Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Fan Fic
Byrne Robotics > Fan Fic << Prev Page of 46 Next >>
Topic: X-MEN.ELSEWHEN.13--Comments Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 July 2020 at 6:06pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Thanks for the assist. Thought I had totally failed my Art 101 quiz.
Back to Top profile | search

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 July 2020 at 6:13pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

"Wolvie"...?
Back to Top profile | search | www

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 July 2020 at 7:54pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Wow... loving the panels with Kitty and Logan... i've missed this characterization of Wolverine when he loses control and his animal instincts take over. Great reactions by Kitty and Pablo!

-C!

Edited by Charles Valderrama on 23 July 2020 at 7:54pm

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 24 July 2020 at 5:33am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Today's page has an objectified panel border--or what we might otherwise call a "floor".

Richard Stevens
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 July 2020 at 5:41am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I would not want to be a cyborg on Pablo's bad side!

I can't stop thinking about how cruel Wolverine's hot skeleton injuries are. You have to assume his brain keeps healing and cooking in his skull, which is a brutal thing to have to endure. It's probably for the best if Pablo knocked him out for a bit. This is one of those things, like drowning, which no amount of healing factor is going to protect you from. (The correct take on Wolverine, if you ask me!)

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 24 July 2020 at 5:53am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

On the DOCTOR WHO spinoff, TORCHWOOD, there was a character who literally could not die--at least, not permanently. Like Captain Scarlet in his own eponymously yclept series, he would die and immediately come back.

In one episode, the bad guys buried him in cement, knowing he would die and come back, die and come back, die and come back pretty much forever. Nasty.

Wolverine is something like that, except I don't see his healing as instantaneous. There are injuries from which he has to recover more slowly, albeit completely.* If he was trapped in a situation where he literally DIED, I don't think there'd be any coming back from that!

(And no healing instantly when being disintegrated, dammit!!)

* Such as being punched into orbit!

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 July 2020 at 6:07am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Wolverine, He takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'.

Steven Queen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 July 2020 at 6:27am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Hmm. Drowning...I wonder if his healing factor would figure out a way to pull oxygen from the water just to keep vitials going?

Also wonder if his healing factor needs some sort of energy/food source to rebuild cells. Maybe just absorbs cosmic rays.

I know...I know...overthinking!

Also, I keep turning over in my head what JB said about shadows (above). Wally Wood's are/were amazing (I looked him up after JB mentioned him)...but also mostly stark/dramatic. Shadows can be so much softer too---if there are multiple light sources or ambient (reflected) light. JB's characters are often depicted in a bright, well-lit, ambient environment, so the subtly of his shadowing is perfect.

But what an ART to know where and when to apply that touch! Often, during moments of dramatic flashes of light (Jean in the cockpit on page 1 of issue 13, Phoenix-excavation at the bottom of page 8), even those subtle shadows disappear to dramatic effect. Likewise, JB sometimes applies starker shadows like when Jean/Phoenix is hit by Cyclopes' optic blasts on page 4 of issue 13, or when Jahf first appears way back on page 10 of issue 10---a favorite pic of mine!.

I believe that knowledge and deft touch defines the John Byrne style in many ways, just as much as his evocative eyes, attention to detail, and sleek feminine figures. JB himself has made mention of Neil Adam's remarkable photorealism, but in this arena, I think JB has him beat. To my recollection, Adam's (classic) illustrations tend to be more uniform in the rendering of lighting, where as JB's typically shows more dynamic range.

Case and point, think about that iconic image of Wolverine in the sewers from X-Men 132.

It's a great privileged (and one I'd never dreamed possible) not only to see these unaltered pencils of my absolute favorite fictional characters in their prime "done right", but to also converse with the master-artist himself about his creative process is the icing on the cake. I keep having to pinch myself.

That the story also continues in such a compelling and dramatic fashion is truly an overabundance of good fortune.

Many thanks JB!

(Sorry, long post)

Edited by Steven Queen on 24 July 2020 at 6:29am

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 July 2020 at 6:31am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Don't forget to lock the penciled pages thread, JB.

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 July 2020 at 6:37am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

That second panel showing Wolverine being slammed into the wall looks especially painful. It's almost as if his left arm has been wrenched from his body. I agree that being knocked senseless by Pablo may be a welcome relief from the excruciating suffering caused by the Phoenix though.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 24 July 2020 at 7:20am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Don't forget to lock the penciled pages thread, JB.

••

Thought I had! Grrrrrrr!!!!!!!

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 July 2020 at 7:51am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Mr. Byrne...

ITEM: If it is true that you hurt the one you love, you and Logan must have a passionate relationship.

ITEM: Pablo seems rather to have a similar aspect to Firestorm (at least originally) and I don't know if it's intentional or just a neat coincidence. Pablo is only able to manipulate inorganic material. Firestorm was originally unable to affect organic materials with his powers as well (or so Gerry Conway established.) Now, a punch isn't exactly a power... 

ITEM: Regarding Wolverine's power of regeneration... I suppose this is one of those "too old in comics" questions, but if Wolverine suffered brain damage, certainly the brain matter would regenerate - but would his memories?

ITEM: You have noted that Wolverine has a single mutant ability - that of regeneration. Yet, we have seen him using his incredible senses, and a seeming ability to ignore extreme conditions. He's also run for miles at a time without even being winded. Is he just THAT good? And would Puck fall into the same range of human skills? I inferred that he IS, but he's your baby (literally... :)

<< Prev Page of 46 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version