Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 3 Next >>
Topic: Question for Mr. Byrne about 1983 output (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 August 2011 at 10:07am | IP Logged | 1  

I work 6-2 in my job and find that `working` those hours in my home life gets jobs done much quicker and faster.I once painted the interior woodwork doors frames etc by getting up at 5am and cracking on,i was done for 3pm.If i go on holiday i get up early and am on the road for 6am,the bonus is little traffic and i get an extra day at my destination! It works the same coming home,my wife and dog sleep through the journey home and we get the day to wash dirty laundry and get shopping rather than be stuck in traffic jams on motorway.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Michael Todd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 August 2011 at 11:38am | IP Logged | 2  

Since I sold my business and retired, I only leave my house once a week to buy groceries, other than that I just read, sleep, mess around on the computer or watch TV.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Steven Myers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 August 2011 at 1:01pm | IP Logged | 3  

JB, what's the most # of pages you ever produced in a day with full pencils?

How many could you produce today if you had to?

Mark Waldman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 August 2011 at 4:01pm | IP Logged | 4  

Good thread. JB, your output during this period, and today, is quite amazing. That you also find time to do such well done commission pieces is amazing. Today's artists should take note of your high level of professionalism and excellence.
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 13 August 2011 at 6:30pm | IP Logged | 5  

Good thread. JB, your output during this period, and today, is quite amazing. That you also find time to do such well done commission pieces is amazing. Today's artists should take note of your high level of professionalism and excellence.

••

It's not really all that amazing, I promise you! Sure, I am FAST. That has a lot to do with how I accidentally trained myself to draw, as a kid, when I didn't know about drawing in pencil first, so did all my drawings straight with a pen. That meant every line had to be the right one, of the drawing had to be started over. Since I learned how to pencil, that training has carried over. Most of the time, the first line is still the one I want.

But more than that, it's all about proper allocation of time. Start at the same time every day. Finish at the same time every day. Avoid distractions. Or, if you can't, try to contain those distractions. Like I do with the internet. You can usually do a pretty good approximation of my day by looking at when I post here. You can spot the "gaps" between the pages.

A lot depends on being realistic, of course. Some artists fall into the trap of doing an exceptional number of pages on one day (I did six, pencils and inks, once) and plotting their production schedule based on that day. Of course, they fail, and become discourage.

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 14 August 2011 at 9:54am | IP Logged | 6  

Getting into the groove of a regular schedule has always been my secret weapon in my different jobs.  It's important to work hard, but a regular schedule with some relief at the end of the day provides the balance that keeps me fresh and makes me productive.

Before following this forum, I didn't know how artists worked, but I assumed it was different than us Joe Lunchpails.  It's good to hear my favorite artist has a regular workday with deadlines! 

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 14 August 2011 at 10:15am | IP Logged | 7  

It's good to hear my favorite artist has a regular workday with deadlines!

••

Mind you, it was a lesson learned the hard way! When I first got into comics, I looked upon it as the ultimate hobby-with-money. But it only took a couple of 3am-to-hit-a-deadline shifts to teach me to treat it like a JOB.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 August 2011 at 11:21am | IP Logged | 8  

But the difference is that you DID pull those allnighters to actually MEET the dealine. Nowadays, they just say "fuck it" and the editor just says "fuck it" and then the deadline is either ignored or totally done away with.

Glenn Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 August 2011 at 2:54pm | IP Logged | 9  

JB wrote:
I had to impress on people that the fact that there was no door did not mean a literal "open door" policy, and that when I was sitting gazing off into space, or staring out the window, that was NOT a good time to ask me to mow the lawn or take out the garbage. I was still WORKING.

Love this statement.  It's not just me.  ;-)

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

F. Ron Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 August 2011 at 6:18pm | IP Logged | 10  

From yesterday's Los Angeles Times:
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Michael Todd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 August 2011 at 9:17pm | IP Logged | 11  

That's odd!  I don't do anything anymore, and I haven't had a good idea in years.

Greg Woronchak
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 August 2011 at 6:42am | IP Logged | 12  

3am-to-hit-a-deadline

When I was in Illustration and Design school, I trained myself to have my assignments completed within the hours of a working 'day'; in other words, I was never a fan of slacking off during class hours and staying up all night to finish stuff. The students who did, however, proudly boasted about pulling all-nighters, and even implied that the work was somehow better. Often, they'd hand in assignments late, claiming that the end result justified the amount of hours spent.

I have tremendous respect for your work ethic and discipline, it's inspiring!

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version