Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 11 Next >>
Topic: Marvel Strength Chart (???) (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 May 2008 at 7:46pm | IP Logged | 1  

I don't see Hawkman as being any stronger than Batman, so normal
human strength even though he's not human imo. I can't think of any
instances where I've ever seen him show anything beyond normal human
strength. He's lifted heavy weights while flying but how much of that is
the lift of the nth metal?
Back to Top profile | search

Chad Carter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 May 2008 at 8:46pm | IP Logged | 2  

I think of Hawkman as being high normal, warrior strength. He swings that damn big mace around. No painty-waist there.

Mike Norris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 May 2008 at 3:56am | IP Logged | 3  

QUOTE:
I don't think there's really anything embarrassing about Supergirl not being on Superman's level. It's rare air. Barkley was great, but he wasn't Jordan, and so on.

Not sure that's an apt comparison. My logic is as Kryptonians they should be in the same catagory. There probably were/are Kryptonians who's strength is greater than Superman. Someone like Non comes to mind. So in the greater scheme of things the difference in strength between Kal-el, Kara and Non is negligible  

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Dan Avenell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 May 2008 at 10:00am | IP Logged | 4  

Who is the (physically) weakest Marvel hero? Professor X? Howard The Duck? 

Wayde Murray
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 May 2008 at 10:03am | IP Logged | 5  

The physically weakest is the Vision, when intangible, since he can lift nothing at all.

The physically weakest in the DC Universe would be Deadman for the same reasons.

Edited by Wayde Murray on 21 May 2008 at 11:55am

Dan Avenell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 May 2008 at 2:01pm | IP Logged | 6  

Intangibility doesn't count. 

Michael Andrew Gonoude
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 May 2008 at 2:12pm | IP Logged | 7  

For what it's worth (if anything), in an issue of World's Finest during its "Superman's Brave & Bold" phase, Superman first fought, then teamed up with the Martian Manhunter, and thought something along the lines of "People used to wonder if the Martian Manhunter was as strong as I am, and, judging from his punch, the answer is YES!".  So, I'd bump MM up to Super Heavyweight class.

Chad Carter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 May 2008 at 5:04pm | IP Logged | 8  

Supes was just being generous.

Ron Chevrier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 May 2008 at 11:53pm | IP Logged | 9  

Carter Hall is a normal human for all intents and purposes. However, the current Hawkman version flying around the DCU obtains enhanced strength and healing abilities by constant contact with the Nth Metal in his Hawkman uniform. Make of that what you will.

The heavyweight/super heavyweight categories measure impossible strength as a matter of degrees. To be sure, Superman, Captain Marvel, and Mon El are at the top of the list, but  by the same token, all living Kryptonians and Daxamites belong there because even the scrawniest and sickliest of their lot would be classified as Superman-level when powered up. Obviously they would be no match for the respective heroes' greater physique, and overall skill, but still powerful enough to wipe out most anyone in the lighter strength classes.

I don't know if the same applies to the New Gods. It's been established that even the Lowlies of Apokolips have greater than normal strength, but really, I can't see Desaad  or Glorious Godfrey giving Batman much of a workout in a one-on-one  tussle, let alone most of the people with any kind of super strength.

Wonder Woman and Martian Manhunter belong in the super heavyweights category, even though they might be  not quite as strong  as Superman (although that's debatable in Wonder Woman's case). Saying Wonder Woman is not in the same class as Superman does her a disservice. She is as strong or stronger than Hercules, the same source from whence the Marvel Family males get most of their strength. Yes, she got clobbered by Mongul, but Superman himself has rarely gotten a decisive K.O.on this guy. Mongul's invulnerability and recuperative powers are greater than Superman's ability to inflict damage upon him. The DC Presents issues and that selfsame "For the Man Who Has Everything" story will attest to that.That Wonder Woman succumbed in her first encounter with an unfamiliar opponent shouldn't count against her.

Martian Manhunter is stronger than Captain Comet, the Demon, and Aquaman, as well as Iron Munroe (who has Golden age Superman strength levels), which is why I would move him up a notch. Martians have historically proven themselves to be more than a match for Superman in a physical fight.

Captain Atom is powerful, but is he strong? I don't know that I've seen evidence of his being a physical match for Superman, but I grant that the nature of his quantum powers would make him a formidable opponent for the Man of Steel especially as they've been amped up significantly in recent years.

Edited by Ron Chevrier on 21 May 2008 at 11:57pm

Wayde Murray
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 May 2008 at 3:52am | IP Logged | 10  

Dan wrote:
Intangibility doesn't count.

Fair enough. For the MU, then, I would think the physicaly weakest would be Katie Power, the younger sister in the Power Pack family. She could manipulate enormous energies, but she was still physically just a little girl.

Stephen Robinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 May 2008 at 8:06am | IP Logged | 11  

So in the greater scheme of things the difference in strength between Kal-el, Kara and Non is negligible  

SER: If you want to inject logic into it (always dangerous), I'd say that while Non would be stronger than Superman and Supergirl, the latter two would be faster (and Supergirl potentially more agile and more manueverable -- if that's a word --- than all three).

That was sort of my issue with SUPERMAN II -- Non was the only real threat. Granted, I always thought it would be like Batman vs. Ubu -- Batman is quicker and more skilled, while Ubu is big, but slow and lumbering, with a "gut like a pillow" and a jaw like a "soap bubble."

Superman should have been able to knock out Ursa with one punch. General Zod was a middle-aged, skinny guy.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Mike Norris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 May 2008 at 12:30pm | IP Logged | 12  

I would agree with that. What Superman brings to the table in a fight against Non is not strength but skill and tactics. He can out smart and out maneuver him. Zod brings cunning and military strategy. Not sure about Ursa but Superman could drop her with one punch, assuming she's not faster or more agile than he is. But they are all Kryptonians, so even the weakest person from Krypton is probably stronger than the strongest person in the "heavyweight" division.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

<< Prev Page of 11 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version