Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 3
Topic: Question for Mr. Byrne about 1983 output (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 16 August 2011 at 8:19am | IP Logged | 1  

Often, they'd hand in assignments late, claiming that the end result justified the amount of hours spent.

••

Todd McFarlane and his little pals at Image turned that into a mantra.

And, let's face it! What wannabe artist doesn't LOVE to hear some hugely successful superstar saying "You don't have to be professional! You don't have to do the work that's expected of you, when it's expected of you! Look at me! I break all the rules and I make millions!"

When people would approach my table at Con and ask "how do you do it?" my usual patter about discipline and hard work would invariably cause their eyes to glaze over. They didn't want that. They wanted The Trick.

---

Fake Milestone: 73337

Back to Top profile | search

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 16 August 2011 at 10:36am | IP Logged | 2  

That attitude seems to be more prevalent in the arts than just about any other field.  Thousands, perhaps millions, of actors move to Los Angeles based on the very few people who have been discovered on the street or working as a waiter/waitress.  That one example of hitting the big time without doing the work to get there drives people who are generally unprofessional (and many untalented...believe me, I've seen my fair share of LA theatre!) to pick up and move to find a shortcut to success. 

Glenn Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 August 2011 at 1:19pm | IP Logged | 3  

Even for many of those "discovered on the street" stories, the shorthand accound leaves out the part where the artist works like a dog on their craft, mostly with no compensation, when they aren't waiting tables or walking down the street.  They're working on their craft when you don't see it so when that agent or scout notices them, they are ready to step into that audition and showcase what they've been working towards all along. 

In comics it seems to be a variant of going to a con, showing a few pages to an editor and poof!  Within six months I'm drawing Uncanny X-Men or Spider-Man or Batman and making a six-figure income.  As in theatre, music or film I HAVE heard stories from editors of a legendary few who were so talented that it did happen that way for them...but without the craft, drive and work ethic behind their awesome skills they don't last long in a deadline-oriented industry.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 16 August 2011 at 2:51pm | IP Logged | 4  

Keep in mind, too, that comics have a wide slice of fans unlike almost any other human endeavor*. Fans who are absolutely convinced they can do the job at least as well, if not BETTER, than those actually doing it!

--------

* I say "almost", but I honestly can't think of another one!

Gene Best
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 August 2011 at 3:15pm | IP Logged | 5  

I'm reminded of JB once commenting that "creative block is for amateurs".  When you've got a deadline coming at you like a freight train, you've got to silence the inner critic, get down to business and deliver. Over the years, I've had to end relationships with a number of creative folks who didn't get that "on-time" and "on-budget" were givens.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 16 August 2011 at 3:30pm | IP Logged | 6  

I'm reminded of JB once commenting that "creative block is for amateurs".

••

"Writer's block is for amateurs." - Charles Schulz

And who would know better?

Roger A Ott II
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 August 2011 at 6:43pm | IP Logged | 7  

I've honestly never had writer's block.  I always put something down on paper, even if it's terrible, and I'll come back and polish it up later.  Revisions always provide a clarity not available in a first draft.

Or to quote Hemingway, "The first draft of anything is shit."
Back to Top profile | search | www

Tony Midyett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 August 2011 at 8:19pm | IP Logged | 8  

Or to quote Hemingway, "The first draft of anything is shit."

------------------------------------------------------------ --------------------

That makes sense, but it makes me wonder if someone, somewhere ever managed to write a novel, or at the very least, a short story, with virtually no revisions.  I've read that Mozart composed music with virtually no revisions...

Michael Hogan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 August 2011 at 12:51pm | IP Logged | 9  

Tony,

It's been said that for the majority of the 74 novels and novellas that Rex Stout wrote between 1934 and 1975, he wrote them longhand, in one draft that he send to his editor/publisher.

(It was later learned that he revisited three of the stories, changing significant points -- almost making a new story with the same characters. But the "final versions" of the rest came from "first drafts.")

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

F. Ron Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 August 2011 at 1:26pm | IP Logged | 10  

Wouldn't the edited version of a first draft be considered a second draft?
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Tony Loyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 August 2011 at 8:50pm | IP Logged | 11  

I was still WORKING.--- JB

Keep in mind, too, that comics have a wide slice of fans unlike almost any other human endeavor*. Fans who are absolutely convinced they can do the job at least as well, if not BETTER, than those actually doing it!---JB

I think part of the problem is that many people don't think that what artists, broadcasters, actors and many others in the creative arts do is real work.  They think because they know football that they can broadcast as well as Al Michaels.  They think since they can come up with comic book stories that they can write like JB.   That is until they man up and try it and realize that they don't have the talent or work ethic.

They would never think this of a doctor, lawyer or scientist.

It doesn't help when many creative outlets are filled with hacks. Still, most of those hacks are better than their critics who say they can do it better.  

Edited by Tony Loyd on 17 August 2011 at 8:50pm

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

<< Prev Page of 3
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version