Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 March 2019 at 8:13pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

New commission from Daniel HDR

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Dan Hubbarde
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 March 2019 at 8:25am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Toronto Comic Con was a success! The latest addition to my Fantastic Four Jam I started with Byrne’s sketches, Mike Zeck pencilled Dr Doom and John Beatty inked it. More additions to come in the future! Mike and John were thrilled to work with Byrne. For the remaining characters, I have Art Adams, Joe Sinnott, and Walter Simonson in mind.

Reed Richards - John Byrne
Dr Doom - Zeck/Beatty

Thing (partially completed) - John Byrne

Sorry for the poor quality photo, had to reduce the resolution ALOT.

Back to Top profile | search

Fred J Chamberlain
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 March 2019 at 7:07pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Stunningly powerful image of Batman in action. Floored
and moved, every time that I look at it.

I've been extremely fortunate in gathering several
pages from this book. This doesn't have the powerful
fluidity that the Batman/Hulk fight pages have, nor
does it have the heavy beautiful storytelling that
propels the tale forward, but it has all of the raw,
yet majestic feel that Jose's action pieces
contain...... plus it transforms me into an excited
child all over again.

Garcia-Lopez and Giordano produced magic, with this
book.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 March 2019 at 7:16pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Fred, those are some great pages from the Batman/Incredible Hulk team-up! Nice!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 20 March 2019 at 7:33pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Dan, I saw that JB sketch on sale on Jim Warden's site, and I thought it was a cool item to get.  I think having another artist draw on it is a horrible decision.  Wouldn't you need the original artist's consent to do this?  Is this common practice?  

Jason K Fulton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 March 2019 at 7:57pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

That's an awesome JGL page, Fred!

Dan Hubbarde
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 March 2019 at 3:26pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Tim, yes it is actually known as a “jam piece” a project that involves adding sketches from different artists to one page, something I know that many people do. This is being turned into a Fantastic Four jam piece, featuring Mr Fantastic, Thing, Human Torch, Invisible Girl, and Dr Doom. I bought the piece with the intent to add some great Fantastic Four artists to it, and so far I think it’s been a success. Even Joe Sinnott has agreed to add Human Torch to it, and I was very happy with how Zeck and Beatty’s Doom turned out. Trust me, I’m not adding any random modern artists to this thing, the artists I have on my list are worthy enough to contribute, I have high hopes for this piece. Don’t think I’d need consent if I already purchased the piece.

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 22 March 2019 at 8:17am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I know what a jam piece is, Dan - it’s just that every jam story I’ve heard is commissioned as a jam piece.  The original artist is in on the intent, including leaving room for others, or even sketching the position of the next figure on a team piece.  I think you took too much liberty on this.  I really don’t understand this side of fandom.

I think you bought a unique sketchbook piece - a real gem.  It just seems wrong to me.

Jason K Fulton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 March 2019 at 9:57am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I can look at something like this....

....and think, HOLY CRAP, they ruined the page!

But taking this....

....and adding to it (especially if you can get FF artists like Sinnott to do it) seems like a terrific idea / neat piece of artwork.

Also, I'm posting Dan's Simonson Doom art on this page, because it's great:

Dan has a lot of cool pieces of art at his CAF page, you should check them out:

https://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=121938

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 March 2019 at 10:13am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Hmmm. One of the cool things about the JB sketch was the negative space beneath Reed's gorget. That is now gone. The piece was also a document showing how much detail of the Thing was in the pencils and how much was added at the inking stage. That now is gone as well.

Edited by Peter Martin on 22 March 2019 at 10:14am

Dan Hubbarde
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 March 2019 at 1:55pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Tim, this isn't the first time something like this has been done. I've seen many great jams started from an artist's sketch and turned into something much greater. Someone else even turned a page of layouts by John Byrne into a jam, and it looks amazing. Also, Arthur Adams posted a picture of him inking a Thing sketch from John Byrne, and around it there are other head shots John drew, being inked by different artists. For those like myself who really wish to own a jam piece featuring John Byrne, this is the absolute only way of achieving it. In my opinion, the sketch I purchased was a great fit for this, John unintentionally left space for the rest of the FF members, I'm guessing he was planning to add them until he stopped working on Thing. Mike Zeck was really thrilled with the idea when I showed him the piece, I guess some people have different views on this. 

Jason, thanks for the kind words! It's much easier adding other legendary creators once they've seen John Byrne on the jam, so it helps a lot. The artists I'd like to add are very talented themselves. 

Peter, the inks you're seeing on Thing is something I added very quickly. I'm hoping to have Art Adams ink Thing, and it'll look totally different from my version I inked digitally.

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 23 March 2019 at 11:59am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

For those like myself who really wish to own a jam piece featuring John Byrne, this is the absolute only way of achieving it.”

I disagree with your overall on this, but this aspect is really an issue for me.  A jam piece is something that happens at a convention or is commissioned as such.  If you want a jam piece with JB and can’t get it because he doesn’t do conventions or doesn’t do the commission, then you don’t get your jam piece.  Instead, you cheat it and make your own decisions about what to do with art.  It’s a part of this art commission world that I find so distasteful - the person commissioning wants to play Jim Shooiter Junior, which would be fine if you weren’t messing with original art, in which each piece is unique.

How do you approach the first artist on the piece?  Did you tell them this was a sketchbook you bought, or did you present its origin as a jam piece?  How acceptable is this process on the convention circuit?  And I don’t mean how common jam pieces are - how common is it to take an artist’s work that wasn’t intended as a jam piece and have other artists work on it?  

<< Prev Page of 1492 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version