Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 76 Next >>
Topic: Title Change: Spider-Man Thread (Now with New Costume) (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 February 2006 at 6:08pm | IP Logged | 1  

Trevor Krysak wrote:

"Dan should take over for JMS on Spider-Man and the Fantastic Four."

Dan Slott would be good.
or..
Roger Stern- my favorite choice
Gail Simone- Just to get some humor back
Giffen and DeMatteis- Don't know if they would work long term, but DeMatteis has written some great Spider-Man stories. Add Giffen for some humor and see what happens.

I do think it's past time for new blood on ASM and FF is beginning to worry me.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Roger A Ott II
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 February 2006 at 6:55pm | IP Logged | 2  

That last pic that Rob Hewitt posted on the previous page looks a lot better than any of the previous shots we've seen.  Looks like it was drawn by Mark Bagley maybe?

The only thing I do find interesting about this whole thing is having Peter Parker and Tony Stark interacting.  These are my two favorite Marvel characters, so that much has my curiosity piqued.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Rob Hewitt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 February 2006 at 7:18pm | IP Logged | 3  

They will interact and Peter will take Tony's side in Civil War-but i have a feeling it won't last long and that's when he will go back to the red and blues

There's been a lot of pretty cool interaction between Tony and peter lately in the Spider-man books since New Avengers

Edited by Rob Hewitt on 01 February 2006 at 7:20pm

Rob Hewitt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 February 2006 at 7:20pm | IP Logged | 4  

That last pic that Rob Hewitt posted on the previous page looks a lot better than any of the previous shots we've seen.

No stingers helps.

Rob Hewitt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 February 2006 at 7:25pm | IP Logged | 5  

What the new suit can do SPOILERS (I think it could work for a story, if only to show why he doesn't need this stuff)

NRAMA: All right, now - the new costume specifically. What about Peter's emerging new abilities necessitates him needing a new costume with mechanical abilities?

JMS: It's not a matter of his powers necessitating the costume, as it is a case of coming closer to Tony in friendship and alliance. This is Tony's gift to Peter, but it also in a way kind of works to subsume Peter and Spidey under the Stark umbrella, and that has any number of hidden costs that Peter is going to run into.

NRAMA: We're sure you don't want to ruin any surprises, but what features of the new costume can you talk about? For instance, what is the function of the three arms/"pincher claws"?

JMS: The eyepieces in the suit can allow him to zoom in to objects at a reasonable distance and can record what they see; it's returned the webbing beneath his arms (which can come and go) and gives him the ability to glide for very short distances (as many spiders can glide on air currents). It has reinforced body armor, a GPS system, a built in communications system, and the arms can extend or retract from a system on his back. They can look around corners so that he can see the image in his eyepieces, much as army personnel now have video cameras that can look around corners, handle delicate work, and they can be used somewhat in a fight, but not a lot because they're not really meant for that.

NRAMA: For the record, why is there three of them? Given Peter has four other limbs, wouldn't four arms have made a certain amount of sense?

JMS: Joe Q drew three. Don't know why. I kinda thought four would give it symmetry and make it more spider-like, but I think Joe was going for something with a different silhouette, which makes it kind of eerie to look at...which has benefits of its own.

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 February 2006 at 7:41pm | IP Logged | 6  

" Isn't it all, in the end, just a rehash of what
happened to the Tarantula?"

This is in reference to one of Roger Stern's stories, right?

Emery Calame
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 February 2006 at 8:08pm | IP Logged | 7  

Spider-Man already had the ability to glide. He made hang gliders and parachutes out of his webs!

Edited by Emery Calame on 01 February 2006 at 8:08pm

Roger A Ott II
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 February 2006 at 8:14pm | IP Logged | 8  

JMS: Joe Q drew three. Don't know why.

Perhaps being able to count isn't a prerequisite for running the worlds largest comic book company?

Back to Top profile | search | www

Victor Rodgers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 February 2006 at 2:49am | IP Logged | 9  

QUOTE:
This is in reference to one of Roger Stern's stories, right?

That happened in his Will "O" the Wisp story.

Edited by Victor .R. Rodgers on 02 February 2006 at 7:04am
Back to Top profile | search

Guest Account0
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 February 2006 at 3:11am | IP Logged | 10  

The eyepieces in the suit can allow him to zoom in to objects at a reasonable distance and can record what they see; it's returned the webbing beneath his arms (which can come and go) and gives him the ability to glide for very short distances (as many spiders can glide on air currents). It has reinforced body armor, a GPS system, a built in communications system, and the arms can extend or retract from a system on his back. They can look around corners so that he can see the image in his eyepieces, much as army personnel now have video cameras that can look around corners, handle delicate work, and they can be used somewhat in a fight, but not a lot because they're not really meant for that.

I'm sorry. This is not Spiderman.  I simply don't recognise Peter parker anymore. Aunt may and Mary Jane are 1 dimensional. Whatever happened to MJs spirit?  Where are Glory,Jonah, John J, Randy, Robbie R and all of those supporting characters who were once part of the Spidey mythos.  Can Peter David bring back the quips Spidey made with villains..hope so.  He used to wise crack in the face of adversity. I know there has to be change as marvel time progresses but would Peter really loose touch with all of his supporting cast?? No more Esikiel or Spider gods.  Get him 'running' out of web fluid, having a day job, being human. Please, please, give us back peter parker.

Edited by Sean Paul Teeling on 02 February 2006 at 3:13am

Howard Mackie
Byrne Robotics Security
Armed and Dangerous

Posted: 02 February 2006 at 8:33am | IP Logged | 11  

Come on,guys, this is all just smoke and mirrors. Changes
come and go... mostly in the attempt to get a boost in
sales. In the end... and,eventually, there will be an
end...writers, edtiros,editors-in-chief leave. The
further the Spider-Man books drift away from the core
concept, the more satisfying the return.

Just take a deep breath and wait.

Howard

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 February 2006 at 8:38am | IP Logged | 12  

This is not Spiderman.

Nor Spider-Man.

<< Prev Page of 76 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version