Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Fan Fic
Byrne Robotics > Fan Fic << Prev Page of 53 Next >>
Topic: X-MEN.ELSEWHEN.21--Comments Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 April 2021 at 8:02pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I'm having flashbacks of an old Sugar & Spike comic now. GRZBLCH... :^)
Back to Top profile | search | www

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 April 2021 at 11:58pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

JB: "...Marvel had their chance—twice!

Sit back and enjoy!..."

I get that many fans want a physical copy of the book to have, Humans tend to lean towards tactile sensations as being more "real", but really... I think what we fans have here is AWESOME, and frankly better than it would have been had Marvel published the series. I mean, it's pure Byrne, with no editorial nonsense or games, and it's FREE!!! 

Had there been some way Marvel could have worked with JB, I have no doubt somebody at the company would have had to mess with things, causing a situation where I doubt we'd get as many issues of the series as we are in this manner. I base this on past circumstances. It just seems inevitable that something would have happened to screw up the fun.

So... This is great, and I am definitely enjoying the ride. Top-notch art and fun stories by my favorite comic book creator! What's not to love? Once again, thanks for doing this, JB, and for sharing it with us fans. It is appreciated!

Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 26 April 2021 at 6:36am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Had there been some way Marvel could have worked with JB, I have no doubt somebody at the company would have had to mess with things, causing a situation where I doubt we'd get as many issues of the series as we are in this manner. I base this on past circumstances. It just seems inevitable that something would have happened to screw up the fun.

••

We know there would have been outrage from hardcore X-Fans, those who simply refused to "get it". And that's without even considering the grumblings that found their way into the Marvel offices at the first suggestion they might publish this. I am the Great Satan, after all.

And then there would have been various editorial departments who insisted their characters be handled "properly". (If Mark Gruenwald was still alive and at Marvel, you can be sure he would have wanted a clear definition of just which "parallel universe" this series was based in.)

Etc

Back to Top profile | search

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 April 2021 at 6:56am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Matt H., it seems that quite a few editors don't like a story AT ALL, no matter when or from whom, until they pee in the soup to improve the flavor. Not every editor, but I feel that it happened (happens) a lot - "I have to participate in the creative process! I'm the editor!"

As for today's  piece... there has never been a question to me that Pietro had meanness/downright evil in him. That's what made a lot of his appearances so special; it seems that he fought and suppressed an evil nature for a long time (before some rocket surgeon decided to make him truly evil. Maybe more editor pee.)

Like father, like son. Or sonister. Beautiful. And here comes the cavalry!

Jason Ladwig
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 April 2021 at 7:02am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

We know there would have been outrage from hardcore X-Fans, those who simply refused to "get it". And that's without even considering the grumblings that found their way into the Marvel offices at the first suggestion they might publish this. I am the Great Satan, after all.
==================

Pick up a copy of the X-force title that came out last week. As a non-artist, even I could stand a chance at better art!  Total trash. Marvel continues to pump out anything and just stick an "X-" on it. ( of course I'm the idiot that keeps buying it hoping the next one finally turns the tide...)

So if you're the Great Satan, I'm Mr Crowley and I'm blaring some Ozzy/Sabbath

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 26 April 2021 at 7:07am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I'm the idiot that keeps buying it hoping the next one finally turns the tide...

••

Not sure how "voting" for what they are doing is going to convince them to do something different.

Jonathan Kaye
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 April 2021 at 7:12am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I am the Great Satan, after all.

No, the real Satan would have dropped not-too-subtle hints about his true identity – like a last name that sounds like – oh wait – oh no 

Steven Queen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 April 2021 at 7:18am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Today's page alone is worth the price of admission (if there was one). Imagine how many minds would have been blown seeing this one scene completely out of context!

With respect to industry change, it'll takes one of two things:
(a) total collapse, as the bottom falls out
(b) a true visionary at the helm

Fortunately, we have the latter here.

Thank you again Mr. Byrne.

Brennan Voboril
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 April 2021 at 7:21am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

My dream would be an IDW Artist Edition of this series - that way it is printed as is, at full size, in all its artistic glory, without any interference from Marvel.  

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 April 2021 at 7:23am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I get the feeling that alt-Quicksilver would really like to take out his dislike of alt-Cyclops on our guy...
Those two NEVER got along, did they?
Good to see a "bolt from the blue" intervention!

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 April 2021 at 7:43am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Brennan Voboril wrote:
My dream would be an IDW Artist Edition of this series.

My fingers have been crossed for two years. =)

Nice to see Storm in that makeshift "costume" for page 17. I'm excited to see how this battle shapes up.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 26 April 2021 at 7:49am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

My dream would be an IDW Artist Edition of this series - that way it is printed as is, at full size, in all its artistic glory, without any interference from Marvel.

•••

IDW approached Marvel about this, and the response was if it’s going to happen, Marvel will handle it.

Which means it’s not going to happen.

Be content with what you’re getting, guys!

<< Prev Page of 53 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version