Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Fan Fic
Byrne Robotics > Fan Fic << Prev Page of 53 Next >>
Topic: X-MEN.ELSEWHEN.21--Comments Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 April 2021 at 8:15am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

JB: One of my smaller contributions to character, albeit thru interviews, back in the day, not in the actual books.

What a contribution it was. And it adds to the character, knowing that this power comes at a price. Thank you for sharing.

Edited by Andrew Bitner on 22 April 2021 at 8:16am
Back to Top profile | search

Steven Queen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 April 2021 at 8:49am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

JB wrote:

...there are plenty of folk at Marvel who would take any opportunity to use the published books to undercut my work here.

Simple jealousy.

Paul Wills
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 April 2021 at 9:47am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

You certainly have a good grasp of depicting Sci-Fi. To me, it feels like a throwback to the old 'feel' of Sci-Fi -  Star Trek, Forbidden Planet, Lost in Space... In other words, the golden era style.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 22 April 2021 at 10:32am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Chasing the soft/organic feel of Dave’s Shi’ar technology.

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 April 2021 at 10:36am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Gladiator has given his orders. Kitty is on her own to maintain through the process of disentanglement.

I guess we are about to find out what Kitty's made of.

...so to speak.

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 April 2021 at 12:14pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

From his first appearance you made Jahf a bad-ass basically impervious to various X-Men assaults (like Scott's optic blasts and Phoenix futilely trying to crush him with a huge boulder) so at first I was quite surprised at the ease with which Magneto brushes off Jahf. But then I recalled... Jahf is a cyborg. Presumably plenty of metal to work with there.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 22 April 2021 at 12:44pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

MY Jahf isn’t a cyborg. That was perhaps the very first instsnce—at least in X-MEN—of Chris scripting a character I’d created without consulting me.

In the context of ELSEWHEN, let’s just say something else is going on.

John Northey
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 April 2021 at 12:57pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

That is something I love about JB's work - respect for those who went before - trying to keep Dave's style for the ships he created, keeping Magneto and others as much like their original selves as possible.  If new elements added, they have to be sub-servient to what was there before.  Minimal contractions.  If all writers followed that then DC wouldn't be in Crisis #4,123 now (slight exaggeration, but not by much)

FYI: checking something else I noticed in X-Men #150, roughly a year after JB left the title, Wolverine was in a place where mutant powers were turned off and he used his claws with Scott mentioning how his claws were not part of his mutant abilities.  IE: even post-Byrne they were mechanical until someone decided bone claws would be cool. 
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 22 April 2021 at 1:03pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

…until someone decided bone claws would be cool.

••

In a nutshell, everything that went wrong with the X-Men, and Marvel as a whole. The phrase "wouldn't it be cool if. . . " took center stage, and the ever important follow up "But then what?" was forgotten.

(Some writers, tho, do not seem to ask "wouldn't it be cool" as much as "what can I break?")

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 April 2021 at 1:27pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

About the bone claws...

I remember the reveal he had those happening after the story where Magneto ripped the adamantium from Wolverines bones in the 1990s. I also remember Peter David said he was jokingly asking why Magneto hadn't just ripped the metal from Wolverine's bones during a X-staff meeting, and being surprised when the others at the meeting were excited with the idea. This storyline also led to the horrible "no nose"/more savage monster version of Wolverine, as apparently it was the adamantium that kept Wolverine from mutating further than he had.

Oh, and I found this other info online:

"...The original plan for adamantium did not make sense because Wolverine's bone structure would not be maintained if they were literally removed and replaced with pieces of adamantium metal. However, people also began to note over the years that even coating his bones in adamantium would be too much, as bones need to get oxygen to work; if they are coated in metal, they would not be receiving oxygen, and that would be very bad, even for a guy like Wolverine.

Thus, a few different facts were revealed in subsequent issues during Larry Hama's run on Wolverine. Hama famously doesn't plot that much of his stories out ahead of time, so someone must have just told him about this issue before he started writing Wolverine. Rather than coating the skeleton with adamantium, the adamantium was revealed to have bonded with the bones to form a new sort of substance that was different than just metal-covered bone. Secondly, this new substance was revealed to be a new form of adamantium, known as beta adamantium. Beta adamantium allowed for bones to breathe like they would in nature while still having the other properties of adamantium, such as the practically indestructible nature of the metal. Pretty neat fix, huh?..."

Um. Okay? Whatever.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Dean Munday
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 April 2021 at 1:47pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Very much liking having Jahf around so much.

Scott Wagahoff
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 April 2021 at 2:21pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I'll echo Dean. His presence in this story has felt extremely natural to me and it almost feels like he's been with the team for awhile now.

<< Prev Page of 53 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version