Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 August 2016 at 1:22pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Beautiful Pelletier pages.
Back to Top profile | search

Paul W. Sondersted, Jr.
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 August 2016 at 9:20pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

This guy, Chris Malgrain, is definitely influenced by JB.
He has a new comic book coming out next month...
Here's a sneak peek...

Edited by Paul W. Sondersted, Jr. on 30 August 2016 at 9:21pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 August 2016 at 8:55am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Yeah, definitely....I thought it was Anthony Castrillo for a second.

EDIT: just noticed the "After Byrne" credit on the cover. I'm not placing what it's based on, though?

Edited by Vinny Valenti on 31 August 2016 at 8:57am
Back to Top profile | search

Rich Marzullo
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 August 2016 at 10:33am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Vinny, it kind of reminds me of JB's faux Fantastic Four cover commission...

LINK

Daniel Beziz
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 August 2016 at 1:55pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

At Paris Comics Expo, Paul Renaud didn't have the time to draw the Thor I had asked him for. But being one of the nicest artists out there, he offered to draw it at his home and mail it to me.

Ari Shapiro
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 August 2016 at 2:18pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Daniel, I LOVE that! Great story and awesome art!

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Daniel Beziz
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 August 2016 at 3:35pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Thank you Ari !
Paul was such in high demand at Paris Comics Expo, even with more famous names around like Art Adams, Mark Brooks, Paolo Rivera, JS Campbell and Bruce Timm. His table was always busy.
I was last on his list but I think we were two who he offered to draw for at his home. His schedule is so full, we were very lucky.
What a nice guy !!! And like you, I love what he does !

Terry Doyle
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 September 2016 at 4:16pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

New in today . . .

Vic Fair prototype original artwork painting for the highly-regarded 1981 movie, THE FRENCH LIEUTENANT’S WOMAN.

“Actors Meryl Streep, Jeremy Irons, Hilton McRae, Emily Morgan and Charlotte Mitchell under Karel Reisz's superb, sensitive and fluid direction bring Harold Pinter and John Fowles screenplay to the screen in stunning fashion. Some of the scenes will live in the memory for a long time, so powerful are the visuals.

Set in 19th Century England it is the story of a chance meeting between Sarah (Meryl Streep), an eerily beautiful woman, and Charles (Jeremy Irons), a biologist about to be married; they have a brief but passionate affair but her deep sadness and past force her to leave him. The movie works on two chronological levels, switching seamlessly between the two parallel stories which mirror each other in many ways.

Visually, this film is stunningly beautiful and haunting in the way the story of Sarah, a Victorian outcast, unfolds to reveal her history.”

For his prototype artwork, displaying a high degree of finish (for what is effectively a prelim), British artist Vic Fair chose a simple but very effective design of the Meryl Streep character’s portrait enveloping a key moment from the movie. As good as the idea might have been, the design was rejected in favour of what appears to be a mostly photographic image for the resulting movie poster campaign (that still managed to retain much of Fair’s original concept).

“In the history of British film posters there are few characters as significant and influential as the designer and artist Vic Fair. During a career that spanned close to forty years, many of them spent as part of the same ever-evolving agency, Vic lent his inimitable style to several of the most iconic British movie posters ever printed. He designed marketing campaigns for most of the big film studios and distributors, including for the likes of Hammer Films and all of the posters for the very British ‘Confessions…’ series of bawdy comedies. Over the years, Vic also developed a strong working relationship with many of the British film industry’s leading directors, including Nicolas Roeg, Terry Gilliam and Michael Winner.

One of the things that really set Vic apart from his contemporaries were his skills at developing concepts that were unique and stood out from what was often a sea of other ideas, depending on how many design agencies a distributor might have been working with. He had a natural talent for concepts that used ingenious juxtaposition of elements to create surprising layouts and he wasn’t one to shy away from risqué concepts, many of which unfortunately never made onto a printing press. Many of these designs did, however, make it through to the end of the process and clearly demonstrate his cheeky sense of humour.”

Edited by Terry Doyle on 01 September 2016 at 4:19pm
Back to Top profile | search | www

Terry Doyle
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 September 2016 at 8:39am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Second of four new movie poster originals new in this week . . .

In all honesty, High-Ballin' is not a film I ever remember seeing or will ever want to see. In doing some background research, the following review raised a chuckle with me:

"As much money seems to have been spent on stuntmen as actors. Cars screech, do wheelies, fly off a large hauler, turn somersaults, burst into flames, and generally do everything but tapdance on their reckless way to oblivion, sometimes on lonely Weston Road or in front of the Harbour Castle Hotel."

The Big Sleep is a remake of a 1946 movie. Set in England, rather than California, the story follows Raymond Chandler's book fairly closely otherwise. Philip Marlowe is asked by the elderly (and near death) General Sternwood to investigate an attempt at blackmail on one of his daughters. He soon finds that the attempt is half hearted at best and seems to be more connected with the disappearance of the other daughter's husband, Rusty Regan. Rusty's wife, seems unconcerned with his disappearance, further complicating the mystery. Only General Sternwood seems concerned as mobsters and hired killers continue to appear in the path of the investigation.

Chantrell's artwork makes (what are likely to be) two lacklustre movies seem appealing to potential cinema-goers being faced with an intriguing front-of-house movie poster display.

As such, nice art - shame about the movies . . .

Ted Pugliese
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 September 2016 at 9:18pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I went to the Baltimore Comic-Con today and saw Scott
Green, Fred Chamberlain, Paul Greer, and Roger Ash. I
wasn't there to buy art really, but I picked up this
pre-ordered Hulk by Khoi Pham (It's just a little too
big for my scanner).

Ted Pugliese
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 September 2016 at 9:19pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Khoi gave me a Cap freebee too.

Ted Pugliese
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 September 2016 at 9:20pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Again, I wasn't there to buy any art, but I when I saw
Ramona Fradon, I had to get this Green Lantern.

<< Prev Page of 1492 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version