Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 September 2021 at 11:51am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I'll put a link on my Facebook page. 
Back to Top profile | search

Tony Moretti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 September 2021 at 12:52pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

JB, I recall you mentioning on an earlier issue that it took you a minute to "find" your Peter. Looks like you found your Heather right away. Even without context could immediately tell who it was. Are there other characters you feel you're still "finding"?

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 24 September 2021 at 1:29pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Nightcrawler!

Working on the series in the Seventies (choke!) I quickly developed my own approach to the distinctive shadowing on his face, and that has mostly served me well enough ever since. But starting on ELSEWHEN, and since, I find my rendering “at war” with Dave’s own slightly different version.

Steve Coates
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 September 2021 at 2:21pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I somehow missed yesterday's page, so got a double dose today. I kind of liked it. I got more kick from two pages, there was more immediacy to get to the next page, so much, I had to scroll back and take a longer second look and read. I might try going longer without, on second thought doing so might cause me to go into shock.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Jean Sterling Ajouissance
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 September 2021 at 4:24pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

@JB ---

man... back in one of the earlier episodes of Elsewhen, you depicted Nightcrawler in a highly stylized, Cockrum-esque fashion.  I think it was when Kitty fell out of the Blackbird, and Kurt jumped outside to try to nab her.

The picture was brilliant.  It was as much of an homage as any artist would ever want to receive and/or appreciate.  But the trick is --  it wasn't your Nightcrawler.   I know that was the whole point, but just follow me for a moment here, please.

Don't misconstrue this as a complaint, because it absolutely, 100% is not.  It was a brilliant rendering, flat-out.

But over the years you've placed your signature style on so many great characters, and though we all geek out over your Adams-esque, Kirby-esque, or Cockrum-esque renderings...  it's the Byrne-esque money shots that keep us revved.

Remove the flattery from this, please, and just take it as a critical/clinical exchange if possible.  Not fanboying here.  Just comic-medium art-appreciating.

You granulate the Thing's rocks in a way that adds dimension and weight to the art.  Likewise, you add a fibrous texture to Doom's cape that I haven't seen any other artist capture to even a moderate degree.

Heather's nose.  The cross hatching/partial shading of Cyclops' old school supersized visor.  The Torch's coming-yet-going flames while he's in flight.  The furry down of Angel's wings. Galactus' cubed eyeballs.   All of those 'unnoticeable' little tweaks that might go over a Liefeld fan's head, if you follow.

But the point is ---  hearing you say that you're not-quite at peace with your Nightcrawler shadow/shading (in relation to Cockrum's) is one of the most interesting things I've read on this forum.

He's got this Rorschachian ebb & flow with his facial shadows that you blend very well, at least from the layman's eye.  Again: not fanboying, just appreciating.

To top it off, you went on ahead and added yet another Byrne-esque tweak with his fur  ---  because for years I've read that he was supposedly covered head to toe in indigo fur, but I'd never actually seen it until this series.

To summarize:  

If you're finding yourself at war with 'finding' the correct feel for Kurt in relation to Dave Cockrum's version... well...  if it matters at all, please just stick with your version and keep doing what you're doing, cuz what you're doing isn't broken.  

John Goodman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 September 2021 at 5:46pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

So, I think I may have asked this before, but, why is ELSEWHEN not considered a webcomic?

=======================

In my experience, most webcomics tend to take the form of traditional comic STRIPS rather than monthly comic BOOKS. So, because "ELSEWHEN" follows the format of a traditional comic book — albeit one installment a day, similar to many webcomics — I suspect the average webcomic fan may not view it as a webcomic. (That is, if they even know of its existence.)

ron bailey
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 September 2021 at 5:49pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

What's your social media strategy to promote it? Speak to your web admin guy/gal about it.   < id="protanopia"> < id="deuteranopia"> < id="tritanopia">

Joe Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 September 2021 at 7:15pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I don’t want the Mouse to try and regulate it, so, I’m wary to spread the
news too wide.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Mark McKay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 September 2021 at 9:35pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

So, I think I may have asked this before, but, why is ELSEWHEN not considered a webcomic?

—-

I would say because it’s fan fic?

A webcomic would be considered a published comic, to me. This is not exactly that.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Northey
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 September 2021 at 11:08pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I love that JB is still at war with himself over Nightcrawler - trying to be true to the original version by Cockrum while also being true to his own art.  Too often you see artists say 'screw it this is how I want to do it'.  The extra time and effort makes stuff like this series so much better.  Sometimes I'm sure it limits story possibilities (would never do a Morrison type Doom Patrol for example) but that might be a good thing - stay within the rules the characters have rather than just saying 'screw it'.

Wolverine is a great example - well established his bones are pure admantanium and hinted before Days of Future Past that the claws were mechanical and established there that they are beyond any doubt - IIRC this was confirmed a year later in #150 when Cockrum/Claremont had Wolverine use his claws while Magneto had a device making all mutant powers inactive except his own.  The brain damage here fits perfectly with Logan's lost memories in the past as having metal replace your bones would be almost as bad as what Phoenix did to him, except he didn't have people like Prof X and Shaman around to help then.  Sad that 'fanfic' is more accurate with history than the 'real' comics are.

As to promotion, I know I mention it in various Facebook groups (Old Guys who like Old Comics for example) whenever Byrne comes up or old X-Men stories do.  This is just so much better than so much else out there.  For example, I recently made the mistake of trying to read a new Excalibur issue - Doom spent pages walking through a building just talking with a female Captain Britain.  No point to it beyond them talking about nothing it seemed so I just sat it back down even though I could've finished it - just seemed like a waste of time.  If a writer wants a text page, do it (ala Dave Sim for example), if they want to write a novel, do that.  Don't waste multiple pages for walking/talking unless there is something else in the background to hold interest.

Today's page really showed what a good storyteller can do - one panel has Mac protecting Heather, while shooting one of the creatures, and Jahf fighting in the background while describing the size of the space they are in and how Heather feels about it all.  Shaman asks Xavier about the point of origin and is there the next panel, no page or two of flight and fight.  We can all imagine it.  Wolverine snapping also well shown in one panel this page with the full rage visible while Kitty still getting shocked by it and wanting to puke but said much nicer.  4 panels, 7 characters stories moved along to some degree and the story keeps going.  Much like the early Marvels where you'd get a full story every issue.  Not at all like that horrid comic I tried to read.  

Pure art ala the full page spreads some do isn't comic book storytelling, pure text isn't either.  This is.  Each working together to make a story and characters move forward and make me feel like I'm not wasting my time reading it.  Phew.  Too many thoughts.
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 25 September 2021 at 5:11am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I’ll just mention that I’m not concerned about “promoting” ELSEWHEN. Just curious as to why it would not be considered a webcomic.

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 September 2021 at 5:30am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

For a second or two I wondered how Shaman reached the demon well so quickly, but then remembered... MAGIC!
Back to Top profile | search | www

<< Prev Page of 48 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version