Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 20 Next >>
Topic: Famous Folk talk Shakespeare Authorship (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 June 2024 at 4:40pm | IP Logged | 1  

SB: Is my definition really so radically opposed to yours?

Yes.

Back to Top profile | search

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 June 2024 at 4:40pm | IP Logged | 2  

But, Mark... come on! Steven did respond "Sigh."

Maybe you're trolling him!

G'day folks...!

Steven Brake
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 June 2024 at 4:41pm | IP Logged | 3  

Michael Penn wrote: But also, again Steven, you hold a definition of evidence that Mark rejects -- and having admitted that, what's the point of debating him? To "beat" him on his own different or perhaps even to you erroneous terms? And he can never "score" any point in this discussion because you have your own definition, anyway. This is like trolling, isn't it?

SB replied: See my reply above, regarding our definitions of evidence. I honestly think this is quibbling about nothing, and I'm happy to use Mark's definition, which I don't see as being opposed to my own. :)

Steven Brake
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 June 2024 at 4:44pm | IP Logged | 4  

Mark Haslett wrote: The problem is that your definition of evidence does not nearly match the things which you present as evidence.

SB replied: Such as?

Mark Haslett wrote: But you use your definition to arbitrarily determine that what other people think is evidence is not, indeed, evidence.

SB replied: I don't. See my reply regarding Hall. I'm not questioning that he harboured, indeed expressed, doubts about the authorship of Venus & Adonis. I disagree that it's conclusive.

Mark Haslett wrote: An argument that ignores inconvenient evidence is not as good as one which can account for it.

SB replied: I agree. 

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 June 2024 at 4:47pm | IP Logged | 5  

SB: ...It does not seem to be the case that Shakespeare's contemporaries shared these doubts.

Here is another of your claims without evidence.

How do we test this hypothesis?

Did anyone ever contradict Hall and Marsten?

No.

Were Hall and Marsten well-known?

Ben Jonson collaborated with Marsten. So, yes.

How does this fact pattern suggest that "It does not seem to be the case that Shakespeare's contemporaries shared these doubts"?

It doesn't. In fact, considering Jonson's character, it is unlikely that Jonson and Marsten could work together with opposing opinions on such an important relationship in Jonson's career.

What I have done here is ask questions and look at the evidence that can answer them.

On the other hand, your statement is complete speculation without any supporting evidence, leading to the opposite conclusion for no apparent reason other than it is the conclusion that you want.

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 June 2024 at 4:52pm | IP Logged | 6  

SB replied: I don't. See my reply regarding Hall. I'm not questioning that he harboured, indeed expressed, doubts about the authorship of Venus & Adonis. I disagree that it's conclusive.

Looks like we are at an end here.

The definition of good faith argument is that you can repeat the opposite position without bias in order to argue against it fairly. But you seem incapable of that.

I never said Hall's statements were conclusive. You cannot "disagree" with something that was never said.

I also never said Hall "harbored doubt". I repeatedly corrected you that Hall stated affirmatively and clearly that he knew Shakespeare was a pen name. He may be wrong, but he did not "express doubt". He never said, "I doubt Shakespeare wrote the works."

He said "Dear true author, you and I both know you are using a pen name and I think you should stop."

And no matter what mental gymnastics you engage in, this is evidence that Shakespeare's contemporaries called him out for using a pen name. It doesn't mean that it is "conclusive proof" -- just that it happened.

Steven Brake
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 June 2024 at 5:16pm | IP Logged | 7  

Mark Haslett wrote: How do we test this hypothesis?

Did anyone ever contradict Hall and Marsten? No.

SB replied: Surely it's salient that no-one else supported them, or reiterated their doubts?

Mark Haslett wrote: Were Hall and Marsten well-known? Ben Jonson collaborated with Marsten. So, yes.

SB replied: And Jonson didn't share those doubts, or not about Shakespeare's authorship in any case, even if he varied in his opinion of the quality of his writing. 

Mark Haslett wrote: I never said Hall's statements were conclusive. You cannot "disagree" with something that was never said.

Mark Haslett also wrote: I repeatedly corrected you that Hall stated affirmatively and clearly that he knew Shakespeare was a pen name.

SB replied: You've pretty much lost me here. Your first statement denies that Hall's statement is conclusive, but your second one says that it was.

Mark Haslett: He said "Dear true author, you and I both know you are using a pen name and I think you should stop."

SB replied: Is that a direct quote? :)

Mark Haslett wrote: Shakespeare's contemporaries called him out for using a pen name. It doesn't mean that it is "conclusive proof" - just that it happened.

SB replied: Hall and perhaps Marston seem to have genuinely believed that Shakespeare was not the author of Venus & Adonis. I'm not disputing this. I am disputing whether or not their belief was correct, and I don't believe that it was.

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 June 2024 at 9:15pm | IP Logged | 8  

MH: Did anyone ever contradict Hall and Marsten? No.

SB replied: Surely it's salient that no-one else supported them, or reiterated their doubts?

You constantly seem to want to muddy the water on this. If it was true that "no one else supported them" or "reiterated their doubts" then that could be considered "salient."

However, it is not true. Therefor, this thought (as framed) is irrelevant. Other contemporaries saying the same thing include John Weever, Thomas Edwards, Ben Jonson, Richard Brome and John Davies. We can do our little dance about them later, but I am happy to show you how their writings about Shakespeare are right in line with Hall.

But, assuming you won't believe me, let's consider just ow "salient" it would if no one else supported Hall's assertion or reiterated his doubts? Is that how evidence works? If we only have two witnesses to something come forward, do we say their testimony doesn't count unless more witnesses also come forth?

No.

We may wonder why other witnesses who should come forth do not. But, unless they come forward to contradict or testify against the first two witnesses, then those who remain silent have to be considered neutral on the question to avoid speculation and conjecture.

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 June 2024 at 9:23pm | IP Logged | 9  

SB replied: Hall and perhaps Marston seem to have genuinely believed that Shakespeare was not the author of Venus & Adonis. I'm not disputing this. I am disputing whether or not their belief was correct, and I don't believe that it was.

No, you are disputing whether or not Hall and Marsten's published works which declare Shakespeare is a pen name constitute evidence that Shakespeare's contemporaries accused "Shakespeare" of being a pen name.

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 June 2024 at 10:03pm | IP Logged | 10  

Question for Steven:

Did any of Shakespeare's contemporaries ever suggest in print that Shakespeare's works were written under a pen-name?

This is a "yes or no" question. Please answer "Yes" or "No".

Steven Brake
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 June 2024 at 2:08pm | IP Logged | 11  

Mark Haslett wrote: However, it is not true. Therefor, this thought (as framed) is irrelevant. Other contemporaries saying the same thing include John Weever, Thomas Edwards, Ben Jonson, Richard Brome and John Davies... I am happy to show you how their writings about Shakespeare are right in line with Hall.

SB replied: You have statements from Shakespeare's contemporaries unequivocally stating that Will of Stratford isn't the author he purports to be, or is claimed as being?

Mark Haslett: If we only have two witnesses to something come forward, do we say their testimony doesn't count unless more witnesses also come forth?

SB replied: What testimony unequivocally stating that Will of Stratford wasn't the author of the plays do you have? You're being unusually coy in claiming to have it, rather than actually providing it.

Mark Haslett wrote: No, you are disputing whether or not Hall and Marsten's published works which declare Shakespeare is a pen name constitute evidence that Shakespeare's contemporaries accused "Shakespeare" of being a pen name.

SB replied: What published works declaring that Shakespeare is a pen name are you referring to? Are you able to provide an actual quote from Hall or Marston that directly says that the plays or poems attributed to Shakespeare weren't by him? 

And I mean an actual quote from Hall and Marston - not ambiguous remarks and unproven speculation about them.

Mark Haslett wrote: Did any of Shakespeare's contemporaries ever suggest in print that Shakespeare's works were written under a pen-name?

SB replied: To the best of my knowledge, no. I'm waiting for you to provide this unambiguous and direct evidence.

Mark Haslett wrote: This is a "yes or no" question. Please answer "Yes" or "No".

SB replied: See above.

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 June 2024 at 2:57pm | IP Logged | 12  

Sigh

<< Prev Page of 20 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version