Topic: X-MEN.ELSEWHEN.19--Comments Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 February 2021 at 7:45am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

This all raises a good point.

Magneto on his own can give groups of heroes a run for
their money. Here, he has a team of X-Men to assist him,
who are, it has to be said, more capable and powerful
than his previous Brotherhood of Evil Mutants.

What if?, being what it is, is allowed to have the
villain win, so bye bye Avengers and FF - in the reality
that he came from.

So in our reality, Magneto and his team will present a
formidable enemy. And I am not going to speculate on
where this goes, regardless of my own thoughts on it. I
just find it interesting to think about what he has
achieved, what he has been used to and what the 'rules'
of What if? and our reality allow.

Liking things so far
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 February 2021 at 7:52am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Today’s page has settled a notion I played with when Mr. Byrne’s concept of a Magneto led X-Men gripped my imagination....and sent me to the drawing table for days.

An ‘evil’ version of Angel would look awesome with black wings.  Trite and obvious?  Yeah.  But still visually I like it.  That last panel settles it for me.

Back to Top profile | search

Larry Gil
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 February 2021 at 7:56am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

This just keeps getting better . Would love to see the back story on the takeout of the Avengers and FF .

Richard Stevens
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 February 2021 at 7:58am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I love how you silhouetted Angel's wings in black in the last panel. Really nice effect! And the black and white makes it a truly bright energy effect.

Angel has never looked better than this page. Elegant and cruel, upper class bully.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Steven Queen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 February 2021 at 8:02am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Mr. Byrne:

I love seeing your Angle---even if he's not "ours". It's more than just the beautifully drawn wings...the whole gesture of his form is wonderful.

I also always enjoyed the theme in your original run of UXM that asserted that the original team functioned more smoothly together than the New X-Men---who were, at the time, more rugged individuals.

Was that a notion yours, or Mr. Claremont's? Either way, it seemed quite original and played well to my nostalgia for the simple chemistry of the first team.

To the story: Cyclops had better be careful ---it's never gone well when he takes on Magneto without the full team.(Should have blindsided Magneto first? You just showed how deadly his optic blast can be...could he take his head off from behind?...not that he should.)

Edited by Steven Queen on 10 February 2021 at 8:07am

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 10 February 2021 at 8:08am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I also always enjoyed the theme in your original run of UXM that asserted that the original team functioned more smoothly together than the New X-Men---who were, at the time, more rugged individuals.

Was that a notion yours, or Mr. Claremont's?

•••

That came from Chris, and it was a source of great frustration that no matter what I drew he would find a way to suggest the “new” X-Men did not function well as a team.

Steven Queen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 February 2021 at 8:14am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Larry Gil wrote:

Would love to see the back story on the takeout of the Avengers and FF .

It does set the imagination racing in a wonderful way!

However, sometimes it's best to leave those tantalizing bits insubstantial. I'm not sure why. More haunting because they are hidden?

...like Gandalf's battle with the Balrog in the depths of Moria. The stuff of legend.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 10 February 2021 at 8:19am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I’m not going to be showing the defeat of the WHAT IF? Avengers, FF, etc. Talk about being pulled away from the main story!

James Johnson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 February 2021 at 8:31am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

JB,

Actually, as much as I would love to see how the heroes fell, I'm fine with that not being depicting.

To me, I'm more drawn to the story of how this team became so ruthless under Alt-Magneto's tutelage.

Edited by James Johnson on 10 February 2021 at 8:31am

Steven Queen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 February 2021 at 8:37am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

JB wrote:

That came from Chris, and it was a source of great frustration that no matter what I drew he would find a way to suggest the “new” X-Men did not function well as a team.

I agree that over time, as my affection for the New X-men grew, it seemed like they were never going to be allowed to overcome that stigma. Most of it was coming from Scott, who was perhaps understandably biased. For me, the turning point was (or should have been) the Proteus saga. I felt like I heard a audible "click" of the pieces coming together there.

(I must add that Proteus was, all told, such a wonderful narrative arc executed so deftly---like ELSEWHEN, a high watermark of comic book craft. Thank you for the profound enjoyment it brought!)

Back to the thematic point: the other side of that coin was that by deriding the new team, it elevated what might seem like a less powerful cast (the originals) to legendary status---and for me that had its emotional upside too.

Thank you for clarifying that.

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 February 2021 at 8:40am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Knowing heroes and teams from the alternate reality were defeated by Magneto and his team of mutants (M-Men?) is definitely enough for me. It lends the current story a gravitas that might not be considered otherwise. Each comic book was essentially siloed, but occasionally crossing over to others, and this point had me ignoring what the alternate reality was like for this Magneto. Knowing they dispatched the Avengers and the FF makes me understand very quickly how ruthless and sneaky Magneto might actually be and the danger they pose for the Elsewhen X-Men. Page 8 strikes me particularly nicely with the various wide angle and close up "lenses" used for the panels. Love the transition from panel 1 to 2.

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 February 2021 at 9:05am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Seems to me like ‘The Brotherhood’ is still the best name for Magneto’s band of mutants, regardless of the line-up.

<< Prev Page of 69 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version