Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 376 Next >>
Topic: Marvel Figurine Collection Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 November 2007 at 9:15am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Sorry JB, looks like the "wallet relief" is only temporary.  We had a major panic in the UK when a similar leaflet was distributed with DC Issue 5.  I contacted Eaglemoss (not the un-help desk) and it was confirmed to me that the series trials were complete and that the series WOULD launch nationally in the very near future.  I was given a date for this but asked not to make it public just yet as it still had to be finalised......

Personally I think someone at Eaglemoss needs to attend a letter writing course with a view to getting a clear, unambiguous message across, with a little bit of the course focussed on customer relations and an understanding that customers will ALWAYS pick up on the negative aspects of any mailshot.

I have contacted Alan Cowsill and Emma Thackara to get a definitive answer.....all will become clear shortly.

rgds

Steve

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Webb
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 November 2007 at 9:23am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Thanks for that Steve. Its nice to have someone who is leaning towards being on the inside with these things. Do you agree with me that even if this series does go ahead it will have a lesser impact than the Marvel line?
Back to Top profile | search

Steve Reaper
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 November 2007 at 9:48am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Just had this in from Emma Thackara:

Hi Steve
Both members of the relevant dpt are on their hols hence the stoney silence. Please can you reassure everyone that the project is going to launch next year and that we really value all our customers, especially those who have taken the trouble to subscribe. I'll chivvy someone to come onto the board early next week to engage everyone in conversation about how we've handled this.
Thanks!
Emma

Steve Reaper
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 November 2007 at 10:11am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Hi John, it is a hard one to call really.  As a kid in the UK I seem to remember more MARVEL comics than DC and so maybe UK market will perhaps be less strong.  I know there are people on here far more knowledgable than me on this subject who may be able to shed more light but my suspicision is DC will be a storming success in the USA as my perception is that DC is a "stronger" product stateside.

Time will tell.

rgds

Steve

John Webb
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 November 2007 at 10:29am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Steve when I was growing up and reading comics during the 70's and early 80's DC had almost no market at all in the UK. My nearest supply of DC comics was 100 mile away from home and that was just a junk shop that bought them by the cubic yard or something (this is in the days of comics as shipping ballast). I know things have changed an awful lot in the last 20 years but strongly suspect that many consumers of this product will be between 30 and 40 years of age and will have less of a bond with the product. I agree with you about DC in the USA being a much stronger market but even so Marvel still out guns DC in the US of A.

Anthony Wallis
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 November 2007 at 10:58am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Marvel comics, and the British reprints of them, were in every newsagent when I was a kid in the 80's. It wasn't until a family holiday to Jersey in 1985 that I saw a DC comic (US folks - that's Jersey in the Channel Islands  - 'Old Jersey' if you like). My feeling is that the Eaglemoss DC collection will only sell well in the UK when it comes to the Icons.

Back to Top profile | search | www

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 November 2007 at 11:32am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

My memory of DC comics from when I was a kid was that the only place they were available (70's) was at seaside resorts. At that young age I was always confused by the 'next issue on sale on (the following date)' at the end of the issue as we would get the issues three months after the US release dates (Anyone else remember THAT time?). Consequently, the two factors of a) hardley ever seeing an issue and b) the release dates led me to wonder why DC only released 1 issue of each comic per year.

Of course, now I look at the current release schedules and find the 1 issue a year release schedule to be quite acceptable by the big two (And others).

Oooohh, swings at the easy one.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Peillon Lionel
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 November 2007 at 12:45pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

The Vision arrive in France...finally...We're very late comparably to the UK...(but we'll play Euro 2008 !!!(football's fan joke !!! )) .Maybe I'll buy a second figurine in order to " custom " it . A  "white " version .

Anthony Wallis
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 November 2007 at 2:43pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Don't start me on the Euro 2008 qualifications, Peillon! :-)) I'm kind of gutted about England's failure to qualify but in a way I think it will be a good thing. We need to have a good hard look at the game in England, far too many players in out top flight football are not English, weakening out national side.

The Luke Cage figurine came out in shops in the UK this week, a nice sculpt and well painted, but did Powerman have Herman Munster soles in the comic books?

Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 23 November 2007 at 4:46pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

The timer is ticking again. Next week, if Midtown Comics stays on schedule,
I should be getting a couple out of the next grouping, which are supposed
to be Captain Britain, Ghost Rider, Nick Fury, Lizard and Polaris.

If all five come at once my head may explode!

Brian Talley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 November 2007 at 4:50pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Well hell, JB the Loreal sure as the dickens won't be able to fix that.

Edited by Brian Talley on 23 November 2007 at 4:50pm

Gene Kovacs
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 November 2007 at 5:15pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I tell ya......I was all about getting the DC figures when they came out, but after spending the last 2 weeks rearranging my den......I realize I have too much stuff already, and not enough room. So I think I'm going to have to reconsider that idea. (and I was only going to get the heroes, but even then, it could wind up being a ton of figurines)

<< Prev Page of 376 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version