find it strange that such care can be taken with the figures and then the magazine, while having a lot of research behind it, can ruin the effect by having snide comments.

A good example of this is the recent Scarlet Witch issue. The history article has lots of snide remarks about the character yet the powers section is written with complete respect for the character.

<< Prev Page of 376 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version