Fan Fic
Byrne Robotics > Fan Fic << Prev Page of 53 Next >>
Topic: X-MEN.ELSEWHEN.21--Comments Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 April 2021 at 3:20pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

"Very much liking having Jahf around so much."

--

I hope he's got a few more POW!s in him.
Back to Top profile | search

Jean Sterling Ajouissance
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 April 2021 at 3:50pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

@JB  --   

During XMTHY, Professor X was depicted as being just a little bit crankier-than-usual with his students.  He was caustic, somewhat abrasive, and carried on as if something was 'wrong' with him.

I'm sorry that you never got to finish that intriguing sub-plot... and my apologies if you've addressed this issue before.  

I'm trying to be delicate and not formulate this question in a way that leads to speculation...  but, umm...

Have you ever openly discussed what was vexing the Professor in those days?   (Hoping that that was a safe way to ask, and not trying to spoil anything if it ties into what he's going through right now.)

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 April 2021 at 4:34pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

In the context of ELSEWHEN, let’s just say something else is going on.
Fair enough. I echo the sentiment that Jahf is a welcome presence... have always liked him.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Steven Queen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 April 2021 at 5:21am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Beautiful pages! The silhouettes are gorgeous against that backdrop.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 April 2021 at 5:21am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

The grey effect with all the air bubbles is too cool for school. Then
those silhouettes in that first panel. It’s like being there!

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 23 April 2021 at 5:26am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

During XMTHY, Professor X was depicted as being just a little bit crankier-than-usual with his students. He was caustic, somewhat abrasive, and carried on as if something was 'wrong' with him.

••

My idea there was that X was not fully recovered from his mental battle with the Xnoxx. He was sliding around in time in his own head, so sometimes he was in the present, sometimes in the past. Note his comment when he encounters Jean in a variant of her original school uniform.

This was my way of setting up an in context explanation for the X-Men sometimes appearing in their old uniforms while their book was in reprint limbo. They had adopted the old suits as a way to ease X back into his proper state of mind.

(The real world reason was that the X-Men were in their school uniforms in the reprints, and Marvel editorial felt it would be confusing to readers if the characters also turned up in other costumes in other titles. Not an altogether invalid concern, since many readers demonstrated that they did not understand titles like X-MEN, MARVEL TALES and MARVEL'S GREATEST COMICS were reprints.)

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 23 April 2021 at 5:33am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Sub-note: At one point in the late Seventies there was a brief flirtation with creating something like a union for comicbook writers and artists. "It would be great!" said one writer. "We'd be able to STRIKE!"*

I pointed out that the reprint titles were selling just as well as the regular books and, as noted, many readers did not even realize those books were reprints. Since Marvel had literally decades worth of reprint material to draw on (no pun!) strikes did not seem like a very good idea.

The idea died away swiftly enough, anyway.

* Around this same time, one writer declared his intention to produce deliberately inferior work, until Marvel started paying him what he thought he was worth. "The fans will support me!" he said.

Mark McKay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 April 2021 at 5:39am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

JB, are the bubbles on today’s page done in Photoshop? 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 23 April 2021 at 5:41am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

JB, are the bubbles on today’s page done in Photoshop?

••

Yup. And the black areas are filled in with the clone tool.

The actual page is practically blank!

James Johnson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 April 2021 at 5:42am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

...that the reprint titles were selling just as well as the regular books and, as noted, many readers did not even realize those books were reprints.....

======================================================

Count me as one of those fans that was confused the first time I purchased one those reprints.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 23 April 2021 at 5:43am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

"...The original plan for adamantium did not make sense because Wolverine's bone structure would not be maintained if they were literally removed and replaced with pieces of adamantium metal. However, people also began to note over the years that even coating his bones in adamantium would be too much, as bones need to get oxygen to work; if they are coated in metal, they would not be receiving oxygen, and that would be very bad, even for a guy like Wolverine.

"Thus, a few different facts were revealed in subsequent issues during Larry Hama's run on Wolverine. Hama famously doesn't plot that much of his stories out ahead of time, so someone must have just told him about this issue before he started writing Wolverine. Rather than coating the skeleton with adamantium, the adamantium was revealed to have bonded with the bones to form a new sort of substance that was different than just metal-covered bone. Secondly, this new substance was revealed to be a new form of adamantium, known as beta adamantium. Beta adamantium allowed for bones to breathe like they would in nature while still having the other properties of adamantium, such as the practically indestructible nature of the metal. Pretty neat fix, huh?..."

••

Reads like Shooter on acid.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 23 April 2021 at 5:46am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Count me as one of those fans that was confused the first time I purchased one those reprints.

••

We actually received one letter* from a fan who wanted us to do a book about the ANAD X-Men in the style of CLASSIC X-MEN. The writer did not realize CXM was a reprint book.

* In those days Shooter maintained that each letter "represented" 16,000 readers who had the same ideas but didn't write in.

<< Prev Page of 53 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version