Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 76 Next >>
Topic: Title Change: Spider-Man Thread (Now with New Costume) (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 February 2006 at 3:37pm | IP Logged | 1  

So, when Peter Parker sees that "man-spider" thing, is that just Peter deep in philosophical thought, is it mystical, or is he nuts?

Back to Top profile | search | www

Steve Jones
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 February 2006 at 3:37pm | IP Logged | 2  

I read JMS's interview and he struck me as being perfectly reasonable throughout. He never said that he was trying to fix anything at all with Spider-Man. About the origin, he asked a simple question which as far as I am aware hadn't been asked before.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

James C. Taylor
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 February 2006 at 3:41pm | IP Logged | 3  

Man-Spider, Man-Spider. Does whatever a man can do.
Business suit. Coat and tie. Will he eat all his fries? Look out! Here comes the Man-Spider!

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 February 2006 at 3:42pm | IP Logged | 4  

If all JMS did was ask a question, nobody would be bitching. If it was simply a question, what's the deal with Morlun, Ezekial (sp.?), the Spider-Totem, and so on? Not to mention, the Spider-Claw, and "Other" stuff.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 February 2006 at 3:47pm | IP Logged | 5  

JMS talks about Peter joining Stark on a business trip to Washington and says in the same interview he hasn't changed anything. He also makes this statement:

"When Brian first mentioned the idea of bringing Peter into the Avengers, it was something I could deal with or not in my book...but the more I thought about it, the more I liked the idea of not just having him play with the Avengers, but move in. He's always been a loner, and putting him in a team of peers and people he respects had a lot of appeal to it. I mean, how great would it be after a long day and a big fight to sit down over a cup of coffee with Captain America and have him walk you through some alternate strategies next time you're in a situation like that? And there would be no question that May and MJ would be safe in the midst of that bunch."

( emphasis mine)

Ok, this makes no freakin' sense whatsoever. If there would be no question then why aren't the Avengers still in Avengers Mansion? It's been demolished at least twice that I can think of ( by villains and fellow heroes alike) and he's saying this is the safest place they could be. Insane.

Back to Top profile | search

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 February 2006 at 3:48pm | IP Logged | 6  

Bullet Points sounds ok, tho. Still don't see why it's not a "What If", tho.

Rob Hewitt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 February 2006 at 3:54pm | IP Logged | 7  

NRAMA: From a storytelling POV, what story function does the costume serve? Is it just to changes things up and give you and readers a few new toys to play with for a while, or does it serve a more nuanced purpose than that?

JMS: Again, it's really designed to put Peter visually on Tony's side of the conflict, and bring those two closer together in a situation where that friendship is going to be tested significantly.

NRAMA: Any idea at this stage how long readers can expect this costume to be around?

JMS: We've always said that this is not going to be permanent. I don't want to give out specifics, because that would compromise aspects of Mark's Civil War story, but I'd certainly expect the original costume to be back sometime by 2007.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Stephen Robinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 February 2006 at 4:17pm | IP Logged | 8  

Spider-Man has never been Spider-Man. Doing the whole "inner spider" thing is a mistake. He's basically super gymnast -- the webbing was mechanical. And sticking to wall is spider-like but not so inhuman as to make him some sort of spider-monster.

Thomas Mets
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 February 2006 at 4:21pm | IP Logged | 9  

JMS: his old stuff is better.

I don't think he ever topped his first nine issues, but he does seem to do his best to build up short term interest in Amazing Spider-Man (with big events like Sins Past, Spider-Man moving in with the Avengers, The Other, and the road to Civil War.)

I'd still replace him with someone else (after giving him six issues to go out with a bang) simply because he is no longer attracting people to the Spider-Man book, and I believe a new writer could do better.

Possible replacements- Brian K Vaughan, Dan Slott

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 01 February 2006 at 4:21pm | IP Logged | 10  

Isn't it all, in the end, just a rehash of what
happened to the Tarantula?

Mike Bunge
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 February 2006 at 4:24pm | IP Logged | 11  

"Isn't it all, in the end, just a rehash of what
happened to the Tarantula?"

Except for the idea that this stuff has been inside Peter since before the beginning, there are similaities.

Mike

Trevor Krysak
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 February 2006 at 4:47pm | IP Logged | 12  

"Possible replacements- ...  Dan Slott"

I love it. It would be a perfect fit. I've enjoyed his work at Marvel lately. Seems to be doing new stories that are in keeping with what came before. They could use more of that at Marvel these days. Dan should take over for JMS on Spider-Man and the Fantastic Four.

<< Prev Page of 76 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version