Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 291 Next >>
Topic: Pencil Practice -- and Beyond! Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 30 March 2019 at 9:22am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I've recently learned that since the first whisper of this project made it onto the internet, Marvel and Disney have been deluged with vitriol from Byrne Bashers wanting to make sure everyone knows I am the Great Satan and this should be killed aborning.

Which is a pity. If Marvel decides they don't want this, based on all this noise, the only ones who will be "hurt" are the fans who are so looking forward to it. Won't hurt me at all. I'll just "publish" here, as fan fiction.

It's all too typical, unfortunately. The internet trolls who don't want to see something published, and therefore don't think ANYONE should see it. Joseph Goebbels would be proud.

Back to Top profile | search

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 March 2019 at 9:41am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Another instance where the "vocal minority" may have persuasive powers.
I say we on the forum rally our forces, and let our voices be heard! 

Paul Wills
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 March 2019 at 11:16am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I'm still trying to figure out what you did to create such vitriol.
Is it because you're a dedicated pro who wants the characters and stories to stay true to its roots without being watered down?
I say you must be doing something right because you have a ton of fans (that also includes pro's in the industry).
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 30 March 2019 at 11:38am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I say you must be doing something right because you have a ton of fans (that also includes pro's in the industry).

•••

Looking at the comments under the YouTube videos it’s easy to see the majority are positive. Sadly, as seen above, this doesn’t cause the naysayers to change their minds. (Perhaps they think it hurts?) Rather the Bashers will grid their lions and insist those with something good to say are “sucking up”—tho no one seems able to explain what that would gain for them. Free membership in the JBF, maybe?

Larry Gil
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 March 2019 at 12:19pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

It would be a sad day if marvel didn't publish this . I'm sure your fans outweigh the trolls 100:1. On any topic on youtube,twitter,etc there is always negative , hurtful comments . 

And didn't CB say he wanted this to happen as well .

Fingers crossed.

Bill Dowling
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 March 2019 at 3:54pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

If it doesn’t get published, will you be selling the pages?
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Thomas Woods
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 March 2019 at 4:57pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

It's all too typical, unfortunately. The internet trolls
who don't want to see something published, and therefore
don't think ANYONE should see it. Joseph Goebbels would
be proud.

---

I hate this kind of crap. I can't think of anything off
hand I would not want published, no matter how much I
hate it. I would rather let it stand on it's own and
fail or succeed on it's own.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Mal Gardiner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 March 2019 at 5:25pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

“Grid their lions” made me chuckle...

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 30 March 2019 at 7:32pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

If it doesn’t get published, will you be selling the pages?

•••

Either way, eventually. Tho I am somewhat loathe to release pencils into an environment where a purchaser is likely to want to get them inked, usually with little regard to the skill of the inker. (“My cousin wants to be an inker, so I let him practice...”)

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 30 March 2019 at 7:35pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Another instance where the "vocal minority" may have persuasive powers.I say we on the forum rally our forces, and let our voices be heard!

•••

Ordinarily, I’d say not, but the internet has so warped the normal paths of civil communication it’s hard to know what constitutes a correct response.

Stéphane Garrelie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 March 2019 at 6:33am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Be sure that i, for one, want to see it published. There are very few new comics i read these days, because in the vast majority of the cases i don't like the way they are done, and for those i like, way to often there are references to what the shared universe they're set in has become, and those are references to things that should not be and make me angry.
So i basicly moved to reading Marvel Epic Collections (+ one DC monthly series) , giving me the occasion to get issues that weren't accessible anymore when i was a kid/teen, and later were accessible only in black and white Essentials or expensive hardcovers (Masterworks).
A new series by you, and particularly since from what i can see it is a version of you i like, is a joy. You seem to be creatively in a good shape, and doing something that also corresponds to my tastes, so that series, if it comes to print, will be more than welcome.

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 March 2019 at 7:27am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I am baffled by the people that would actively woek against the publication of this book. A common theme on this board is how comics were better decades ago because of the professional involved with the stories, characters and books themselves. Here is a book from arguably one of the top three comic book writers every and the FIRST write anyone thinks of to "fix" a comic book. So naturally there are people trying to make this go away. I certainly want to see several artist edition volumes of this book. My guess is there are enough issues so far for two artist editions (roughly 10-12 issues).

JB, if you had your druthers, in what format would you like to see this work published?

<< Prev Page of 291 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version