Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 11 Next >>
Topic: Marvel Strength Chart (???) (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 May 2008 at 8:59am | IP Logged | 1  

Posted by Paulo

As for the Beast effortlessly hefting that 500 lb. barbell, did something happen to him between that panel and this one in AVENGERS 184 where he can't lift the Absorbing Man's ball & chain?--

Answer:

As far as the Beast not being able to lift the Absorbing mans ball and chain is due to the mystical properties as Thor's Hammer.Only the Absorbing can lift it.

The Absorbing man was given his powers by the Asgardians.I can't remember if it was Loki or what not.If anyone else has been able to lift it Hulk etc.It's due to a lack of continuity on Marvels part.

Edited by Hector Marrs on 19 May 2008 at 9:01am
Back to Top profile | search

Paulo Pereira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 May 2008 at 9:15am | IP Logged | 2  

QUOTE:
As far as the Beast not being able to lift the Absorbing mans ball and chain is due to the mystical properties as Thor's Hammer.Only the Absorbing can lift it.

Loki gave the Absorbing Man his powers in JIM 114.  I don't remember reading that the ball and chain could only be lifted by Absorbing Man, though I suppose it makes a kind of sense.  Do you remember where this was established, Hector?

Christopher Alan Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 May 2008 at 9:56am | IP Logged | 3  

Actually in that same issue the Vision picked up the ball and chain and used it against the Absorbing man. It's probably best to write it off as the Beast making a joke.

Kevin Hagerman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 May 2008 at 10:06am | IP Logged | 4  

Does Creel confer his power into the ball?  In that issue he briefly had the properties of Captain America's shield.  Maybe a ball and chain made up of shieldstuff would weigh a LOT?

Paulo Pereira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 May 2008 at 10:07am | IP Logged | 5  

Good point; Vision was also holding it on the splash page of the next issue.  Then, again, I'm not sure of the rule re: machines, robots or androids.  However, again, no description I've (OHOTMU, for instance) says anything about it.

Robert White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 May 2008 at 10:07am | IP Logged | 6  

Colossus' ranking is odd given that before this was created, he held his own with Gladiator. That's something that nobody else on the "super-mediumweights" could ever hope of doing.

Paulo Pereira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 May 2008 at 10:12am | IP Logged | 7  

QUOTE:
Does Creel confer his power into the ball?  In that issue he briefly had the properties of Captain America's shield.  Maybe a ball and chain made up of shieldstuff would weigh a LOT?

But then he'd ditched the shield properties (inexplicably), fought the Vision, absorbing his intangibility, thereby falling into the water (and becoming water), leaving his weapon a normal ball & chain.

In any case, I don't know if whatever that alloy in the form of a ball would make the Beast struggle so.

Edited by Paulo Pereira on 19 May 2008 at 10:16am

Christopher Alan Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 May 2008 at 10:13am | IP Logged | 8  

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I don't see how. Captain America throws his shield quite easily.

Paulo Pereira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 May 2008 at 10:16am | IP Logged | 9  

QUOTE:
Colossus' ranking is odd given that before this was created, he held his own with Gladiator. That's something that nobody else on the "super-mediumweights" could ever hope of doing.

Heck, he fared better than heavyweight Ben Grimm.

However, if anyone remembers the Marvel RPG, they had a rather broad-ranging categories: Incredible, Amazing, etc.  I think they probably saw those pages. 

(And still wondering why Colossus is so short).

Kevin Hagerman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 May 2008 at 10:37am | IP Logged | 10  

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I don't see how. Captain America throws his shield quite easily.

------------------------------------------------------------ ------

Then it comes down to how many shields could be made from the ball and chain.  It's not a 1:1 by any means.  But it sounds like the alloy/ball and chain issue wasn't an issue at that point.  The Beast was probably goofing around.

Paulo Pereira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 May 2008 at 10:38am | IP Logged | 11  

(edited to delete because I'm an idiot)

Edited by Paulo Pereira on 19 May 2008 at 10:40am

Robert White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 May 2008 at 10:40am | IP Logged | 12  

Don't think the character scale is meant to be taken literally looking at how Spider-Man is portrayed.

I say this on the assumption that Layton (who I'm a fan of, by the way) had seen at least some of the Cockrum/Byrne X-Men art of the period.

<< Prev Page of 11 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version