Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 4 Next >>
Topic: Biden’s health Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 June 2024 at 6:29pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Where is the younger and better choice? I was genuinely waiting for one. I would hope Biden wouldn't pull a Bader-Ginsburg if the party had somebody like that around. I think it's going to be increasingly difficult to find anybody worth having willing to even take many of these positions in the future, and that includes judges and basic election workers.

I have though hair dye, and possibly even a more obvious if artificial tan, probably should be higher on the Biden platform. It seems to go with the job, since television started at least. JFK was young and many thought very healthy looking; only after did we find out he was one of the most ill. If Republicans then had've hollered a lot about that I wonder if he'd have been as successful standing up to Khrushchev?

Edited by Rebecca Jansen on 13 June 2024 at 6:34pm
Back to Top profile | search | www

James Johnson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 June 2024 at 7:13pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I was a Baltimore Sun subscriber for well over 3 decades, including the online edition. 

Once those bastards from Sinclair bought the newspaper, I immediately canceled my subscription. 

Sinclair has been running negative stories about POC on the 2 local TV  stations they own in the Baltimore area for the last 2 decades. The only time that you may see a "positive" story is when it's related to religion.  

A right-leaning news organization running "faith-based" stories. 

Imagine that.......................
Back to Top profile | search

Dave Kopperman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 June 2024 at 7:26pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

JB wrote:
Credulity? He’s an OLD MAN.

No argument there - even from Biden himself, who calls himself 'elderly' (which somehow sounds even older than just calling him 'old'). It's how one thinks about the effect on his capacity to do the job and if he's TOO old.  That's where the far left and right agree - he's TOO old, though the right seems to think about it more in terms of senility and the far left couches it in terms of 'out of touch' and behind the times. 

It's undeniable that it's an optics challenge, and that's where I wish there were other options. But I definitely fall on the experience and post-war sensibility side and view it mostly as a positive - and felt pretty strongly that the SOTU firmly showed he's all there. And given the massive Venn overlaps of crises that his administration has had to deal with - not least of all trying to convince American voters not to give up on Democracy itself! - I think the experience and temperament that comes from his age is an asset. But a lot of people disagree with that, hence the lousy optics.

Peter Hicks
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 June 2024 at 9:34pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I think Nicki Haley was quite right when she said whichever party can first ditch its presumed nominee and nominate a middle aged mediocre candidate will win the White House.

This week, North Dakota passed a law that a candidate cannot run to be their representative in the House or the Senate if they will turn 81 before the term is over.  The law would likely not survive a court challenge, but such a court challenge would scream to the entire state “Look at me, I’m waaayyy older than anyone in Washington should be!”

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 June 2024 at 12:24am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

JB wrote:
…arguably the most effective Democratic administration since Johnson's.
•••
Damning with faint praise.

Intentionally so.

But compared to the accomplishments inflicted by 21st Century Republican administrations like the War on Terror and its quagmires in Iraq and Afghanistan, torture, the Great Recession, the 2017 Tax Hike, overturning Roe v. Wade -- oh and an insurrection, I'll take what I can get.

I'm not going to get carried away. Biden is still Biden, Democrats are still Democrats. Government is unwieldy and wasteful. But I do think Biden's first term represents unqualified success in terms of checking off a laundry list of Democratic agendas, many more than Obama achieved after Obamacare.

Not only that, Biden deserves credit for being willing to take the hits for controversial but necessary decisions like completely withdrawing US forces from Afghanistan, and allowing justice to run its course in cases against members of the previous administration.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 June 2024 at 12:33am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

James Johnson wrote:
I was a Baltimore Sun subscriber for well over 3 decades, including the online edition.

Once those bastards from Sinclair bought the newspaper, I immediately canceled my subscription.

That's sad, I grew up in Baltimore and have sentimental associations with the Sun.

For a couple years, Sinclair required its television stations to broadcast political commentary by Boris Epshteyn, a Russia-born far-right activist who was recently indicted for his role as a co-conspirator in the 2020 insurrection.

When I heard about that, I imagined a time traveler arriving in twenty-oughts America, seeing "The Bottom Line With Boris" on the local news and assuming the Soviet Union won the Cold War.

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 June 2024 at 12:38am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

The hits keep on coming... saying he is proud of his son, which will obviously be quoted sans all context or qualifications (such as, "for getting off drugs"). I'm sure it will look to those not paying much attention he's proud of someone who lied on their firearms application paperwork. At a joint speaking event with Zelensky of Ukraine he should've just said such questions are out of place. I was watching CNN and MSNBC and the headline below for a lot of it was Biden "proud of son". A major international agreement made? Not spicy or dramatic enough (and probably reversible anyway because... no rules according to the other side, aka "this is war").

Groan. :^(

Mitch Denoyer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 June 2024 at 2:00pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I would still vote for Biden if he were on his death bed.  An incapable good man is always preferable over a capable evil man.

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 June 2024 at 4:23pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

It is a bit interesting the contrast between how the 'righties' will fall in line behind the leader they run interference for via excuses for them even where they have vehemently denounced him as bonkers or vile, yet the 'lefties' rarely show solidarity and defense for a leader with any kind of flaw. Perhaps it's a "chosen by God" or manifest destiny kind of tradition versus breaking with all that traditional or just plain old magical thinking.

It still seems precarious, Biden tripping on a curb however minimally could be the end for his chances just like Howard Dean and his inauthentic "Yeaaah!" that time... it'd get replayed over and over and over. Maybe though if someone could spot a red hatted villain setting him up for it and make sure that is what gets shown over and over.

Even when FDR was visibly at death's door the media back then complied in showing him in the best light during a critical phase in WWII. These days they can zero in on the smallest weakness and magnify.

Steven Myers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 June 2024 at 1:08am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I don't think there should be an age limit on running. We currently have people living the longest, healthiest lives ever. I still think Trump and Biden are too old, however. My state is currently very red, so I can just vote down ticket for who I really think is qualified and ignore the old men.

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 June 2024 at 3:57am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Both parties have been terrible about cultivating future leaders.

I expected Obama to leave office having community organized a generation of capable young Democratic leadership, but instead he passed the torch to Hillary Clinton. There are a few Democrats with national prominence, but everyone I could name still feels like a lightweight.

On the Republican side, while Lara Trump is RNC co-chair, leadership development and succession planning isn't going to extend beyond the immediate family. Who knows, they might be right and it won't be necessary.

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 June 2024 at 4:28pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

A great deal is made about the age of one candidate, when the truth is that both are elderly. And IMHO, Trump shows more signs of mental impairment and disability than Biden; his speeches are rambling messes of incoherent gibberish, strung together with grievances and punctuated by snappy catchphrases he field-tested in 2016.

Also, it's not 100% about the candidate himself. There's also a whole group of people *around* the candidate. Joe chooses qualified and experienced people; Don chooses crooks, losers, grifters, wannabes and asskissers. Biden wants government to work; Trump wants government to serve him personally, fuck anyone else.

One will keep America on a path forward through a complicated world. The other will tear us apart and put us on a path to downfall. (To be clear, I mean Biden is the former and Trump the latter, lest anyone want to snark about who's who here.)

The choice is pretty clear. Vote as your conscience dictates.

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version