Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Fan Fic
Byrne Robotics > Fan Fic << Prev Page of 53 Next >>
Topic: X-MEN.ELSEWHEN.21--Comments Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 April 2021 at 6:44am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Absolutely love this page-- Cyclops is tougher than some think, and his move takes out (at least here and now) the other side's best weapon. With Wanda down, that leaves alt-Quicksilver and alt-Cyclops versus Cyclops, Storm, Jean, Bobby and Angel... is that right?
Back to Top profile | search

Steven Queen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 April 2021 at 7:09am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I do really like Storm's new look. Very sleek. I like how you chose to shade/highlight it too.

Also that final panel with the two Cyclops(es) is amazing. A bit of color is creeping in to awesome effect! An instant classic burned into our brains.

Love it all.

EDIT:  And Iceman looks great in that top panel too!

Edited by Steven Queen on 27 April 2021 at 7:15am

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 27 April 2021 at 7:35am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Again, it’s not my intention that this become Ororo’s permanent costume. Something I’m playing with only, for now.

In fact, I’d begun to wonder if I might follow the lead of the comics, and give her a white costume, tho I soon realized the effect would be lost without color.

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 April 2021 at 7:47am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

QUOTE:
Cyclops vs. Cyclops! The red effect is great

I recall someone (JB?) mentioning that if Cyclops' beam had been blue instead of red, it would be less likely for people to mistake his concussive blasts as heat rays. (This was followed by a claim that some might think it was a freeze ray though.)
Back to Top profile | search | www

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 April 2021 at 7:49am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I like Ororo's black and yellow (gold?) color scheme, but am sure she'll look great in any color.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 April 2021 at 7:52am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

"EDIT:  And Iceman looks great in that top panel too!"

--

I agree. There's a subtle bit of maturity in his body language that he didn't have in HIDDEN YEARS.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 27 April 2021 at 7:56am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I recall someone (JB?) mentioning that if Cyclops' beam had been blue instead of red, it would be less likely for people to mistake his concussive blasts as heat rays. (This was followed by a claim that some might think it was a freeze ray though.)

•••

I’ve grumbled for years about fans and pros alike who seem unable to accept even the simplest comicbook tropes. Blue highlight on black, for instance. Storm’s costume is one such, with people insisting the highlights were the actual color.

And, yes, decades now of people interpreting Cyclops’ eyebeams as heat rays. Legend has it that Kirby wanted the beams to be blue, specifically to avoid this problem but, as noted, experience has taught that would almost certainly have led to some playing it as a freeze ray.

sigh

Jeffrey Rice
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 April 2021 at 8:26am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

During your FF run, I loved how The Thing figured out the "X-Men" he was facing were not what they seemed because Cyclops' blast was hot. 

Teaching while entertaining is possible!

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 April 2021 at 8:36am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I wonder if anyone ever thought of just leaving Cyclops' optic blast as white, instead of adding a color.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 27 April 2021 at 8:38am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I wonder if anyone ever thought of just leaving Cyclops' optic blast as white, instead of adding a color.

•••

Many would still read that as cold.

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 April 2021 at 8:38am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Since Cyclops’ eye beams are force and not heat, can we assume a fair amount of friction caused heat when the eye beams collide? Most likely, but even that would confuse some and cause citing this latest page as “proof his beams are hot”.

Lovely page today!

Steven Queen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 April 2021 at 8:40am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I bit off topic, I apologize, but this does hearken back to something JB mentioned with regards to Colletta's inks on Kirby.

Comic Tropes has done a few nice "quasi-balanced" videos on some historical comics topics. For instance, I enjoyed the ones he did on Steve Ditko and Dave Sims.

There are also two on the X-men---I watched the one about the "worse runs", and meh. I seriously can't connect with any of the post-Byrne X-men issues and massive proliferation of titles.

Here's a link to "Vince Colletta: The Inker Who Ruined Jack Kirby's Art"

This does lead to an actual question of mine.

@JB: Do you use a brush in addition to a nib to ink? I was under the impression that crows-quills/nibs did provide variable line-widths via pressure (and nib size). I thought brushes were mostly used just for painting in solid areas. The author of the video seems to be claiming that brushes are more fundamental than that---essential for nuanced work.

FYI: Comic Tropes also has a video on Jim Shooter, but I haven't watched it yet. Saving it for a rainy day. Also, thanks to JB, I now sometimes catch myself thinking "whim of iron" at odd times. :)

Edited by Steven Queen on 27 April 2021 at 9:42am

<< Prev Page of 53 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version