Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 376 Next >>
Topic: Marvel Figurine Collection Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 November 2007 at 8:21am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

No, I don't use them, it's already hard enough to save money for the figurines themselves ...
Back to Top profile | search

Frank Gurstelle
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 November 2007 at 8:59am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

The Eaglemoss Superman got me thinking about the pose. 

What is the origin of the feet-together-chest-out-pose?  I know Alex Ross has a famous pose of Superman like that, so I am guessing he was inspired by something similar from earlier, and that this figureine is inspired from Ross' take.  I wonder because I don't quite care for the feet together look . . . . just not quite . . . heroic enough for me.  I suppose one could say Superman, being Superman, can pull it off.  I prefer a more feet shoulder length apart pose.

Thoughts, opinions?

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 16 November 2007 at 9:00am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

It is, at least to me, a moment-before-liftoff pose.

As I have mentioned elsewhere, "my" Superman flies from the chest.

Andy Mokler
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 November 2007 at 1:39pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

With all the fun you guys are having, I've been debating on taking the plunge and starting a collection of these figurines.  I've read through quite a few pages on this thread but not all so I apologize if this has been addressed already.

The Red Skull.  He looks awful to me.  Why does he have such a pencil neck?

The Super Skurll.  It looks to me like they used the scale of a regular Skrull and just put the Thing's and Human Torch's hands on him.  Bullseye is 99 cm and Super Skrull is only 83 cm?  That's not even close to scale is it?

Other than a couple figurines these look like they are pretty cool. 

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Andy Mokler
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 November 2007 at 1:47pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Thomas Moudry wrote:

Doctor Doom (which I already have if someone wants this one for cheap),

What would be considered "cheap"?  I'm interested and Doctor Doom seems like a good character to start my collection with.

My e-mail is:

moklerman@bak.rr.com

if you want to contact me directly

Ryan Maxwell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 November 2007 at 1:51pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I don't even notice the neck on the Red Skull anymore.  It is long, but unless you are looking at him in profile or from underneath, it's no big deal.  My figures are on my desk, so I'm looking down on them.  I added some brighter red highlights on the face and top of his head, so that draws my attention also.

The Super Skrull is one I'm on the fence with, I'm waiting to see it in person before I decide to buy or not.

Edited by Ryan Maxwell on 16 November 2007 at 1:51pm

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 16 November 2007 at 1:55pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Andy Mokler wrote:
The Super Skurll.  It looks to me like they used the scale of a regular Skrull and just put the Thing's and Human Torch's hands on him.  Bullseye is 99 cm and Super Skrull is only 83 cm?  That's not even close to scale is it?

One look at Galactus and you'll discover that these figurines aren't meant to be done to scale.  They generally look good standing next to one another, the only real standout so far being a rather large Dr. Strange, but the fact that they aren't to scale isn't a deterrent for me at all.  They look incredible (I'd argue that the Red Skull looks better "in person" than in ads), so it bothers this collector not one whit if one character looks a tad shorter or taller than they are actually supposed to be.  A minor annoyance at best and nothing to concern myself with in the least.

Andy Mokler
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 November 2007 at 2:12pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I guess a big part of it is the quality of the photo being used and how close the figurine in the photo is to the production version.  I'd probably have to do like a lot of you and "fix" some things. 

As far as the scale on Galactus I can see why they would have to fudge it a little but with the regular sized characters, a couple just seem inconsistent with the rest.  Which, in a way, is a compliment since most of the figures seem to be accurately sized. 

Kitty Pryde is another one that seems a little out of scale.  Of course, part of that is the fact that I always imagine her as a young girl and/or very petite. 

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 16 November 2007 at 2:15pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Doesn't bother me.  There are tons of models and the like that are in perfect scale.  That this collection isn't perfectly to scale is far outweighed by the fact that I think they're some of the best representations of their kind available.  Taken on an individual basis, as I think they are meant to be, and scale doesn't even enter into the equation.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 16 November 2007 at 3:02pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Bullseye is 99 cm and Super Skrull is only 83 cm? That's not even close to
scale is it?

••

Remember, Bullseye has his hand up over his head, holding a knife. The
measurement is to the highest point, not the top of the head.

That said, as Andy demonstrates, above, Kitty is too tall.

Andy Mokler
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 November 2007 at 3:24pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Taken on an individual basis, as I think they are meant to be, and scale doesn't even enter into the equation.

I hate to disagree with you Matt, because I get the feeling it's coming off as negative criticism of the figurines.  I like them and I'm not bashing them, just commenting on a couple that I think are a little out of scale.  I do disagree with you about them intended to be viewed on an individual basis.  I get the very distinct impression that they have been intended as a collection from the start.

Here's an example of advertised vs. reality.  Venom looks big and menacing in the official photo but kind of small in the fan photo.  So much of the problem is there, I don't think, isn't a strict model sheet for many of the characters at M anymore.  But that's not exactly news is it?

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 16 November 2007 at 3:32pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Of course they were intended to be viewed as a collection.  Just look at the plinth that you can buy to display up to ten figurines.  But I still contend that the purpose of these figurines wasn't to make them to exact scale.  Maybe Steve Reaper can shed a little light on this particular disagreement.

<< Prev Page of 376 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version