Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Fan Fic
Byrne Robotics > Fan Fic << Prev Page of 53 Next >>
Topic: X-MEN.ELSEWHEN.21--Comments Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 April 2021 at 10:15am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Maybe he was annoyed by B'nee and C'cll. Can't imagine why, but some people don't need a reason.

And I'm still giggling about Kalark. Bravo!
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 23 April 2021 at 10:21am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Not mine.

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 April 2021 at 10:26am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Can't wait to see what happens with Wolverine/Logan and Sprite/Kitty!

I think they've made it so nobody, even a total Marvel encyclopedia of fictional history, could write a Marvel comic without a sizeable chunk of no-prize seekers looking for something to 'aha' or 'what about' about. Just to be able to start a writer probably has to go back and correct things to clear the field enough? Back in the early '70s when the only X-Men comic was all reprints they probably rightly figured at least 80% of readers would see those comics as being 'now', and other than those costumes it mostly would've worked out I expect. I came in a bit later with all those late '70s reprint comics, but I knew they were older happenings because there was always the 'originally published as' thing on page one from Danny Fingeroth, plus I was buying the current titles of Hulk, Spider-Man, Fantastic Four, Avengers and X-Men. But oddly enough it was a reprint of a Not Brand Ecch in the form of a 'free' insert of the early '70s Crazy #1 color comic that got me introduced to the '60s Marvel... it made fun of the late '60s Avengers and X-Men so I saw the old costumes and versions of characters there first and got curious about them.

I think like any art, you have to bring something to it to get the most out of it; it's up to each reader to fill in any blanks... and I bet you if there were no blanks or conflicting info they would find they had a lot less interest! I think mentally 'correcting' Doctor Who and Star Trek to suit myself is what made them as appealing as they were as much as the basic situations and characters. So in a way less can be more. Although a writer who keeps track of all their own precedents, and major ones before them, is also needed.

The people wanting backgrounds in every panel are kind of the same as those who want everything explained and worked out for them, but I could also equate that to people who want sound in video to be whisper quiet and explosion loud to be realistic... I much prefer unrealistic sound which I can actually hear what's said and not bother anyone else around with sudden loud bursts. The Legion Of Super-Heroes comics being awful at times is incontestable, but if the basic concept and enough characters appeal to you then you can invest it with your own rose-colored glasses and get excited by how it could be. Yeah they turned on each other at the drop of a hat, and usually that was shown as necessary for some ruse there wasn't time to explain to the 'victims' of it, but look at all those costumes and powers... and a club house... neat! Luckily they did get upgrades along the way and the old 'planetary chance machine' deciding who went on a mission was locked up in a closet for the most part (until Keith Giffen picked the lock). :^)

The X-Men got upgrades too, up to Steranko and Adams art, but also new characters Polaris and Havok. The basic concept of mutants set apart from humans, with Professor X and his normal seeming mansion as the opening stage, will never get tired in the right hands, or readers minds.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Larry Gil
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 April 2021 at 12:36pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

JB and this series is my last link to the old Marvel that I grew up with.
Solid storytelling and of course sensational art .

I am really enjoying all of this. Thanks JB.

Dean Munday
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 April 2021 at 3:40pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

And there was me, all misguidedly thinking I'd gotten away with the stress of a weekend-spanning cliff-hanger! Darn it! ;-)

Edited by Dean Munday on 23 April 2021 at 3:40pm

Jean Sterling Ajouissance
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 April 2021 at 4:38pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

@Larry Gil

Ditto to your sentiments.   

I was fairly peeved when The Hidden Years were pulled  --  and my understanding of the "reasoning" behind it was that they (some editorial person or persons) thought that there were too many X-titles floating about.  Never mind the glut of redundant, overplayed 'other'-titles that were in publication at the time  --   they chose to nix one of the most loyal-to-the-craft books in print.  Didn't make any sense.

I believe that there was also some kind of guff about the other *hot* artists du jour and their peculiar speed-line-y style being all the rage, and perhaps there was some sort of editorial urge to grasp for the low hanging fruit.

Either way.  After Hidden Years and Marvel: The Lost Generation ended, I just wasn't much interested in anything Marvel had to offer.

(Not to slam Marvel.  They did have the occasional gem slip through the cracks, albeit rarely.)

Edited by Jean Sterling Ajouissance on 23 April 2021 at 4:41pm

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 April 2021 at 5:47pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Between XHY, his original time on the title, and now Elsewhen -- JB has established a pretty incredible foothold among the X-Men's many celebrated creators.

Each great Marvel title has a unique relationship with the pool of industry talent that has touched them over their various runs.

Lee/Kirby and Thomas/Adams cast what seem like insurmountable shadows over the X-Men, but JB's relationship to the team is notable and unique.

Elsewhen is really more than just some new issues of a comic book. I don't think the overall impact of it will be completely understood for a long time. But one aspect of it is that it adds to the uniqueness of X-Men comics.

Philippe Negrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 April 2021 at 4:17am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I still think it totally crazy that this is not offically out.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 24 April 2021 at 4:37am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I still think it totally crazy that this is not offically out.

••

Marvel had their chance—twice!

Sit back and enjoy!

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 24 April 2021 at 5:21am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I was fairly peeved when The Hidden Years were pulled -- and my understanding of the "reasoning" behind it was that they (some editorial person or persons) thought that there were too many X-titles floating about.

••

That was one of the lies, yes.

Steven Queen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 April 2021 at 6:24am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Sorry if I am asking you (JB) to repeat yourself, but what do you believe was the real reason XMHY was cancelled?

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 24 April 2021 at 6:25am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Office politics.

<< Prev Page of 53 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version