Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 291 Next >>
Topic: Pencil Practice -- and Beyond! Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 March 2019 at 8:14am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Here we see one of my greatest fears should I return to Marvel. How, how, how can I make the work idiot-proof??

I'm not aware of Marvel ways of dealing with books like this but isn't it possible for you to have complete control of the storyline and concepts you create for "Elsewhen" as this series would be completely outside the current X-Books storyline?

By the way, thank you so much for sharing these wonderful pages!

Edited by David Schmidt on 25 March 2019 at 8:15am
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 25 March 2019 at 9:37am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I'm not aware of Marvel ways of dealing with books like this but isn't it possible for you to have complete control of the storyline and concepts you create for "Elsewhen" as this series would be completely outside the current X-Books storyline?

••

Outside the current X-Books this may be, but these are still characters owned by a big, powerful corporation. They don't want them messed up.

There's also the experience I've had of editors assuming they know more about the characters than I do--which would be extremely dangerous on a book like this. On HIDDEN YEARS there were editorial screw ups even tho I was referencing existing material. Here, I will be MAKING IT UP, so plenty of opportunities for various gnomes to "fix" stuff.

The truly annoying part, as I have noted, is that these gaffs most often happen because nobody bothers to pick up the phone. Imagine this simple exchange:

Editor: John, you've got Sauron referring to himself as having shared a lab with Xavier. But Magneto is in the panel, so I guess you meant that dialog to be his, right?

Me: It was established in his first appearance that Sauron was once Xavier's lab partner. Chris added Magneto to the equation decades later.

ED: Oh, I didn't know that!

See? Simple. Yet didn't happen, and the scene was messed up.

David Schmidt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 March 2019 at 10:13am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Wow. That's so unprofessional...

About the messed up characters I don't understand what they can be afraid of.
Didn't they already let Nightcrawler be the devil's son? Didn't they already let Cyclops kill Professor X?

Honestly what could be worse than that?

Darren Taylor
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 March 2019 at 10:51am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I have to note that I'm quite flabbergasted by the number of comments (Conceding, this one as well) on BWS.

I thought this and "X" were relatively well known. 

It has been quite the eye-opener to see so many trip-up/fixate over this.

Makes me wonder about other things I take for granted.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 25 March 2019 at 11:10am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I have to note that I'm quite flabbergasted by the number of comments (Conceding, this one as well) on BWS.

••

One of the things that has perplexed me since my earliest days on the interweb is how many people DON'T think "Oh, surely somebody must have commented on this already?"

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 25 March 2019 at 11:13am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

About the messed up characters I don't understand what they can be afraid of.Didn't they already let Nightcrawler be the devil's son? Didn't they already let Cyclops kill Professor X?

Honestly what could be worse than that?

••

Somewhere along the way, there grew among certain segments of fandom the notion that I don't LIKE the characters. After all, if I LIKED them, why would I do all these terrible things to them? (Well, for one thing, you'd be BORED if I didn't!)

So every time I am handed a new project, there are those who will assume I am going to do what I can to break the characters.

It's the old fanboy trifecta: "I don't like this! Therefore it is bad! Therefore it must be bad on purpose!"

Richard Palmgren
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 March 2019 at 11:57am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

So every time I am handed a new project, there are those who will assume I am going to do what I can to break the characters
---------------
Only small-minded people!  Every time you've taken on a project of previously created characters you've elevated them both artistically and in character development!  (ie. Susan Richards in the FF run, or even Number One in Crew)

Marvel should give you the current X-Universe just to finally get it back on track

Leigh DJ Hunt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 March 2019 at 12:11pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Back onto tropes, a recent thread elsewhere suggested that your 'thing' JB, is to 'fix' things back to the way that it used to be. Returning 'villains' to their villainous ways after they'd started to go straight, as an example. So anything done post-Lee/Kirby/Ditko that was a fundamental change to a character done by a peer that you didn't like is something you like to 'correct'. Some people seem to have really strong opinions about some of these things e.g. the Vision in your Avengers run. 

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 25 March 2019 at 12:22pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Very often the things I do that set some fans to snarling are the same things that are applauded if done by someone else.

Mario Ribeiro
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 March 2019 at 2:12pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

One of my childhood traumas was reading the letters section in a Brazilian Marvel comic back in the eighties, and the question was about how Graphic Novels fit continuity and the editor answered that since Iron Man's Crash took place in the future, "at least you know someone like Byrne won't kill the character". And I was like: "I hope they keep Spider-Man away from John Byrne!"

Edited by Mario Ribeiro on 25 March 2019 at 2:19pm

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 25 March 2019 at 2:31pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

And yet... who have I killed?

Mario Ribeiro
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 March 2019 at 2:41pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Well, I guess Phoenix and The Guardian, but it was very early on in my collecting (I haven't even read those stories). So I believed them!

Edited by Mario Ribeiro on 25 March 2019 at 2:43pm

<< Prev Page of 291 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version