Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Fan Fic
Byrne Robotics > Fan Fic << Prev Page of 46 Next >>
Topic: X-MEN.ELSEWHEN 28--Comments Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 November 2021 at 7:22am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Magneto must be having a whole lot of unhappy thoughts about now.
And it's nice to see Kurt again, even though he was left in a pretty bad place emotionally. I look forward to seeing what's going on with him now.

Edited by Andrew Bitner on 23 November 2021 at 7:23am
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 23 November 2021 at 7:25am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Whenever I draw Nightcrawler I find myself thinking of something Roger Stern said when we were starting up on CAPTAIN AMERICA. "He's built like Superman, but he moves like Spider-Man."

Kurt's acrobatics are in a realm somewhere between those two, also. Not quite flight, but more than just jumping around.

ron bailey
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 November 2021 at 7:31am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I've been thinking about those secondary abilities of the X-Men coming from training as opposed to their mutant power:  made me rethink so much of their character, like Scott's strategic/tactical skills. I guess Kurt's athletic abilities fall under the same banner. Although I suspect the anatomy of his extremities helps somewhat :)  < id="protanopia"> < id="deuteranopia"> < id="tritanopia">

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 23 November 2021 at 7:35am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Kurt, as noted many times before, is a grab-bag of powers and abilities, very much at odds with the original concept of Marvel mutants. Virtually everything he does comes from some aspect of his powers. His training (in the circus and with the X-Men) has, to borrow a line from Harry Mudd, basically given him more of what he already had.

Dave B Stewart
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 November 2021 at 7:50am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Goodness, I just love seeing Doctor Doom in your capable hands.

Richard Stevens
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 November 2021 at 7:50am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Great transition from dead alternate Kurt to our Kurt today – I got the distinct impression of someone stepping on his grave! I wish I could feel worried for this Magneto, but he deserves whatever Doom has in mind for him.

Edited by Richard Stevens on 23 November 2021 at 7:53am
Back to Top profile | search | www

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 November 2021 at 7:55am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Nightcrawler question: how far can he BAMF...?

(Wondering, based on the last panel in the latest page, how long it would take him to get around the city.)

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 23 November 2021 at 7:59am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Kurt's power is line of sight teleportation. Altho he has occasionally risked jumping into areas he cannot see--closed rooms, for instance--his preference is to know where he is going.

In a city environment like Manhattan, he'd probably travel faster with his acrobatics and "wall crawling" abilities.

As to range, couple of miles at a shot, I think. (Going back to Len's intent, without Chris' pseudo-science layered in.)

ron bailey
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 November 2021 at 8:13am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Thoughts on Magneto's redemption post your exodus? When I was reading it I had mixed feelings, like Jean had to die but Magneto gets reformed? Having said that I believe in redemptive narratives in real life, so go figure.  < id="protanopia"> < id="deuteranopia"> < id="tritanopia">

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 November 2021 at 8:22am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Thanks, JB. A couple of miles -- wow, that's impressive. Manhattan is roughly 13 miles north to south. As long as Kurt had a good line of sight, he could then traverse the island pretty darned quickly... presuming he only wanted to do just that, building top to building top, instead of working through the cityscape.

Just one more question: how many long-distance BAMFS in a row would tire him out? 

I'm asking because it's interesting to me how comicbook creators must even in this world of fantasy have some internal logic operating. Otherwise, Nightcrawler might be BAMFING from New York to Florida, no sweat.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 23 November 2021 at 8:31am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Thoughts on Magneto's redemption post your exodus? When I was reading it I had mixed feelings, like Jean had to die but Magneto gets reformed? Having said that I believe in redemptive narratives in real life, so go figure.

•••

Question of scale. A mass murderer like Magneto really shouldn’t get off with an “Oops, my bad!” no matter how “cool” everyone has decided he is.

If he wants to be redeemed, let’s start with him going to prison for a few hundred years!

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 23 November 2021 at 8:34am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Just one more question: how many long-distance BAMFS in a row would tire him out?

•••

In ELSEWHEN I had him take fifty jumps to get from Manhattan to the mansion (what was left of it), and that left him pretty tuckered out!

<< Prev Page of 46 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version