own volition and seems to be enjoying doing RAGNAROK. Does Neal
even want to do more AVENGERS? And with the way he’s been writing
Batman over the last while, I’d as soon not have that happen with
Earth’s Mightiest.
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 21 July 2020 at 7:52am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Hm. This seems like a topic that requires its own thread, rather than gobbling up this one!

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 July 2020 at 8:25am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Great work with Dark Phoenix. And I finally realized something; she's a BULLY. Someone who likes inflicting pain and suffering on (presumably) weaker opponents. Why NOT kill Charles or Logan or Ororo? Because she enjoys their suffering so. Why not kill Jahf? "It's enough that you know I could."

But maybe she couldn't. Whether it's due to Jean fighting the Phoenix, or literal weakness... that could be a fatal flaw.

I'm not trying to prophesy quite so much as appreciate Dark Phoenix' actions and character. I am LOVING this roller coaster ride, and I cannot wait to see her "comeuppance."

Mr. Byrne, you're a damned genius. I so look forward to you sharing with us, and am so grateful you've "scratched that itch" for so long here! Long may you itch!

Um... well, you know what I mean, right?

Dave Kopperman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 July 2020 at 8:29am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Amazing sense of motion in the third panel on today's page - oddly enough, the only one on the page to not feature prominent motion lines.  You really feel the momentum of the debris moving past Jean.  A perfect example of some of that weird alchemy that comics has, particularly in the hands of an experienced master craftsman.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 July 2020 at 8:40am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Speaking of motion lines... Don'tcha just love 'em?!?

Motion lines, panels and gutters, word balloons...

Sure, CGI has been able to translate a lot of amazing things from comic books to both the big and small screen, but given a choice, I still prefer comics!

Dave Kopperman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 July 2020 at 9:18am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Yeah, I'm pretty fascinated by idiomatic things in any art form.  But there's certain visual shorthand that comic readers understand but are confusing to less dedicated readers - I always caution my students to be aware that any idiom or visual representation might have a shelf-life to ultimately make it incomprehensible to even hardcore comic fans in a few years.  I personally get very confused with a lot of manga idiom, of which the weird ritual of translations now being printed right-to-left is a perfect example of how to deliberately alienate potential readers through a particularly insular and illogical application of idiom.

Edited by Dave Kopperman on 21 July 2020 at 9:19am

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 21 July 2020 at 9:35am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Comic fandom in general has become increasingly insular since the rise of the DSM. More and more fans who want the hobby closed off to those not deeply steeped in the lore—of course forgetting there was a time when they were new.

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 July 2020 at 9:39am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I suspect the insularity of fandom partly arises from the "clubhouse" feel of many comic book stores, where folks often gather on Wednesdays to chat about the books and socialize (though in my experience, many of these self-selected groups are welcoming to newcomers) and...

social media. It's easy to make a hate-group online for or against any other group, antagonistic to the new (and newcomers), and aggressively promoting its ringleaders as "keepers of the true faith" or whatever. 

It's ego writ large, using that appreciation of the work of others (much like sports) to exaggerate one's feeling of importance.

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 July 2020 at 9:40am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

But to today's page:
Poor Jahf. It really is a cruel, bully move to tell someone they aren't worth killing.

Dave Kopperman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 July 2020 at 9:42am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

JB wrote:
More and more fans who want the hobby closed off to those not deeply steeped in the lore

True.  In the case of superhero comics fans (of which I'm a big dweeby one), in addition to the trap of idiom we also get absurdly hung up on continuity, which may ultimately be MORE self-defeating and confusing to outside readers than the manga right-to-left reading paradigm.  At least you can train yourself to reverse how you read.  But imagine trying to learn the intricacies of the history of the Legion of Super-Heroes as a basic requirement for enjoying a 20-page story.  I can't deny that I enjoy that little rush when I catch the connection the writer is going for, but I'm definitely part of the problem, there.

Edited by Dave Kopperman on 21 July 2020 at 9:42am

Dave Kopperman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 July 2020 at 9:45am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Andrew Bitner wrote:
I suspect the insularity of fandom partly arises from the "clubhouse" feel of many comic book stores, where folks often gather on Wednesdays to chat about the books and socialize (though in my experience, many of these self-selected groups are welcoming to newcomers) and...

Agree completely.  It's the double-edged sword - without a doubt, the community aspect of comics was a big part of their appeal for me (even if I didn't understand it as such while I was being, for lack of a better term, indoctrinated), and is a big plus overall.  Community is always a good thing.  Community standards, on the other hand, have a habit of becoming arbitrary and nonsensical after a bit.

Edited by Dave Kopperman on 21 July 2020 at 9:46am

Scott Barnett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 July 2020 at 9:49am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Question for JB:

Your original plans for Uncanny had a conflict between Wolverine and Sabretooth brewing.

Any chance Sabretooth might be dropping by? That's another character I'd love to see you tackle again...

<< Prev Page of 46 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version