Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Fan Fic
Byrne Robotics > Fan Fic << Prev Page of 69 Next >>
Topic: X-MEN.ELSEWHEN.19--Comments Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 February 2021 at 1:51pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Looking at this latest page again, I have to comment on the body language of Helmeted Cyclops in that first panel. Love it! There's something really nasty and mocking about the way he's posed.
Back to Top profile | search

Robbie Moubert
Byrne Robotics Member
Evertonian

Posted: 12 February 2021 at 2:02pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

The Beast's transformation occurred in Amazing Adventures #11 where his strip replaced The Inhumans (who had previously shared the book with the Black Widow). As mentioned, he was originally grey but became blue/black a few issues later (in the story it's explicitly stated that his fur has turned from grey to black). Issue 17 featured a reprint of his origin that had appeared as back-up strips in the X-Men and then in issue 18 War of the Worlds/Killraven took over the comic.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Robbie Moubert
Byrne Robotics Member
Evertonian

Posted: 12 February 2021 at 2:03pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Alt-Magneto's costume is also different from "our" version's.

Edited by Robbie Moubert on 12 February 2021 at 2:05pm

Phil Frances
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 February 2021 at 2:32pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Beast became more beastly during Marvel’s horror phase
------------------------------------------------------------ ----------------

Ah ! That's a great bit of added context - thank you ! My earliest Marvels were the early 1970's UK black-and-white reprints, which were fairly haphazard in terms of what order stories appeared in ; the first look I had of the furry Beast was ( I think ) as a head-shot in a 1970-something Marvel calendar that was printed onto the back covers of some of the issues, but there was no explanation for the change. Younger me was only used to the original version of the Beast, but probably went with it as one of the many things I didn't yet know about Marvel, I guess.

That was around the same time as Dracula and Planet of the Apes were getting popular over here, so the change as part of the same horror influence now makes perfect sense.

Some while after, I caught up with the stories where Hank became furry, so found out the fictional reasons for the change - I'd not realised the real-world influences, though.

Who'd have thunk ? Still things to learn, even all these years later ... thanks, Mr Byrne !

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Steven Queen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 February 2021 at 3:07pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Thanks all. A long time mystery (fictional and non-fictional) solved for me! What a nice bunch of folk gather here.

(I suspected JB would have insider's knowledge!)

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 February 2021 at 3:28pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Steven, in the "Amazing Adventures" story, Hank McCoy takes a serum he created while working for the Brand Corporation. The serum was a chemical that caused mutation which he took to disguise himself to stop a villain. He did this without knowing what effect it would have on someone who was already a mutant! He gained greater super strength, and was even bullet-proof! After a few issues, as noted above, his color changed (from grey to black -- and later was colored and referred to as being blue), and his super strength was scaled back, and he was no longer bullet-proof.

Obviously, in the alternate universe, McCoy never left the team and worked for the Brand Corporation, so no grey/black/blue furry Beast.

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 February 2021 at 3:31pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

JB: "...Beast became more beastly during Marvel’s horror phase, mostly (tho not entirely) inspired by the success of THE EXORCIST. This brought us WEREWOLF BY NIGHT, TOMB OF DRACULA, MONSTER OF FRANKENSTEIN, and the black and white books..."

I also noticed the deluge of horror comics at both Marvel and DC, and other publishers, after the Comics Code lightened up its restrictions in the early 1970s.

Mark McKay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 February 2021 at 4:05pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

JB, is Magneto all healed up from his encounter with Wolverine? Seems like there would be a lot of damage there still healing.

Steven Queen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 February 2021 at 4:23pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Reading this for the nth time out of pure pleasure.

I am hesitant to mention this because I so enjoyed the Jean vs. Mean Jean repartee (and I don't want to seem a nit-picky jerk)...

...but how would Mean Jean and the M-men know Jean Grey had not been Dark Phoenix?

Hopefully not an error (the dialog is just way too good!) and JB is just many steps ahead, so that all will be revealed.

Richard Palmgren
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 February 2021 at 4:53pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Now that we're getting knee-deep in brand new characters, do you have colors in mind for their costumes (M-Jean, Archangel, etc?).  I've seen fan-colored versions of the What if cover commission and they use either red for both Jean and Warren or very dark green for Jean and blue for Warren.  I didn't know if you intended everyone on the M-team to be outfitted in red or have some version of their "individualized" costumes from XM 39

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 February 2021 at 5:24pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Hmmm... I wonder why the Mutants were going to take Nightcrawler alive, but kill Cyclops and Miss Marvel.

(I know. I know.)

Michael Hogan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 February 2021 at 6:25pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Maybe because they already have a Scott and a Jean, but they’re low
on Kurts.

<< Prev Page of 69 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version