Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 76 Next >>
Topic: Title Change: Spider-Man Thread (Now with New Costume) (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 02 February 2006 at 5:49pm | IP Logged | 1  

Some guys got into a classic fanboy debate about this over on Newsarama, but would any normal person really think he's gliding in those images?  He's really flying.

+++

Maybe a normal person would if they read the accompanying text that will appear on the page of the finished product.

Rules of Storytelling #1: if the words have to tell you what's in the pictures, the pictures have failed.

Back to Top profile | search

Mike Bunge
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 February 2006 at 5:52pm | IP Logged | 2  

"Exactly what is on that page that does not look like gliding?"

Well, he's plunging straight toward the ground and then makes a 90 degree turn just a few feet from going splat.  I'm not award of any "glider" that can do that.  Furthermore, what exactly is he supposed to be "gliding" on?  Those itty-bitty webs under his arms?  Spider-Woman's wings looked like you could glide on them.  Iron-Spider's wings look like he forgot to scrape some lint from under his arms.

This is what makes it a classic fanboy debate.  Fanboy A won't admit that the distinction between gliding and flying is pretty meaningless in this situation.  Fanboy B won't admit that he really is flying and not gliding.

Mike

Rob Hewitt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 February 2006 at 6:06pm | IP Logged | 3  

I think from the tweo pages it looks like he is nervous, not sure, and then jumps. At that point, it isn't clear whether he is gliding or flying.  Most heroes would fly  over glide, on the other hand, he isn't in a traditional flying pose, and is arched back, almost like a kite catching the wind.

I would imagine the stories will highlight the difference between gliding and flying-he'll probably have a limit as to how far they will go for example.

and gives him the ability to glide for very short distances (as many spiders can glide on air currents).

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 February 2006 at 6:14pm | IP Logged | 4  

"Well, New Avengers is a smash hit and THE Other has boosted sales.  So, I can't say fans are necessarily happy with the Other just cause they bought it, but they started buying Spider-man more. And they seem to like New Avengers. You aren't happy, I may not be happy, but many fans, probably most, seem to be with some of that.

Ok, Sins Past was a dud ultimately."

----

Although "The Other" gave a sales bump, from the last sales figures I saw, Amazing Spider-Man is selling well below what it was two years ago. I don't think we will see the fallout from "The Other" because Amazing is going immediately into the new costume and the Prelude to the Civil War.

For X-Men and Spider-Man, I'm not even convinced that high sales mean that people are happy. I think that Marvel can publish 12 months of Wolverine and Spider-Man sitting on a toilet and the titles will do a minimum of 60,000 an issue.

Rob Hewitt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 February 2006 at 6:17pm | IP Logged | 5  

Amazing Spider-Man is selling well below what it was two years ago.

True. Combination of SINS PAST and John Romita Jr. leaving have hurt the book, perhaps. Plus, many of the stories just weren't that good. and then again, most of the burgeoning "big events" were either at DC or other parts of Marvel.

However, NEw Avengers is a total hit, regardless.  It's held up well now for over a year.

Edited by Rob Hewitt on 02 February 2006 at 6:17pm

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 February 2006 at 6:20pm | IP Logged | 6  

I'm curious how well it would do without Wolverine and Spider-Man.

Rob Hewitt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 February 2006 at 6:25pm | IP Logged | 7  

But your original point was fans were unhappy with X Y Z. and my point is, fans are not unhappy with Z-the New Avengers, judging by sales*. and Y-the Other-is too soon to tell how people feel about it. In the end, I can't even believe it took 12 issues to do what they did.  and I am not really thrilled with the mystical gobbly gook.

Just because people here are unhappy, and just because you or I may be unhappy with something doesn't mean "fans" are.

*At this point, there has been almost as much New Avengers stuff, whether in House of M, or Amazing Spider-man, as New Avengers. So, it is possibly since it took so long for the team to form, that some of this may be false (and what's the deal with Ronin-one storyline and some garbage reveal and that is it????)

Edited by Rob Hewitt on 02 February 2006 at 6:31pm

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 February 2006 at 7:04pm | IP Logged | 8  

I'm saying that sales on New Avengers are not indicative of whether fans are happy with Spider-Man being on the team or not, but that Spider-Man's presence on the team is enough to boost sales on the title. I do not think those things are mutually exclusive.

Hector Baez
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 February 2006 at 7:11pm | IP Logged | 9  

"Oh...I never heard of it. I don't typically read what
Eric has to say... now I did.The tone of the column seems
to be very angry and preachy. Oh well... "

I agree with you Howard I came away from that column basically thinking very closely what you wrote so well in these few sentences....

"Come on,guys, this is all just smoke and mirrors. Changes
come and go... mostly in the attempt to get a boost in
sales. In the end... and,eventually, there will be an
end...writers, editors,editors-in-chief leave. The
further the Spider-Man books drift away from the core
concept, the more satisfying the return.

Just take a deep breath and wait."

Just the facts jack...

Edited by Hector Baez on 02 February 2006 at 7:11pm

Darren De Vouge
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 February 2006 at 7:48pm | IP Logged | 10  

QUOTE:

Or the Iron-Spider will become the next big Spider-Man villain (like Venom did).

Ouch. Don't giv'em any ideas!

What ideas?  It's been done before with Venom and some unoriginal writer will just repeat the process.  It's inevitable.

Jason Michalski
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 February 2006 at 9:26pm | IP Logged | 11  

Or the Iron-Spider will become the next big Spider-Man villain (like Venom did).

Ouch. Don't giv'em any ideas!

What ideas?  It's been done before with Venom and some unoriginal writer will just repeat the process.  It's inevitable.

I know, I was just joking. :-) And, I do agree with you there. It is inevitable.

Rob Hewitt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 February 2006 at 10:39pm | IP Logged | 12  

I'm saying that sales on New Avengers are not indicative of whether fans are happy with Spider-Man being on the team or not, but that Spider-Man's presence on the team is enough to boost sales on the title. I do not think those things are mutually exclusive.

If they didn't want him on the team, they probably start buying it-at least if they cared strongly.  They wouldn't be  Well, I like Spider-man, but I hate that he is in New Avengers, I know I'll keep buying New Avengers.

But i've heard of no outcry, outside of here, of him on the team.  Probably makes sense or is fun to a lot of people.

I have some evidence-sales. that could be do to a lot of thingsThe factr that he has been a New Avenger for House of M (mixed reviews but not cause Spidey was an Avenger), Amazing Spider-man (not generally critizied for that) and other things.  And while many seemed to say not another Wolverine appearance, there hasn't been that outcry for Spidey and the Avengers in the usual sources

So I see no reason to believe that fans dislike it. Quite the opposite.  It seems the only thing they aren't complaining about lately

Edited by Rob Hewitt on 02 February 2006 at 10:43pm

<< Prev Page of 76 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version